Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this else where on this whole site, then found a section just for this bike. I have been riding a Vulcan 750 for bout a year now. I love the bike. But need something that is better for 2 people going on longer trips. I really like the 900 LT. I am trying to find out what people who don't work at a stealership have to say about the bike. What kinda problems does it run into? What maintence things does it have? I want to know more of the bad then the "oh its a great bike" I want balanced. I am going to test ride on this week. Problem is I found a guy who has one and unless there is something horribly wrong with it, it's a steal 06 3500 miles for $5500.

So I know this bike doesnt have ACCT's like the 750, but valve aint hard with the right tools, and if you can go 15k inbetween, then no problem. Just wonder how hard the valve cover are to get off with where they sit in the frame.

So basically tell all the pros and cons. I don't want to make another mistake, I bought the 750 not even a year ago thinking that she would be my perfect all around bike. Good for triping around town, short rides alone to long rides alone to long rides with 2. Space on this bikes doesn't seem to be a problem, but what bout power and handling? What about maintence issues?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love my 900LT. As for long trips two up, it will do it depending on your total weight that is being carried. If I were going to make several cross country trips a year, I might look at at least a 1300cc bike. But for occasional multi states it will do you nicely. It is the best bike around for my riding which is 90% within 100 mile area but an occasional overnighter.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I can't speak about maintenance issues, haven't had any of those yet but as far a ride and handling...The 900 is smooth on the highway and handles like a dream. The power is good too even riding two up. If I was going to spend a lot of time on the highway I might want something a little bigger but my 900 works great for my riding which is half around town and half on 200 to 300 mile trips.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok weird don't know why my 1st post went twice. who knows, when I take a sleeping pill and do things I forget them. its like getting blackout drunk without the headache in the morning.

yeah, don't plan to do any cross country trips. most of my riding is to work. and small 100 miles trips with my wife. one or two 250 milers. maybe more with this bigger bike. And load is mainly us and kit which aint over 350 pounds. me alone with kit is like 210.

what bout mech issues. I know it is a fairly new bike and sometimes it takes time for them to show up. heard some complaints of belt noise. I have shaft now and that is quiet, can't see belt being louder then chain. and I hope the engine would take care of most of that. or does the windshield help cut down windnoise enuf to hold that noise in?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had no complaints myself of belt noise or windshield noise. I only have a Classic, but put a Memphis Shades on and wonder why I ever rode without it. The only thing thats loud on my bike is the exhaust! When the bike is idling, you can hear the FI doing its thing, but thats no complaint. Roll on the throttle and it all goes away.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If your belt is noisy, it's because some ham-handed factory worker snugged it up too tight when he installed it. Have your dealer check the belt tension before you take delivery. The bike is now into it's fourth year of mfg. There aren't any known bugs. For the type of riding you described, the 900 is perfect. Now, that being said, there are certain noises that may appear. There can be a bit of tranny whine on down shifting, and you can, on occasion, hear the injectors firing/fuel pump working. Just means things are working as advertised. Motorcycles aren't exactly quiet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Apart from feeling like you need another gear above 70mph, I have no complaints with this bike. I think the power, style, and comfort for the money is the best bang for your buck. Would you want more power, maybe. Does it need it, not at all. I ride two up with a trunk and saddlebags and don't notice the difference from riding with nothing on. I have the stock suspension setting and it's fine. I weigh 180 and she weighs 120 for a reference.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Motorcycles aren't exactly quiet.
...REALLY... Never knew that...
Yeah I'm used to my 750 with DOHC you can always hear the ACCT's. They have whiring noise.

yeah liquid sounds I would have like the same weight. how is the suspension adjustable? is it air and dampeners in back? and since it is a mono shock how do you get to it?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that stuff is crazy. I have made post on VN750 sometimes and have no idea that I did it. and sometimes they are just a jumble of words

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I really hope my bank goes through with things. I came across a 07 LT, 11k miles. Has a mustang seat, driver backrest, aftermarket chrome pipes, power commander, light bar, all this for 5995. only draw back is it's at a dealer so that means sales tax and title fees. Cuz normally when I title stuff on my own, it turns out for weird reason the vehicle is a junker and I only paid 100 bucks for it. and sales tax on a 100 bucks aint bad.

Maybe they will give me a decent trade valve on my bike, then I wont have to try and sell it. ROLFLMAO

·
Registered
141 Posts
Jace, its good to know you have that problem too. Every time I buy a car or bike private, I get a deal of a lifetime. Who would think you can get a car thats two years old for $100? I suppose you just have to look!
As for the shock, I've always gone straight down through the seat or in through the side where the coolant reservoir is. In the tool kit that came with the bike, there is a curved wrench to adjust the shock. Everything 2007 and above has a 7 position adjustable shock and I think years prior only had 2 positions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got a left over 07 in October with no miles for $6,200. It's a custom, not an LT, but maybe you'll still be able to grind them down lower than $5,995.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah we'll see. It has a lot of accesories though. It has to have almost 2000 buck just in those. I am not sure what the pipes are, but if they are something decent that's 500 right there. A mustang with the driver backrest is close to 700. the rear luggage rack 150. the crash bars 250. the kuri highway pegs 90. the spot lights with the bar, and chrome lids on all 3 gotta be close to 500. the power commander I have no idea, but I would guess 300. oh yeah then there are the chrome edgeing on the front of the front fender, 150. then the frakin 'sweeet' air cleaner cover that says some crap like 'live free, ride hard' $10... that might be up for sale and trade for a stock cover, have to see it in person.
So with all that I am kinda thinkin I might not have much bargining power, but I can always try

·
Registered
533 Posts
You have more bargaining power than you think. For your pricing of the extras, you're high on the Mustang seat/light bar/hiway bars (unless they're Lindby). That "sweeet" a/c cover you named as $10 retails for $89. If you have the actual Power Commander you're pricing is about right, but with all that I'd consider adding a real aftermarket intake to go with the pipes/PC.

For the total of all the extras, the dealer may expect more, but the truth of the matter is that unless the buyer really, truly wants all of them, add up the total cost of what they cost new, then take no more than 25% of that and add it to the blue book price of the bike itself. They are not worth what was originally paid for on a used bike. Some will say they're only worth 10%. Yeah, you've got room. How much will depend on the dealer.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thing is KBB is $6435 and nada is $5995, but higher with some of the accesories. I know I was estimating a little high on things. But I know mustangs seats aint cheap if you buy them new. Plus they don't have any of the stock stuff with it. So if i wanted to remove any of it cuz i don't like it I would have to spend money, so that is a plus for me to bargin with.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I got the bike. Well it isn't in my possession, its a 07 with 11k something. they are putting a new tire on the rear, the OEM was down there on tread. The only thing is that it is a IRC which I only know for is making tires for bicycles. The other thing bout that tire is it is a 170 instead of a 180. but it is free.

It isn't a true LT. It was bought as a classic, had the Kawi shield put on, a mustang with driver backrest, passenger backrest, driver floor boards, spot lights with the eyelids, custom pipes that look alot like cobra's but dont have the logo on them (weird) power commander, engine guard with Kuri pegs, which I am 6 foot and I can barely touch them. I am goin to have to take my longhorn kuris off my 750. I kinda like that it isnt a true LT cuz I like the solid black versus the two tone colours. it has a chrome deal along the front fender in the front. it also has the moon cap on the front. has an aftermarket air cleaner cover with some saying on it. not sure if i like it.

man that thing sounds frakin sweeet. not as fast as my 750 but a whole lot smooother. i wish it had a tach and temp gauge not just a lite. the tach will be easy to fix, the gauge not so much.

i'll have to get some kuri grips and passenger floor boards. i gotta sell my 750 first. which means I have to finish painting and get the charging issue resolved.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Congrats! Oh yeah, we need pics!:D

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
they will be coming. just got back from the dealer had to ride 70 miles in 40+ degree rain. It was all about the detination not the journey today.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts