Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired a used 2015 Vulcan 900 Classic LT from a Kawasaki dealer. It has been a great motorcycle and seems to run very well. My only complaint is the popping and backfire on deceleration. This is most noticeable when running above 35 mph and then completely turning down the throttle as I often do when preparing for a stop. The prior owner installed a Vance & Hines exhaust. I am mechanically incompetent, but I suspect the prior owner did not properly recalibrate the air / fuel mixture subsequent to installation. I can live with the situation as is, but unfortunately I am a perfectionist. I do not necessarily need the louder exhaust intended with the Vance & Hines, so I could search out a OEM exhaust and have it installed. My other choice is to keep the Vance & Hines and somehow calibrate the air / fuel mixture. Maybe I have not properly diagnosed the situation. If you have expertise in this area, I would appreciate your opinion as to the most economical solution for someone who is not mechanically gifted. ty

·
Registered
74 Posts
Personally I would just buy a fuel management system. It’s a mod that gets wired in that will allow you to modify your fuel rations during various rpm ranges. The more money you spend on the system the easier it is to modify. They have units you adjust yourself, ones adjusted from factory, and ones that automatically adjust as you ride. The automatic ones are around 300-400 dollar range but will allow you to avoid purchasing a new exhaust and allow further installation of other performance devices without further adjustment. In the long run I would highly suggest it for peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
This popping on deceleration can most probably be stopped by blocking off the air hose on the back of the intake. A wire nut will do it fine. Do a web search for marbling and you will run across some write ups for it.

Beyond that, I really like the improvement with the ivan flash but your issue is much simpler.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I did the new air and pipes also the fuel tuner. I still get a little popping from time to time. I don't worry to much about it. I've been around a lot of Hardleys that back fire more than my 9.

·
Registered
171 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts