Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 LT with just under 30k on the clock.

Checked wheel bearings about 1k ago when I replaced the rear tire.

Belt and pulleys look good.

A Harley friend of mine suggested spraying silicone on the belt which I did and it made no change. In the past I have used HD Poly oil on the belt to get rid of the squeal.

Cant hear the pop when riding except when rolling up to a stop sign.

Watch the You Tube video to see what Im talking about. https://youtu.be/jhW-xYNXcEw

Anyone had this happen or know what it is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Is the belt too tight?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the belt too tight?
It may be. It just dawned on me that last year just before I stored it for the winter I did a little rolling burnout and it felt like the belt skipped a few teeth so I snugged it up a bit. Its very well possible that I went to far.
I will check it here in just a little bit.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
I would check your front drive sprocket, sounds like the noise it gives when its stripped on the shaft.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The '07 shouldn't have that problem. I think that was an '04 issue. Plus, he is in neutral and off the ground turning it by hand. There is no resistance against the output shaft.

I've heard this noise before and will bet he is too tight.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
If it's to tight, the belt will be all "snug" in the teeth when it comes around the top of the pulley.

That popping sound is it being forced out of the teeth...

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Ha, Everybody is wrong. Its the car tire Man. LOL. Somebody had to say it.

Honestly, Sounds like the belt popping into the pulley to me too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yep what Smed said.

Also check alignment the rear wheel is correctly set up and running straight to ensure the belt is not 'clipping' the inner belt (closest to the wheel side, not the swing arm side) guide on the rear pulley. Being that the innner guide is thin pressed steel thing (from memory) this will definitely help make that noise as each tooth strikes it and attempts to ride up.

If anything whip that plastic belt cover off to get a decent view of how the belt is interacting on the rear pulley. turn the wheel slowly forward and see if the return side (bottom) of the belt is attempting to climb up on the guide and jump/slide off again. If it is the return side of belt will sort jolt about as each tooth jumps/slides off the inner guide.

Hope I'm being clear enough with my wordings cos Jeeesh, this was easy to say in my head than write down, lol
Ando

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

A bit of a update and a question.
I noticed as soon as I broke the axle nut loose and released pressure from the swing arm but not yet touched the adjusters that the popping went away . Tighten the axle nut and the pop was back.
I then loosened the adjusters about 2 turns and with axle nut tight no pop.

I figured since I was this far I may as well pull the wheel and check the bearings.
All of the bearings feel good with no play or rough spots.

I however did notice when loosing the axle nut it seemed like the swing arm was squeezed together a good bit. Let me explain that better if I can.
It seemed like a spacer or something was missing and causing extra clearance between the wheel spacers and swing arm.
I looked the manual over and compared parts to what I had and Im not sure but I think I'm missing a part. Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be
a spacer or anything between the hub bearings and the wheel bearing on the hub side?
In the parts pic the part in question is the one circled in red.

When I pulled my hub there are no spacers or anything between the hub bearings and wheel bearing

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After a bit more looking at it I noticed the inner race on the hub bearings are a larger diameter than the axle shaft is so I know I'm missing a part because as it is right now my hub bearings are just along for the ride and aren't even in contact with anything on the inner race and I know how and when it got lost.

Before winter my buddy who also owns a Vulcan 2000 was thinking about making the switch to a car tire on his bike but was worried it wouldn't clear his trailer hitch so I pulled my wheel and sent it home with him so he could mount it up on his bike to check fit.
I told him to use his hub and pulley just in case the tooth count was different.

When he brought my wheel and hub back he reported having problems getting his hub to fit my wheel so he put my hub back in my wheel and counted teeth to make sure they were the same.
So when I put it all back on my bike I never noticed anything missing.

Oh and some where along the way he managed to warp my brake rotor as well:mad: but he paid for a new one so were good there.
He has a ass chewing coming tomorrow as this will be the 3rd time I have had the wheel off because of his stupidity and I guess mine as well for ever letting him use my wheel with out me being there.
So it seems I need to order part # 42036 which is collar A in the pic or am I mistaken?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And I now know why his hub would not fit my wheel. He has a 05 single bearing hub and mine is a 07 double bearing hub.
Amazing what you can learn if you just open your eyes and look.:D

I ran with out that part for about 350 miles and Im now worried that it may have taken its toll on the hub bearings from being side loaded against the outer spacer and worried about the wheel bearings because they had to do there job plus the hub bearings job.

They feel and look ok but I worked in a meat packing plant for 24 years and I have seen bearings go out over night that checked good the day before.

So whats you thoughts ? Change all bearings and dust seals or do you think 350 miles was enough to hurt them?
Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Um.........................................Bugger!

On the good side, at least ya figured out wtf was wrong eh, good sleuthing man.

Re the bearings, having been an industrial sparky for many years, bearings were always a common point of failure in machinery. Fine one day, roaring, seized or shattered the next. In all honesty, I would replace em, being they are sealed units with the dust/grease seals ya can't see/inspect em closely for fatigue/wear. Besides they're cheap as chips and it removes any doubt around failure etc.
Ando

1 - 14 of 14 Posts