Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'07 900 vulcan. I debaffeled the pipes. Now it seems to pop a little more when I get off the throttle. Love the throaty sound but the popping is not cool. Do I need to make adjustments somewhere?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Question for ya... is it just at start up, then goes away when the bike is warmed up? That's how mine runs after debaffle, and doesn't bother me. It's not really something that wasn't happening before, you just hear it now with the debaffle.

2 solutions, if it really bugs ya, is to marble the beast and/or get a fuel controller, both of which are searchable topics on here. If ya still don't have an answer by the time I get home from work, I'll try to search out the threads for ya.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Look up marbling here on the forum. It's not the be all end all, but it's easy and I think you'll like the results.

·
Registered
427 Posts
As I understand it, the popping was, for the most part, always there, but the baffles made it so you just didn't hear it. Without those there, you're simply hearing that which has for the most part always been there, but you just didn't know it. As such, it is normal...but if you don't care for it, you can try one of the remedies mentioned above. I did the marbling, and had less success than I've read others have had, but it's quick and easy and worth a shot.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I think a bit of popping is cool. Ussually some small amount of un-burnt fuel combusting in the pipe I belive. Without the baffles and what ever else was in there, you hear this "in pipe explosion" now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 06 Vulcan I bought backfires(pops) quite a bit. At times I find it to be a cool sound, but other times I find it annoying, because I keep thinking it really shouldn't be doing it. My bike has Hard Krome Stripper pipes, so not sure if that was normal.
-Rob

·
Registered
427 Posts
The 06 Vulcan I bought backfires(pops) quite a bit. At times I find it to be a cool sound, but other times I find it annoying, because I keep thinking it really shouldn't be doing it. My bike has Hard Krome Stripper pipes, so not sure if that was normal.
-Rob
Mine has the same pipes and also pops.

To the OP, might also want to check the gasket seals and make sure they're tight. If there's air leakage, that can exacerbate the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
'07 900 vulcan. I debaffeled the pipes. Now it seems to pop a little more when I get off the throttle. Love the throaty sound but the popping is not cool. Do I need to make adjustments somewhere?
I'm going to assume the decel popping is happening to you throughout the RPM range at zero throttle. If you didn't remove the pipes to de-baffle then the gaskets are probably still good. As suggested, tighten the acorn nuts to 12 ft/lb. just to be sure. Next, again as suggested, remove or plug the PAIR (secondary air) system. The PAIR is nothing more than a means to burn any unburned fuel that exits the engine. Removing the PAIR does not affect the performance of the bike, only reduces the decel popping. Let this forum know your results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Popping is gone!

I want to thank everybody for the help on my 900 custom popping on decel. I went to the gas station and this time, filled up with regular gas. I was using premium. It has stopped completly. Strange, but it worked. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I want to thank everybody for the help on my 900 custom popping on decel. I went to the gas station and this time, filled up with regular gas. I was using premium. It has stopped completly. Strange, but it worked. Thanks again guys.
There's been a lot of discussion/debate on that issue as well...;)
I don't get how it can make that much of a difference, but you're not the first that's reported this phenom.
Like others, I think the bike's OEM "hear no evil" muffler system masks decel popping that occurrs on most of our bikes...:cool:
I'll find out for sure when I get around to uncorking my pipes...and I might run a tank of Premium through just to see if it makes a diff on my bike.
Interesting....

·
Registered
121 Posts
It seemed to work the other way around for me. Premium got my engine less popping at decel. But after couple fill-ups it's still annoyingly back to more popping now so I'm stumped. I'm going to look at marbling next.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have an issue hopefully someone can help. I have done a debaf, drilled 8 3/8 holes and knocked out the plugs. I really like the sound and right now it is better than spending 500+ dollars on a aftermarket exhaust. Anywho, I have NO popping on decel(did not do the marble mod) but I have this whistling sound when I let off the throttle. It does whether it is moving or sitting. Should I try to drill the holes a little bigger? Has anyone had or heard of this issue? Thanks for any input.
Traumahawk

Well I went ahead and drilled the holes with a 1/2" bit, and no relief from the whistling on decel and idle. I will buy some marbles tomorrow and try the marbling and see if that works.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an 09 Classic and I also get a slight popping sound when I decelerate. I havent' touched the stock pipes, but it started after I installed a K&N air filter.

The sound's not too bad and I've learned to live with it. According to my owner's manual, I need to run fuel with an anti-knock (octane) rating of 90 or better in my bike. So I've always filled up with premium.

·
Registered
50 Posts
why would you do that

The baffels are thier for a reason . now you know why. I'll bet you did'nt know that is also hurts your low end torque because you have less back pressure.but it wont mess up you engine. get some after market pipes they will improve the preformance and sound better.its worth the cash..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the marbling tip, folks. So happy with the result after I marbled my EGR(?) hose. A 5 min job! Fyi, I have no aftermarket intake but I do have a Britt exhaust. Backfire/popping 90% gone. Remains to be seen what happens in future of course but right now the exhaust roar is dandelion.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks for the marbling tip, folks. So happy with the result after I marbled my EGR(?) hose. A 5 min job! Fyi, I have no aftermarket intake but I do have a Britt exhaust. Backfire/popping 90% gone. Remains to be seen what happens in future of course but right now the exhaust roar is dandelion.
By marbling you've simply shut off fresh air from entering your exhaust system. Without the O2 mixing with the super hot unburned A/F mixture, there's no burn or decel pop. Unless your exhaust gaskets start leaking, the popping shouldn't return.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts