Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Do you change your own oil, and why, or why not?

• Yes, I change my own oil.

Votes: 37 92.5%
  • No, I pay somebody to change my oil.

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of you talk about working on your own bikes and lots of you talk about taking them into the dealers for repairs and/or maintainence. So, lets talk about oil changes. Do you change your own oil? Why, or why not? If you don't, is it because you don't have time, you don't know how, or you don't want to get your hands dirty? If you do, is it because you want it done right, you're a cheap bastard, or you like to get your hands dirty? Please vote and feel free to comment on your reasons for why you do or don't change your own oil!

I personally change my own oil because I'm a cheap bastard and I want it done right.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I change mine because I am my own bike shop! No one can beat my prices! ;-)

·
Registered
399 Posts
ME ME ME, Sorta!

I plan to change my own oil as part of regular service, but will leave most of the engine maintenance to the shop. I'm coming up on the 600 mile service on this new bike and plan to have the shop do it all the first time.

I prefer to see the old oil and use that information to further tune the bike.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I change my own for various reasons
1) I'm a cheap bastard
2) I know it's done right
3) I'm just over an hour from the closest shop that'll touch a metric scoot
4) I enjoy working on my own stuff. In what seems like a previous life I was a mechanic and I still make a living working with my hands. To me quality time in the garage with my scoot is priceless.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I do as much of my own work as possible. I think it's important to understand the motorcycle and how to do maintenance on it. I bought the classic as a leftover from the dealer. That's the last time they'll see me except when I haul my rims in for tires. Everyone should have a motorcycle jack, torque wrenches, and some decent tools for basic work. Changing the oil is such a simple task I couldn't bring myself to pay for someone else that may or may not do it correct. (Overfill, forget to drain all plugs, over torque the filter, etc) It's a waste of money to send a bike to a dealer for general maintenance unless you have no other option or are rich. I say grab the service manual and go for it! I'm always learning stuff on bikes. So far I haven't screwed anything up to the point I lost money or had to go crawling to the dealer!

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I change my own oil. I'm not a mechanic by any means, so this is something I CAN do. This and things like installing accessories (hard bags, risers, etc.) Anything more complicated than that, or things that could cost a lot more if I accidently screw it up, I leave to the experts.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm with KsVn900

"I change my own for various reasons
1) I'm a cheap bastard
3) I'm just over an hour from the closest shop that'll touch a metric scoot
4) I enjoy working on my own stuff. In what seems like a previous life I was a mechanic and I still make a living working with my hands. To me quality time in the garage with my scoot is priceless."

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm with KsVn900 and racerX, except for the one hour to a shop part. I do all of the maintance work on my bike (and pick-up and better-half's car) for the same reasons. Plus, the best way (for me) to truely know about something mechanical works is for me to take it apart to personally see how it works.

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great! So far, everybody here changes their own oil! Yet, I wonder why no one responded, or voted, that they don't change their own oil. Is it because the members on this forum are so helpful and encouraging to one another that we just can't resist doing our own maintenance? Or are we just a bunch of wrench heads?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I do all my own maintenance now as well as the recent rebuild of top end.
I had numerous issues taken care of by dealer on warranty (extended+service) and thought I made money on the deal, later to find out that in the tech's hands, my bike suffered to his lack of experience.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I change mine because it is so easy and seems weird to drop the bike off at a shop just for that. Actually, I own a used 03 1600 Classic and so far has never been to the shop for repair just once at Bike Week at tire shop for tires. Back to the oil, I do all my cars (4) and the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I don't have the time, I don't have the tools. I don't have the desire, and I'm to lazy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Me too

I change my own. It's cheaper than taking it to a shop and I can do it when I want to, not when the shop has time.
+1 "I change my own for various reasons
1) I'm a cheap bastard
3) I'm just over an hour from the closest shop that'll touch a metric scoot"

·
Registered
696 Posts
I generally change my own oil on my 900 LT, simply because the hourly rate at my local dealer is absurd for an oil change. When I can get the oil changed on my v8 car engine for $20 to $25, which includes the oil, it's rather absurd to pay a dealer $80 just for shop time on the bike. (as a side note, my dealer recently had a big sign claiming winter price reductions on work, obviously wanting business, but when I inquired about a cheap oil change, they wouldn't cut a dime off of their shop charges....)

Additionally, I use AMSOIL, which my dealer doesn't carry, so I have to buy and carry it to the dealer to have it changed.

I did have the dealer change the oil the first time, at the 600 mile mark, simply to ensure having no warranty issues over that. But, they overfilled the bike and I had to drain some oil..... That rather defeated the purpose of paying someone to do the work, no?

Since then, I've done my own oil changes. It takes me about an hour to change the oil and filter and get back on the road, without worry about overfill. No biggie, but the bike does run better when the oil level is correct.

The biggest hassle is the stupid oil sight location and the contortions I have to get into in order to see it, while trying to make sure the bike is actually level...... :( I really wish there was a dipstick or an easier method of checking the oil level.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Hey come on, im proud of the one vote, as cold and wet as it was in dallas at six am, you ain't riding, you might as well change your oil .. man was it raining

·
Registered
77 Posts
kp,, well given the choices, just 2? what is this an american election or something?.. seems you set yorself up for a one sided conversation.. anybody who pays to have their oil changed probably needs to pay somebody to respond to these inquiries. seeing its about the same amount of effort and work,, not to metion getting thier hands dirty..

so... how 'bout a 3rd choice just to enlarge the sKope of participants?
anybody NEVER change their oil... run it till it blows up? there may be a few lurkers (not posters) who might fit that bill.

ok, this remark mite probly get some response going.. or not. ponchout
Dang it, too late... I was going to say " :eek: What, you're supposed to change the oil in these things?"

·
Megatron
181 Posts
Lazy

I don't change my own oil for a few reasons. I don't have a good place to do it, just a small shed to store the bikes in. One of my good friends owns a motorcycle speed shop and I like to support him. I am not mechanically inclined and I know when I take my bikes to my friend I'm getting top quality service.
I do install any aftermarket bling I put on them but as far as maintenance I'll leave it to the pro.
DON"T JUDGE ME! :)

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I don't change my own oil for a few reasons. I don't have a good place to do it, just a small shed to store the bikes in. One of my good friends owns a motorcycle speed shop and I like to support him. I am not mechanically inclined and I know when I take my bikes to my friend I'm getting top quality service.
I do install any aftermarket bling I put on them but as far as maintenance I'll leave it to the pro.
DON"T JUDGE ME! :)

Same here, and while Im waiting he gives me what ever he is riding at the time, to go for a spin while he is servicing the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
57, as our token canadian/aussie couzin.. we gotta cut you some leeway.. next time yor w/the kawboys, they'r gonna drop yor oil n filter an give you a refill while you fetch s'mor them labatts:beer:.. now this is proper way to pay for an oil change. ponchout
Tough to say what would leave the bigger headache, the bill, or the hangover.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts