Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eye ballin the new Harley Road Glide Ultra, with all the touring googies. I must admit this to me looks like a great touring bike. 6gal tank,fixed fairing that im allready used to,all the bells &whistles Alarm , ABS standard 180 tire,6speed,103'' engine now standard,Sat on one talk about room really looks very nice!Has anyone seen the new road Glides yet? The price is a lot to stomach up there around 21.000$ Makes me sick the way these VV depretiate in value I owe 15,000 on mine Kelly book says worth 9.000 $ crazy Aint it! Resale are wear the Harleys do much better!! Anyways I woke up and will keep dreamin:rolleyes:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
new toy? tired of yor old toy(s) already. soon you will tire of that 'spensive toy and realize kelly blue book aint buyin hardleys no matter wat price they put on em. its the market that drives the price and demand is down. 21k for a new ultra? loaded? demand must be way down for new ones too. I'd bet 24k and then some. but times is times.

used hardleys arent faring no better than used japs. you are just tired of yor toy and wanting another new one. the hardley is a fine bike. so is your VV. they both go down the road in style and get you where your goin. one is got panache for the krowd and the other is got ching in the bank. watever floats your boat. its your boat.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You'd be hardpressed to get book value for a Harley these days. That book doesn't mean a lot anymore unless you're borrowing money from a bank. Market value tells the real story and economy is in the toilet right now. Yeah the VV drops quite a bit but so does the Harley except you will have WAY more invested in a Harley and therefore a lot more to lose.
I"ve been finding new leftover VV's for $13k ish, and so even at $9k that's only a $4k loss.
At $21k for a HD you will prob lose a little more than $4k AND have to find a buyer for a $16k-$17k used bike.
It's all relative with the re-sale issue. No one ever considers the buy-in cost relative to the resale value. Do the math and the VV isn't really a worse deal at all.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
new toy? tired of yor old toy(s) already. soon you will tire of that 'spensive toy and realize kelly blue book aint buyin hardleys no matter wat price they put on em. its the market that drives the price and demand is down. 21k for a new ultra? loaded? demand must be way down for new ones too. I'd bet 24k and then some. but times is times.

used hardleys arent faring no better than used japs. you are just tired of yor toy and wanting another new one. the hardley is a fine bike. so is your VV. they both go down the road in style and get you where your goin. one is got panache for the krowd and the other is got ching in the bank. watever floats your boat. its your boat.
I guess not tired,just dissapointed,the belt noise on my bike is driving me nuts,the dealers refuses to loosen the belt up as Im sure this is causing all the noises. And its ridiculus all the way up past 60mph jingle janging and a buzzing sound,you push the belt with your finger and it dont move! I can hear it over the radio! Might take it too a non dealership shop and have them loosen it up abit! And then ride it to see if theres any change.Its funny how the service dept.is at the dealerships they act like is the cardnal sin to back it off just a little. Its so tight now at 4-5mph you can feel the frame pulsing from the belt.Why are they so adimate over this it doesnt seem like it would hurt the bike to back it off,if anything you would think to tight would be more harmful,I dont know, just dissapointed is all !!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
dood, you need a real mechanic. you dont turn your own wrenches? I could never be so dependant upon a shop for ALL my work. well for that matter ANY of my work. loosen the belt yourself. it doesn't take 5 minutes. its not rocket science. it wont hurt your bike to run your belt loose, a bit loose, or a whole lot loose. well it could hurt the belt if it were a whole lot loose.. but thats not the point. Fix the dang thing and get on with enjoying your hot new toy.
man, if I ever had a shop guy tell me they couldn't/wouldn't do what I specifically told them to do.. I'd fire them on the spot. in front of thier manager and tell them in very specific language what exactly they can do with thier pisspoor service. I am the customer with KASH and I am the KING. they work for me. what part of that equation do you not understand? take their friggen warranty and stuff it where the sun dont shine. i'd be happy to drive that point home with my boot. ponchout

·
Registered
434 Posts
I guess not tired,just dissapointed,the belt noise on my bike is driving me nuts,the dealers refuses to loosen the belt up as Im sure this is causing all the noises. And its ridiculus all the way up past 60mph jingle janging and a buzzing sound,you push the belt with your finger and it dont move! I can hear it over the radio! Might take it too a non dealership shop and have them loosen it up abit! And then ride it to see if theres any change.Its funny how the service dept.is at the dealerships they act like is the cardnal sin to back it off just a little. Its so tight now at 4-5mph you can feel the frame pulsing from the belt.Why are they so adimate over this it doesnt seem like it would hurt the bike to back it off,if anything you would think to tight would be more harmful,I dont know, just dissapointed is all !!
is there a reason you don't loosen the belt up yourself?...:confused:

·
Registered
207 Posts
dood, you need a real mechanic. you dont turn your own wrenches? I could never be so dependant upon a shop for ALL my work. well for that matter ANY of my work. loosen the belt yourself. it doesn't take 5 minutes. its not rocket science. it wont hurt your bike to run your belt loose, a bit loose, or a whole lot loose. well it could hurt the belt if it were a whole lot loose.. but thats not the point. Fix the dang thing and get on with enjoying your hot new toy.
man, if I ever had a shop guy tell me they couldn't/wouldn't do what I specifically told them to do.. I'd fire them on the spot. in front of thier manager and tell them in very specific language what exactly they can do with thier pisspoor service. I am the customer with KASH and I am the KING. they work for me. what part of that equation do you not understand? take their friggen warranty and stuff it where the sun dont shine. i'd be happy to drive that point home with my boot. ponchout

So whats your point? What're ya tryin to say? Don't beat around the bush. Just say it man, don't be shy. :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
i looked at a streetglide before i purchased the vv. it was chain drive no belt :eek:

·
Registered
414 Posts
how hard is it to loosen the axle and back off on the adjusters.........:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
701 Posts
i looked at a streetglide before i purchased the vv. it was chain drive no belt :eek:
Ummmmmmm what year Harley. I looked at a 2010/11 and a 08 and they were all belt drive. This was before I bought my 2011 Nomad in June.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Loosen the belt, worked a charm on mine.

I have looked at the Road glide Ultra but they are only bringing half the bike to Australia. No top box No normal height windshield. Prices have dropped here by about $5000 on most Harleys, but they are still making a 33% killling on that bike at $32700 on the road instead of the US $22800 you guys pay.

Importers in Australia are just robbing us blind.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Buy a bike jack

Get a bike jack they are about $150.00 local price. A properly adjusted belt drive and aligned rear wheel will give you a nice quiet ride.
I sujjest you find a independant bike mechanic instead of the dealer if they wont do the work you want.

·
Registered
414 Posts
captj3.........2011 103ci street glide.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
So whats your point? What're ya tryin to say? Don't beat around the bush. Just say it man, don't be shy. :D
pokie,, am gonna need som new boots. or hafta klean these. ponchout

·
Registered
701 Posts
captj3.........2011 103ci street glide.
Yup I looked at the the 103ci and the 96ci street glide. I was originally looking at the Vaquero. I wanted to compare apples to apples or as close as I could get.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
no whining allowed. shut up. sit down. and drink your beer

I'm just curious. Do Harleys have these drive belt problems?
filly, NO. hardley owners are SO HAPPY to be part of the klub they dont whine about little insignificant noo'ahnses that might deter from their enjoyment and possibly get them ostrich'sized from the klub. 'sides if you heard all the loose marbles rattle'n on them motors, you'd be hard pressed to notice any dang belt squeek. And it is a HOG so squealin is x'pected. ponchout

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I test rode a Road Glide Ultra with tour pack. It felt smaller than the Voyager. The reach for some of the items on the fairing felt awkward. The handlebars had you leaning slightly forward and I like the rear of the Ultra Classic better but won't have a handlebar mounted fairing.

If you can buy a loaded road glide ultra with ABS, the big engine, etc for $21,000 you better jump on it. The one I road was more like $30,000.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I test rode a Road Glide Ultra with tour pack. It felt smaller than the Voyager. The reach for some of the items on the fairing felt awkward. The handlebars had you leaning slightly forward and I like the rear of the Ultra Classic better but won't have a handlebar mounted fairing.

If you can buy a loaded road glide ultra with ABS, the big engine, etc for $21,000 you better jump on it. The one I road was more like $30,000.
Actually sounds like a screaming bargain to me. I remember buying a Springer Softtail (FXSTS) in 1988 for $10,500. List price! just a bare bike with no added bling.
That same $10,500 in todays dollars is about $19,950, so it makes a loaded, 23 year newer Harley for $21K a bargain in my book!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts