Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I'm in my 90's

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
i started late and upsized in bike size from 200 to 800 to 1500, then lately downsizing in size to a 125 scooter, now my happiness is with my new Trek bicycle mountain bike, not a fan of big heavy bikes anymore, i sort of lost the desire to be a big tough macho looking hell's angel biker with tough sounding pipes, they can have it i'm done, i now like slow peaceful rides on my bicycle communing with nature hearing the birds singing, you guys enjoy your loud pipes i'm done

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm 72 :grin2:

My riding background includes some 10 years on a Honda CB 160 (way back in the day) and 19 years on a Yamaha Riva XC125 scooter. I bought a pair of the scooters to ride with my wife, but she has done less than 400 miles on it and I've given up hope on that front. I've got almost 10,000 miles on the scooter also ridden a few other friends' bikes on a few occasions, including a Triumph 650 and Honda 750.

For some 50 years I've always wanted a full size motorcycle of my own and this summer I decided that "someday" is now or never! I spent a lot of time looking at 8 different manufacturers on line and finally settled on a Vulcan S ABS SE. Part of my thinking was that I don't feel I need a bigger engine and I thought that less weight than bigger models might be best for me.

After spending lots of time reading and learning as much as I could in this forum, I finally plunked down a deposit on a new 2017 Vulcan S ABS SE (imperial red/black). I've got a pretty substantial list of after market stuff that I've gleaned from comments in here, which have been very helpful.

Ride Safe Everyone!

·
Registered
30 Posts
i started late and upsized in bike size from 200 to 800 to 1500, then lately downsizing in size to a 125 scooter, now my happiness is with my new Trek bicycle mountain bike, not a fan of big heavy bikes anymore, i sort of lost the desire to be a big tough macho looking hell's angel biker with tough sounding pipes, they can have it i'm done, i now like slow peaceful rides on my bicycle communing with nature hearing the birds singing, you guys enjoy your loud pipes i'm done
Kind of the opposite here. And for the poll, 47 and just bought my motorcycle this past spring after being off one for 15ish years.

I rode the bicycle around Lake Ontario this summer, the whole time thinking about when I got home and could get out on my newly acquired Nomad.

The bicycle touring days are coming to an end. I can't do the riding in the heat any more and the group I ride with think that anything less than 85 is freezing out. So, it will be back to just daily riding after work as soon as I get the bike back together (this trip was rough on both the bike and myself) and my trips will be done on the motorcycle next year.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I may be in my mid-thirties now but for as long as I can remember I could never stand the age cut-offs in many activities, interests and trends. In those cases I'd often say it's the youth that could do with a more open attitude in this googlified world - the older crowd knows where it's at! Seems to me that motorcycling is one of the best examples of an antithesis of all that. I hope I'm riding when I'm thirty more years down the road like a lot of you guys here. Ride on. -Andrew

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm in my mid 70's and riding since aged 18.
Rode my Honda Pacific Coast for 20+ years and the main reason I bought a cruiser and not another tourer, was leg reach!
Couldn't find a touring bike that I could comfortably reach the ground on.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Currently riding two Kawasakis, a 1997 Vulcan classic 1500 and a 2000 Concours 1000.
Welcome to the forums!

Please fill in your profile to include your bike/location info and that
is easier using a PC vs the app. This will help others answer questions you may ask knowing what year and model bike you have.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Road my 1st street bike at 44, bought my 1st bike at 45, the 05 800 classic. I still have it but added a 2012 Voyager for more comfort riding 2up. I'm 58 now, and have over 200,000 miles between the 2 bikes, bought both as leftovers from the previous year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased my first Motorcycle in July of this year ('19). I'm 34 with three small children and not looking to go 160 MPH or pop wheelies. I wanted something comfortable, reliable and safe(er).. Albeit with all the inherent risk of riding a motorcycle I feel safer and more under control in a cruiser. I really enjoy my '08 VN900 Classic. Just need to get it working right again. I'm having erratic idling, power loss through acceleration, back-firing and Glowing exhaust manifold. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am 68 and been riding motorbikes since 16 years old, including during my stint in the Military Police. Absolutely love my Vulcan classic 1600 .

On all my rides I notice that most of the riders, both men and women, are "mature aged". A bit distressing if motorbike riding dies out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
65 and started riding when I was 14. That first bike was a 1963 Honda CA100, 50ccs of raw, mind numbing, tire smoking power - 4.5hp to be exact. Wore grooves in my home town streets from riding that beast every spare minute of my life once I got my permit. Next bike was a Honda 1964 CL250 in a box with a seized motor. Pounded the pistons out with a big hammer and a piece of pipe. Did a cheap rebuild and rode it for a while but that poor old motor couldn't take it and seized again. Don't remember what happened to the bike but I bought another one, also in a box, but this one was rebuilt and just needing assembling. 250ccs with at top speed now higher than 40mph, and sporting straight pipes, that bike introduced me to many fine members of my local law enforcement community. It's been almost 50 years but I can still remember the judge saying: "Now here's a guy with enough tickets he can wallpaper his bathroom with them." Not long after that, I bought my first, and only, brand new bike, a 1978, Kawasaki KZ650. Wow, did I love that bike and rode the hell out of it, but now with a more mature attitude. Even spent some time as a MSF instructor. Met a cute girl who would ride on the back wearing short shorts and a crop top - hey, we were young and living in California - what more could a guy ask for? A while later we got married, and that's when she told me she really doesn't like to ride. "Whaaat?? False advertising to get a ring on my finger" is something I've accused her of many times over the years, she always smiles when I do! Marriage and two kids had the KZ gathering dust until my youngest got older. Time to start riding again, now with a Kawasaki Concourse. Fun bike, longer rides, it was good to be back. Found the Concourse too tall and top heavy for a puny guy like me - 5' 8" and 150lbs, started having zero-mph crashes if the ball of my foot even got close to some sand - also the forward seating position had my hands going numb in a short time. "Down sized to a 2000 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom. Loved the sound, the looks and the torque - a beautiful bike. That's when that same cute girl I married told me she wanted to start riding with me, she tried but Sportster wasn't comfy enough so I bought an old Goldwing for two up. Now in our early 50s she found loved riding - comfort was the key. Time to combine the two bikes into one, sold the Sportster and Goldwing and bought a 2003 Harley Ultra - otherwise known as a Geezer Glide. Never in any of my youger years would I have imagined myself on a touring bike like that, but put lots of great miles and 10 years on that bike. Now in our 60s we decide when we retire we'll sell the house and tour the US in our motor home trailering the Harley until she realizes, if something happens to me, she's stuck because she can't ride the bike or drive the motor home. I've also reached the age where I'm worrying about getting older and weaker - I'm still 150lbs soaking wet, and an 850lb bike PLUS two riders doesn't help. Add to that the fact the Harley is too heavy for a lift on the back of our rig forces another change . . . in the summer of 2019, I sell the Harley, and buy a 2006 Mean streak with 6500 miles on the clock. The lift is installed, and by next summer we hope to be taking off to explore and find great places to ride. The only down side is I while I absolutely love the lower, lighter, (and faster! uh, ohhh) Mean Streak, once your spouse has ridden on the back of a freeway sofa, nothing else will be the same. She's committed, but our rides will be shorter. I hope the Meanie will serve me for many years to come. Riding is a part of me and I can't imaging ever stopping but I know the time will come. Hope I'm ready by then.

·
Registered
2020 VN900 Classic LT
27 Posts
68.. Started in my teens with a two stroke Suzuki 80cc. Moved up to a BSA 650 Lightning, then to a Kawasaki KZ650.
I'm a retired law enforcement officer. I spent 8 years of my 29 year career riding. (It was during the 80's and 90's). The department changed the bike fleet a few times. They went from 1200 Harleys to KZ1000 police bikes (CHIPS style), then to 750K Hondas, then back to 1200 Harleys.

After a 30 year hiatus, I got the urge to ride again. So, I just picked up a new 2020 Vulcan 900 Classic LT to putt around in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I remember the police in my home town switching from Harley to the KZ1000. My cousin was a city motorcycle officer and he rode the KZ. Didn't know the 750 Honda was a police bike. I've seen more BMWs lately, especially with the State Patrol.

Harleys are heavy, but have a pretty low seat height and seem to have a low center of gravity. To me, the Meanie feels like a little bike compared to my old Ultra, not only because it's 300 lbs lighter, but the seat height is even lower. Before settling on the Meanie, I sat on a Honda Shadow and when I picked up the bike off the kickstand I darned near flipped it over on it's right side in the showroom. I was so used to standing up a 900lb bike, and the 750 Honda felt like it was made out of balsa wood! I was shocked at how easy it was to stand up. Then I tried the Vulcan 900 custom and became torn between the two bikes. Even considered a new Vulcan 650 but was afraid it would be too light to cruise the freeways for any distance two-up. Liked the looks of it though. When later shopping online for used bikes, I saw an ad for a Mean Streak. Really liked the looks of the bike and thought the larger size would be better for two up. Riding it on the local country roads reminds me of my Sportster which I found was a really fun "kicking around" bike that sounded great. The Meanie has the same feel and is better on the freeway. REALLY like the bike. I hoping to keep riding well into my 70s and the Meanie feels like I'll be able to handle it as my legs get weaker. I had the Ultra for 10 years and I'm hoping the Meanie will give me 10 more.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts