Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm a laying in the meadow listening to the birds sing, the water rushing to the ocean, tree hugging type of guy. So for me loud pipes do nothing. I've ridden bikes with loud pipes before and every one has given me a headache in a very short time. I guess I just don't get it when it comes to loud pipes. I love the sound of my stock mufflers when I'm up in speed. That deep low hum of the pipes makes me smile. Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
Do loud pipes save lives? OR...............

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
I agree with retrobagger, don't want to listen to them all ride long. The argument for them is to help prevent accidents by people hearing you as they get near you, but, after most accidents happen the cager often says they did not SEE the motorcyclist, even if they had loud pipes....ride on....
Problem with that argument is: most of the noise is behind the bike not in front where it's thought to be needed

·
Registered
521 Posts
I don't like really loud pipes like I don't like really loud music anymore. I like louder with the right tone.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
Not all 'loud' pipes are the same.

I think many riders try to achieve that satisfying level of rumble that gives the bike that large growling bike sound. A deep base rumble.

However, it's not that easy to achieve. Most take the 'no cost' method by removing baffles or just punching holes.

A friend of mine bought a bike a little over a year ago. He went on one ride with me and stated he loved the sound of my bike. He said his sounded like a weed eater. So he removed the baffles. Now his bike just sounds obnoxious!

I don't think my bike falls in the loud pipes category. For the poll I would say I don't care for loud obnoxious pipes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
When my bike was new, it was just plan too quiet, just heard a buzz out the back. I then did a stage 2 debaffle with the end covers back on (looks stock). It's still quiet enough that I can start it up at 6am and not wake the neighbors, but load enough that it still has a decent (to me) tone.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Not all 'loud' pipes are the same.

I think many riders try to achieve that satisfying level of rumble that gives the bike that large growling bike sound. A deep base rumble.

However, it's not that easy to achieve. Most take the 'no cost' method by removing baffles or just punching holes.

A friend of mine bought a bike a little over a year ago. He went on one ride with me and stated he loved the sound of my bike. He said his sounded like a weed eater. So he removed the baffles. Now his bike just sounds obnoxious!

I don't think my bike falls in the loud pipes category. For the poll I would say I don't care for loud obnoxious pipes.
It is kind of hard to get the Harley Rumble on our 900's due to the short stroke.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Loud pipes may occasionally save a life, while annoying lots of folks. My Sabre had straight pipes on it when I bought it. I added baffles and eventually wrapped them to quiet them down as much as possible without having to buy new pipes. I got a lot fewer complaints from the neighbors after wrapping the baffles and still less with the Voyager (stock pipes undrilled).

I think the right kind of lights save more lives. Headlight modulator, bright white (6000K°) headlight and running lights, running lights that form a large triangle with the headlight, LED brake lights (because they are instant on/off unlike the fade on/fade off of incandescent bulbs*) also modulated.

*A NHTSA study concluded that bright (almost to the point of being obnoxious) brake lights got the attention of distracted drivers better (a big DUH! there) and LEDs (not necessarily extra bright) did also because of the instant on/off characteristic. Bright LEDs were the best.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think the right kind of lights save more lives. Headlight modulator, bright white (6000K°) headlight and running lights, running lights that form a large triangle with the headlight, LED brake lights (because they are instant on/off unlike the fade on/fade off of incandescent bulbs*) also modulated.
Would you say those decorative LED lights are helpful at night? The strips you sometimes see on bottom of cars, etc.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Makes a twin sound great, lets face it they lack in performance so you might as well make some noise. My 800 has cobra pipes, my connie 14 is stock, two totally different rides, love them both.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It is kind of hard to get the Harley Rumble on our 900's due to the short stroke.
Never cared much for the Harley sound I always thought the Triumphs and Nortons sounded better. Love it how the middle weights scream, I have had Harley riders tell me my 800 really roars, yeah she does.:glasses-cool:

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
True...

But who wants a Harley rumble? Personally I prefer my Vulcan rumble. Oddly enough, I have been told by a number of HD riders that my Vulcan sounds better than theirs.

I've owned and ridden a Harley. There were plenty of reasons I got rid of it. I have no desire to make my bike look or sound like a Harley. Harley riders are welcome to imitate my Vulcan.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I do enjoy the sound when I hear it rumble by...at least when it's no so loud as to be obnoxious. But while I do think being a little loud does make others on the road more aware of your presence which should enhance your safety a bit I also need to balance the potential safety plus against the potential hearing damage minus. I already have a bit of tinnitus going so for me it's an easy call and I'll stick with my stock pipes. And if I'm wearing ear lugs to protect my hearing (which I do) what's the point of loud pipes if I can't really listen to them?!?!

1 - 20 of 112 Posts