Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I powder coated my V2K I have had trouble starting it. What happens when I start it is that when I hit the button it seems to have to build a load up to get the motor to crank over. I mean as soon as I hit the button it will cause the dash and lights to go dead before it starts to crank. Sometimes I will have to let off the button a couple times before it will actually start to crank. It doesn't happen all the time but most of the time.

I thought at first it was the power commander causing the issue due to the fact that is the only thing I changed that would have affected the motor. I bypassed the PCIII with no resolve.

I then replaced my battery thinking that it may be going bad because it was old and it was time anyways. Still the same issue.

When I try to start it I always have it in neutral and have the clutch pulled in but this doesn't seem to change the issue. When I am having the problem the bike seems to lurch forward when I start it and if I let off the clutch in neutral to let it idle the motor starts to lope but with the clutch pulled in it runs smooth.

I have adjusted the cable a couple times now and I can't seem to fix this problem. Thanks for any help.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
What did you have powder coated?

Ok, soo.. when you have it in neutral it tries to "lurch" forward when you start it????

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did you have powder coated?

Ok, soo.. when you have it in neutral it tries to "lurch" forward when you start it????
Damn near the entire bike. A few things got painted but in the end there is not chrome. Correct and it doesn't do it all the time. To add to the problem when I go to put it in gear it seems to be that the clutch doesn't feel like it's fully disengaged due to the fact that I have to stop the shifter to get it to go into first. Not all the time on this problem either. I know the clutch is disengaging but due to the fact it rolls around just fine with the bike running, in gear, and the clutch pulled in. I am stumped.

·
Registered
102 Posts
hi,your electrical problem sounds like you may not be getting a good earth to the frame and motor.powder coating in the way maybe.have you got the earth wires correct.you could try a jumper cable from the battery to the motor case. it would prove the earth problem when starting . some electrical components rely on frame contact particularly earth wires. powder coating is quite difficult to remove.im not sure about your lurching forward.is it doing it in neutral? if so it cant be correctly in neutral.have you been able to ride the bike? the clutch could improve with a ride.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
hi,your electrical problem sounds like you may not be getting a good earth to the frame and motor.powder coating in the way
You may be correct wrenchjocky. That could very well be his issue.

O.. hmm.. I jut re-read his post. HERE is the issue.

A few things got painted but in the end there is not chrome.
You've upset the balance of nature...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Can you hear the decompression solenoid activating when you hit the starter button? If it's not working that could be why the motor seems to "have to build a load up" before cranking over. However, it wouldn't have anything to do with the bike lurching.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you hear the decompression solenoid activating when you hit the starter button? If it's not working that could be why the motor seems to "have to build a load up" before cranking over. However, it wouldn't have anything to do with the bike lurching.
I have pondered the thought of the decompression solenoid not working or maybe I didn't put it back together correctly. I wasn't 100% sure on how to reinstall the damned thing due to the long period of time I took to get it back together. In that time I forgot how it came apart. I used the manual but I remember having questions that the manual didn't answer. Now, its been so long since I reinstalled it that I don't remember the questions I had.

Is there a way to test the solenoid to assure its working. Im not sure what it should sound like if it is working. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi,your electrical problem sounds like you may not be getting a good earth to the frame and motor.powder coating in the way maybe.have you got the earth wires correct.you could try a jumper cable from the battery to the motor case. it would prove the earth problem when starting . some electrical components rely on frame contact particularly earth wires. powder coating is quite difficult to remove.im not sure about your lurching forward.is it doing it in neutral? if so it cant be correctly in neutral.have you been able to ride the bike? the clutch could improve with a ride.
To be honest I dont see how it could be a ground problem unless I ripped one of the wires off during the time I had the rocker boxes off the heads. I didnt have to remove any cables or grounds to do the coating I did. If someone could tell me where the grounds are for the motor and frame I could check to be sure. I tried the jumper cables with no resolve.

It is doing it in neutral and I am assuring that it is in neutral due to the fact I can roll the bike with ease with the clutch lever out. I have put over 2k miles on the bike since I have been having the problem. I can still ride it is just this starting problem that is giving me fits. I dont want the bike to leave me stranded on a long ride due to the fact it wont turn over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts