Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Bad experience this weekend on my 12 Voyager. Was leaving a parking spot leaning slightly right when the bike popped out of first. Needless to say the bike went down like a rock. I tried to catch it by putting my feet down... Well forget that. The floorboard fell on my ankle and sent me over! I layed there for a minute trying to determine if my ankle was broken, fortunately it was not.
Let me ask these questions:
Have any of you experienced the 1700's popping out of gear? Is that typical?
When the behemoth decides to go over, is it wise to just let it?
Thanks for any incite!
Chuck

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I don't know about your 1st gear issues as I do not own a voyager or any other 1700 line of bike, but if you know you have reached the point of no return when the bike is falling. The best thing to do is let it and get out of the way. I have saved a few and I have let a few go. Its more about how much weight can you hold up with your legs, back, and arms. That much weight will reap havoc on your back if you try too hard. The last 2 times I dropped my bike (V2K last year, 1600 mean streak 6 year ago) I knew there was no saving it so I just planted my back side foot and let the bike go down. The V2K I was almost sitting still but the mean streak was in wet grass after I got done riding and it slid a good 8-10 feet. I had to run to keep my self from falling when I realized there was no hope (Front tire slid out)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have not had any issues with my Vaq with the gears but as far as the bike going over........ It happened to me the other week. I was in a parking lot on a hill so I could back it into the spot like i normally do and when I went to leave it got a little off balance and started going over. I wasn't moving very fast as I was walking it but once I realized it was going I just controlled the lay over to prevent as much damage as possible. It layed on the floor board and didn't do any damage at all. Picked it up and went on my way a little embarresed seeing as it happened in the police parking lot with a cop pulling in right when it went over.

I would say that if it is going just let it go keep clear as possible to prevent injury but try to control it at low speed.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
When you first realize you can't stop it from going over... Get your legs and feet out of the way. A $300 plastic part is far cheaper than a $40,000 doctor bill.... not to mention loss of work and pain...

Falling over may break a couple cosmetic things, but it will still be drivable.

Did yours have the lifter noise for a bit after it went over?

When the wind blew my Voyager over it cost $205 in new parts. But I was not on it.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I've never had an issue in 1st.
But, on rare occasion, it does't like to go into second.

Scott

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've never had an issue in 1st.
But, on rare occasion, it does't like to go into second.

Scott
I've had that happen with my old nomad. So far so good with the vaquero, but I only have 850 miles so far.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Never had my Vaquero pop out of 1st, that would certainly lead to a dump if in a corner!

I always say once 800+ pounds starts going down, get out of the way. Unfortunately, I seldom follow my own advice and have suffered more than one injury from it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've never had mine pop out of gear, but it's been down twice. First time was when I kicked it into neutral (or so I thought) at a gas station and let out on the clutch, second time was when I stopped in a gravel parking lot and my left foot sank in the gravel. When I had my 900, it was easy to save from a tip over. With the Voyager,no way. The way I look at it, that's what it has crash bars for. I just let it go and pick it up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Never had 1st pop out on my 2010 but then again the 2009 and 2010 have straight difrent 1st adn 2nd gears then the newer ones.
Law of tonnage the bike wins if it is falling over.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Looks like I got into the wrong size bike forum--I have a 500 LTD. However, once I dropped my 800 Classic after fishtailing to a dead stop on hot, recently-laid asphalt; a policeman drove through the construction zone right past me. I told my husband to "Pick up the bike!" and he did (well, that was 10 years ago). He jumped back on his bike, I managed to start the Vulcan, and we got out of that construction zone. The worst was when he had a
GL1800, put the kickstand into a hole, and let it fall onto my brand new bike. Doghouse for ages!

I'll have to admit, the 500 LTD is the way to go for me now, and my husband has a 650 Vstrom. Our bikes got bigger, and now as we get older the bikes are getting smaller. You guys with the heavier bikes have much better I-dropped-my-bike stories, though.

Diane

·
Registered
84 Posts
Never popped out of first but have you had this problem? Occasionally i forget to downshift when approaching a stop sign or light. Just before i come to a stop I am quickly trying to shift down thru all the gears. It gets stuck in some mystery gear that doesnt come up on the display. After fiddling and using both the heal and toe i will finally get it down to first.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Every once in a while my 900 will pop out of first and it's entirely my fault. If I don't firmly put it in gear it'll pop out under power. Sometimes I'll catch myself gently tapping the shifter and letting out the clutch out of habit and sure enough, 'pop' 'VROOOM'.

Luckily it's never caused me to drop by bike. But, once in a blue moon, I'll do that. Is there a chance you just didn't get it firmly in gear? The 1700 has a super easy first gear, from what I've felt when I rode one.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
like the 900 I owned before, my Cross Roads will hop back out of first if I don't shift in from neutral with some authority. Never had it cause me to lose the bike, a week after I bought the XR, I was pulled into a truck stop parking lot and parked with my nose facing down a mild grade. I held the brakes till my wife climbed off, then let go to climb off myself. Didn't think a damn thing about it since I used to park the Vulcan like that all the time, but I had the bike in neutral and it went ahead and rolled right off the kickstand. I was able to keep it up with my wife's help since she was standing right there, but man, I was embarrassed.

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't baby the shifter, I tend to stomp fairly hard into my gears so maybe this is why I have never popped out of one. Love the heal toe shifter on the 1700 very easy to step the gears up and down.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sorry to hear , on my vaquero it shifst hard and loud but it hasnt come out of gear and i did dump it once in a parking lot , i felt like an idiot but everyone ran to my rescue , These bikes weigh alot and now im used to it. Can happen to anyone. :confused:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Years ago when I was in a month long training class with road kings we all dropped them several times. They never really got damaged because the crash bars do thier job. Some of us dropped them and they would roll over on a hill. We would have to run down the hill and pick them up ourselves. Never saw one break down from a fall. One of the instructers after training us to just let them fall tried to catch his rk from falling. We didn't him again during the training. Spent a week in hospital and amonth out of work. My Nomad fell over In my garage and I was horrified but, when I lifted it back up no damage.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not here

I do believe what was said here that the popping out of first is a light touch issue (nothing personal). I have seen myself when liesurely down shifting lightly tap the shifter and when I let the clutch out it will move to nuetral. I can see the issue if you are trying to get off the bike though.

I make it a habit not to exit the ride until it come to a comp,lete stop - moter and all!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
sort of

A week or so ago, I was starting up and had a hard time getting into neutral.
I am always in 1st when I shut down. Anyway, I'm not sure if it was a transmission fault, or not on the kickstand completely, but it idled forward and fell over on the fender of my car. Nothing noticable on the bike but huge scratch in the paint on the car. BTW, it had sat overnight on the stand, so I'm not sure what happened.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts