Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
So had something really weird happen today at the end of a long ride.

About a week ago I installed a Denali soundbomb mini. Easy peasy, sounds much better than stock. Horn worked no problem. Had a couple short rides before today and no issues with the horn. Worked fine.

Today, just as I was exiting the highway the horn comes on by itself. And stays on!! Blaring. So I pull over. Turn the bike on and off and few times and the horn immediately blares when the bike turns on. So I disconnect one wire and ride home.

Get home and plug it back in and it blares by itself again. Disconnect it and plug the stock horn back in. It’s fine. Honks only when you press the button!! Ok, figure it’s the Denali that is the problem. Connect it back up for shits and giggles and it’s fine now (again).

Will say that when the horn was blaring pressing the horn button in the controls did nothing....

Any ideas what could make the horn come on and stay in all by itself??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
The relay I got with the compact Dual Tone Soundbomb went out in less than 3 months. Might be worth a check. You can get the same relay at Auto Zone or O'Reilly's for about $8.00. lotsa luck.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Yup, I am with Bearslayer. It sounds like a faulty relay. Water gets inside and it starts rusting. replace horn relay and bingo. All fixed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. This is my first bike so forgive my stupidity, but what relay are you talking about? The soundbomb mini didn't have a relay in the box, just the horn. It was a straight swap of the OEM disc horn....

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. This is my first bike so forgive my stupidity, but what relay are you talking about? The soundbomb mini didn't have a relay in the box, just the horn. It was a straight swap of the OEM disc horn....
A lot of horns don't come with relays. They expect you to buy their overly expensive add-on relays and wiring harnesses. Search this forum for "wiring relays", "horns", etc. Lots of good info, so no need to create a whole new instructable here. If you determine that you need a new relay, just get a standard 4-prong automotive relay (a 5-prong will work, but you're paying for capability not needed) from an autoparts store. For $5 - $8 you can get the same thing the horn mfgs sell for $15 - $20 or even more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So looking at more about my horn and on Denali's website, it appears my horn doesn't need/use a relay. It is meant to be a simple swap from from the OEM using the existing 2 wire connections. Went on a 1.5 hr ride since the issue happened, and it did not happen again. Fingers crossed, it was just a loose connection at the horn and re-seating the wires solved it.

Thanks for all the tips!

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
So looking at more about my horn and on Denali's website, it appears my horn doesn't need/use a relay. It is meant to be a simple swap from from the OEM using the existing 2 wire connections. Went on a 1.5 hr ride since the issue happened, and it did not happen again. Fingers crossed, it was just a loose connection at the horn and re-seating the wires solved it.

Thanks for all the tips!
Glad you figured the not needing a relay part out.

Now to the problem of the never ending horn: if it happened once, chances are that it will happen again. A loose connection at the horn will not cause that. The current to the horn must go thru the horn button, so that is where I would look. Press the horn button, the circuit closes and current goes to the horn. The button may be sticking closed sometimes. If it is a sealed unit, it may be going bad and may eventually need to be replaced. If it is not a sealed unit, you may be able to take it apart and clean it, much like you can the starter button. Maybe someone familiar with your bike can chime in as to what type of button it is.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Sabre-t, thx for your help. Makes sense that it would be the horn control button, but if that's the case wouldn't you think unplugging the horn completely (2 wires at the horn), and plugging it back in, the issue would continue if it were the control module? When I unplugged both wires from the horn and plugged them back in the issue stopped, and hasn't happened since.
Not sure if my horn control can be taken apart, I've never looked, but will check it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Horn possession

If you can get the schematic, start there.
Most horns are wired hot, and the horn button takes them to ground.
So, if you had the wire going to the horn button from the horn get pinched, to where it has a hole in the insulation, that could cause your cacaphony.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Hi Sabre-t, thx for your help. Makes sense that it would be the horn control button, but if that's the case wouldn't you think unplugging the horn completely (2 wires at the horn), and plugging it back in, the issue would continue if it were the control module? When I unplugged both wires from the horn and plugged them back in the issue stopped, and hasn't happened since.
Not sure if my horn control can be taken apart, I've never looked, but will check it out.
Depending on the button internals, unplugging and replugging while a circuit is getting power will sometime cause sticking contacts in a button to open up. If you unplugged/replugged while no power was on the circuit, then probably, no. But Teledog74 may be on to something, too...

If you can get the schematic, start there.
Most horns are wired hot, and the horn button takes them to ground.
So, if you had the wire going to the horn button from the horn get pinched, to where it has a hole in the insulation, that could cause your cacaphony.
And by unplugging and replugging the wires, you jostled them enough to eliminate the short, at least temporarily. Finding a short like that would require close inspection of the wire to find the spot where the insulation cut or missing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts