Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum and didn't find anything on point, so I'm looking for suggestions, advice, etc.

I have a 2011 Vaquero. I'm riding more and more with several buddies from work who all communicate via CB's. (Virtually all ride ultra classics.) I know i can get the OEM CB hook up for my bike but I'm not interested in such a permanent rig.

For those times i ride with others that use a CB, I'd like to set up a portable system. (easy on and off). I'm thinking of a midland 75-822 portable radio that can run from a battery or DC cable and use the unit antenna. I can rig this to the bars. Then i just need to buy the headset and PTT switch.

Anyone ever done this? Any pics? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have thought of trying to same thing but do not want throw the money away if it dose not work. The Midland 75-822 is the only one that I have found like that. It looks as handy as a pocket on a shirt.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I searched the forum and didn't find anything on point, so I'm looking for suggestions, advice, etc.

I have a 2011 Vaquero. I'm riding more and more with several buddies from work who all communicate via CB's. (Virtually all ride ultra classics.) I know i can get the OEM CB hook up for my bike but I'm not interested in such a permanent rig.

For those times i ride with others that use a CB, I'd like to set up a portable system. (easy on and off). I'm thinking of a midland 75-822 portable radio that can run from a battery or DC cable and use the unit antenna. I can rig this to the bars. Then i just need to buy the headset and PTT switch.

Anyone ever done this? Any pics? Thanks for any advice.
Try J&M audio, good folks there

http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=31

·
Registered
894 Posts
J&M has a handle bar mount system that I used with great results on my Sabre. They have older ones that used the Cobra 38WX (I think) - I probably still have that set up in a box somewhere . . . It works fairly well too - You'll do fine when riding in the group but if one guy is a half mile away - you might not hear him or he might not hear you . . . I'll dig though my boxes if you want . . .

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
J&M has a handle bar mount system that I used with great results on my Sabre. They have older ones that used the Cobra 38WX (I think) - I probably still have that set up in a box somewhere . . . It works fairly well too - You'll do fine when riding in the group but if one guy is a half mile away - you might not hear him or he might not hear you . . . I'll dig though my boxes if you want . . .
Thanks very much. I'd apperciate that.

·
Registered
432 Posts
A trucker perspective

I have owned and used handhelds before. They are so so. Range is severely limited, maybe a half mile to a mile while standing still with no structures between you and another unit. Moving at speed would probably decrease the range more. But for close communication between bikes probably would work well enough.

It is possible to connect a better antenna to them there is an adapter available at most truck stops and probably at the radio shack. A better antenna would give you more range. There are various mounting options magnets, vise grips, bolt on brackets etc

The output from these small units isn't very much so don't expect to talk very far even with a better antenna.

The major problem I see with using one of these on a bike would be when you try to talk the mic on a handheld will not have any kind of noise cancelling and all that wind and noise will make whatever you say to someone impossible to make out unless you are sitting still. Although you would be able to listen in on them if you use some kind of in ear headphone.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks for the trucker perspective bama! The Handle bar mount one I had on my Sabre (J&M 2003CB) and the old school hand held all feed into a helmet mount speaker/mic combo. Wind noise is minimal and sound is good. The Handle bar mount one provided better range, but the hand held with the Integrator (1st Gen) was great for group rides . . . where those you are talking too aren't too far away.

Though the best option I have found yet on a Scoot is the One installed on my Voyager . . .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts