Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! My 97 1500d2 is coughing at the carb and popping at the exhaust with occasional (sweet looking but probably bad) flames. I'm told I need to adjust the pilot screw. I have no idea where it is and cant seem to find a guide/pics after an hour of searching. Can anyone assist?

Edit: I bought it with a set of Vance and Hines pipes that are loud as hell and the insides of them are very sooty as well. The guy I bought it from wasn't sure if the carb had been re jetted.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Might be an exhaust header leak if whoever put the new pipes in didn't use new crush gaskets or didn't seal them properly.

If you can't find the pilot screw adjustment, it's probably because it's never been touched and the lead plug over the screw hasn't been drilled out. I know some guys replace pipes without rejetting as long as you keep the stock air, but I've never been a fan of that. These bikes are carefeully balanced from the factory between optimum performance and optimum fuel efficiency to meet EPA standards.Thus, they are already on the lean side. Opening up the exhaust without opening up the air just makes more noise but it also reduces exhaust velocity, reducing the scavenging effects of unburnt fuel and allowing it to detonate in the header pipes.

I would add that at if it is a 1997 and has never been opened up, that carb is years overdue for a teardown and cleaning and replacing the rubber bits.
How many miles on it?

Here's a pretty decent page on carbs. http://www.vulcangadgets.com/files/keihin_carb.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
while you're doin that carb clean/rebuild be sure and check the (not sure of the name) cutoff diaphragm? ?, usually on the side of the carb. IF your partic'lr bike has one.
'sposed to cut down on backfires n such.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello! My 97 1500d2 is coughing at the carb and popping at the exhaust with occasional (sweet looking but probably bad) flames. I'm told I need to adjust the pilot screw. I have no idea where it is and cant seem to find a guide/pics after an hour of searching. Can anyone assist?

Edit: I bought it with a set of Vance and Hines pipes that are loud as hell and the insides of them are very sooty as well. The guy I bought it from wasn't sure if the carb had been re jetted.
I had similar problem with the bike I bought that had V&H long shots. It hadn't been re-jetted and had a bad flat spot down low, and yes.. they ARE LOUD!. I figured I'd try these baffles to give it some back pressure & tone down the sound a bit.. They worked GREAT! Love the way my bike runs now and how it sounds, plus they're a breeze to install.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Drag-Specialties-8-25-Exhaust-Baffle-Fiberglass-Wrap-Fits-2-25-OD-Exhaust-Pipe/254237786836

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello, Vulcan guy,
Nice To "meet" you,
have a , fixer her upper,,1991 Vulcan 88 I recently purchased February this year . Alwayz wanted a large cc Kawasaki bike, to wrench on, jus bled clutch, replaced clutch spring, wow! Purchased a cordless impact wrench 750 lbs torque, got that clutch retaining bolt off in 2 seconds, after I spent a hour attempting by hand, lol!.
The fella has straight pipes that run length of bike to behind the rear tire no baffles I have the usual sputtering Poppin xcetera she idles perfect after warm up runs out fine ,cruises at 82 headed up to 115 mphwith more left in the gas tank, on ride home. 200 + miles from Mississippi bac in Feb this year.. the fella had new plugs, looks like that's all he's done for years, amazing bike to me with so little maintence.takes some gettin use to, the tractor like pull from a dead stop, 4 speed, shaft drive, little unnerving the power, love it!
I'm a sixty-year-old do-it-yourselfer trying to learn not very experienced with in depth repairs, gonna give it a go with the 1500, that eBay link for the baffle I'm going to measure my pipes to see if that'll work I do need to quieten it down I have some Barney type police here in Prattville Alabama it seemed to cock their heads a bit when I go by although I let off the gas. What's it take to install??
I saw on Ebay, to drill a hole??
Tks John

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, you can drill a hole, BUT all I did was remove that screw & smack the end with a hammer. This caused it to "oval" a bit, and I simply shoved them in, tapping it into the pipes at the very end, wedging it snuggly into the pipes. They have not come out or loosened, but I can pull them out with visegrips. Yeah, talk about lazy.. doesn't get much easier :) I've been "mechanical" most of my life & am older than you, but am also impressed with the very little maintenance these big V-twins require. Oh, by the way.. I believe you're going to love the higher pitched raspiness of the pipes with those baffles in.. I love the way mine sounds! Also, have gone to the dark side & can't begin to describe the improvement that made to my $600 beater :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Yes, you cab drill a hole, BUT all I did was remove that screw & smack the end with a hammer. This caused it to "oval" a bit, and I simply shoved them in, tapping it into the pipes at the very end, wedging it snuggly into the pipes. They have not come out or loosened, but I can pull them out with visegrips. Yeah, talk about lazy.. doesn't get much easier :) I've been "mechanical" most of my life & am older than you, but am also impressed with the very little maintenance these big V-twins require. Oh, by the way.. I believe you're going to love the higher pitched raspiness of the pipes with those baffles in.. I love the way mine sounds. Also, have gone to the dark side & can't begin to describe the improvement that made :D
I have the Cobra Lowboy Shotguns and they were LOUD. I bought some 12" baffles, and went to a body shop to buy a roll of some 4" wide fiberglass fabric and they ended up just giving me about a third of a roll. I wrapped the baffles with those and it is still loud but not as loud and certainly not as sharp sounding. It's a nicer rumble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts