Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to the forum and have a 1994 Vulcan 750 bought it last fall and close to the end of November it wouldn't start. Decided to put it away for the winter and work on it early this year. Got it out in March and figured out it was the Starter Solenoid that went bad, replaced it and it fired no problem... now 2 months later I have the same problem, replaced it again and it is working fine for now. Was mainly just looking for anyones help if they have ever heard of this problem or have and clue what could be causing it or if I probably just got unlucky and got a bad replacement the first time or if something could be causing them to go bad. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
213 Posts
any updates on this Riffleman? Did you get any answers?

I would also suggest starting with testing the charging system. Unless you bought a used replacement solenoid, the odds of getting a bad one like that, or it suddenly going bad two in a row like that should be pretty rare.

If you don't have a shop/repair manual for your bike, there is a downloadable copy here:
VN750 Repair Manual

Also, I would advise coming over to VN750.com for some very in depth and specif help for this bike model. There are several very knowledgeable person on the forum and it is very active. Responses come pretty quick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the delay in response been busy with work and haven't had much free time. I actually went through another relay believe it or not unfortunately but I had the starter torn apart and looked at and a bushing was dried up inside and got that fixed but other then that haven't been fortunate to find any other issues, I'm gonna repost this in the 750 forum thank you for the advice! I appreciate all replys!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
You might check the battery cables, at both ends. A high resistance connection will pull additional current through the relay. However, you didn't say which part of the relay went bad. The activation coil or the switching contacts. That can help us with a diagnosis.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
A high resistance connection will pull additional current through the relay. .
Hmmm, that is contrary to Ohms law. Add resistance to a series circuit and current goes down, not up.

A dry starter bearing could cause the starter to bind or stall, and "that" would pull additional current through the solenoid and could burn the contacts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts