Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neighbor just left his yard , down the road , 40 klms per hour for about 3mins . and his oil light came on. Brought it home and it was down about a Lt. of oil. It has a rap in the motor now . Drained the oil and nothing in the screen , filter or oil .Put clean oil and filter ,but still has a rap and the light is still on . Could being down that 1 Lt. of oil taken out the POG. Or do yas think the POG just failed.
Thanks Guys !!:eek:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Sorry 1999 , Nomad 1500 . 90.600 klms .
99 nomad is the top culprit for shredding the pog, but it usually goes around 30.000 miles. Thats about 65,000 kms.
DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE!!!!

Remove the right side engine case, you dont need to drain the oil if its on a side stand, oil loss will be quite small.

Look to the right of the clutch basket and partially hidden there is a small yellowed plastic gear wheel.
It may be obvious if teeth are missing. If its not obvious rotate the engine with out starting it and check the teeth all the way round the cog. 1 broken tooth means you have to replace the cog.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pog :-((

Thanks sunnybob, I wasn't sure if he had to remove the clutch basket or not. Neighbor JUST bought, it because he liked mine .Dosn't feel that way right now. And I don't know what to think . Mine has a few more klms on it. :confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Dose anyone know if a replacement gear from Kawasaki is still plastic ? That would be NUTS !!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Thanks sunnybob, I wasn't sure if he had to remove the clutch basket or not. Neighbor JUST bought, it because he liked mine .Dosn't feel that way right now. And I don't know what to think . Mine has a few more klms on it. :confused:
all the 1500 classics models D and E and the nomad model G, were fitted with the plastic gear, up till year 2000. They then fitted a steel gear.
Strangely, the same plastic gear was on the previous vulcan models for many years with almost no failures.

99 nomads have the highest failure rate of the whole group.

The majority of thinkers on the subject believe it was a manufacturing tolerance issue, where a large number of clutch baskets were made to the over sized limit, causing too much friction on the cog. It was a crap shoot, most never had a problem, quite a few did. I knew a 99 nomad that went to 99.000 miles before the cam chain slipped a tooth and pushed a valve into the piston. When the engine was stripped, the POG was like new.

Between 1997 and 2008 I was technical officer for the VRA-UK, small by USA standards, but we had a few hundred members. I knew many G model nomads (maybe 30 or more) but only 2 stripped the cog.
Although Kawasaki USA (and Canada) accepted there was a problem (kawasaki UK did not!), they would not issue a recall, but instead authorised dealer repair on any faulty models, but the cost of the repair was only to cover the gear replacement. If you fried the big ends seized the valves because you had no oil, they would charge for all those parts.

But that only lasted for 10 years after manufacture. so from year 2010, youve been on your own.

Any body with a D, E, or G model 1500, should check the pog.
Chuckster still makes a replacement that does not require the engine to be stripped. Kawasaki will sell you a steel cog which does need the engine in a thousand pieces.

Heres what youre looking for, the clutch is removed here, but see those teeth? if they are worn down or missing, its a gonner.

I recommend first, check that cog. If its NOT stripped, refill the oil and start fault diagnosing the noises.

If it IS stripped or damaged, strip the engine, and check all the valves and bearings BEFORE ordering a new gear. If theres no damage to the major parts, order the gear. If there is damage, assess the cost of the entire repair, as opposed to buying another engine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thank for that sunnybob , I will take the cover off today and like you said ,to the left of the basket. I will let you know what i find . I will print your post and give it to the lucky tec that will be doing the job .

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Thank for that sunnybob , I will take the cover off today and like you said ,to the left of the basket. I will let you know what i find . I will print your post and give it to the lucky tec that will be doing the job .
NO!To the RIGHT of the clutch.
That picture shows the right side of the engine (think of the front wheel being to the right side of the picture). the large shaft is the one the clutch fits to.
The clutch obscures a lot of the pog.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pog:-((

Buddys tec won't let me touch it . He wants to check things him self . That is fine with me . I did pass the info on to him . I also lent him my shop manual to him . Thanks for the help Sunnybob. I will let you know how he makes out .:D

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Buddys tec won't let me touch it . He wants to check things him self . That is fine with me . I did pass the info on to him . I also lent him my shop manual to him . Thanks for the help Sunnybob. I will let you know how he makes out .:D
yup, fine as long as he checks that pog BEFORE running the engine.
Just got a pic of the pog with the clutch sti;; attached, you can see the teeth, but you have to rotate the engine to check all of them are good, and the pog is actually turning

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Let us know what it was. Curious....... My 1500 classic has 18000 mi, haven't checked to see if it still has pog.....
if your classic is a D or E model before year 2000, you should NOT be waiting.
If the pog strips out, your engine life is measured in minutes at best, seconds at high speed.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Sunny bob :
Unfortunately I had surgery on foot yesterday. Will check when I get better
hey, that job can be done laying down. (lol)

the pog, if it fails, will fail between 20 and 40,000 miles. Most fail around 30.000 miles. I've seen a perfect pog, on a nomad, after 99.000 miles. I've also seen TWO nomads dead at 35,000miles, and thats just my personal experience.
This is why you have to check, Theres no way of second guessing good or bad.
Nomads have the greatest failure rate by far, but many classics also fail.
When you do check, if it is plastic I would recommend changing it regardless, but if the plastic teeth are perfectly sharp, with absolutely no signs of wear, you could chance another 5,000 miles before rechecking

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Hi guys , It was the POG. Tec took the basket off and their is 8 or 9 teeth gone. . Tec said he is going to look it over real good , hone the cylenders and put new rings also. He said things are looking good , good thing he was only doing 30 klms per hour when the light came on. The bill is looking to be $ 1500. canadian , give or take . $ 400. for a Kawasaki gasket set , $60. for the oil pump gear and a day and a half labor , plus rings .Think i will be taking mine in when buddys is done. I can't wait for the light to come on . Geter done !! I will up date when I hear more .

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi guys , It was the POG. Tec took the basket off and their is 8 or 9 teeth gone. . Tec said he is going to look it over real good , hone the cylenders and put new rings also. He said things are looking good , good thing he was only doing 30 klms per hour when the light came on. The bill is looking to be $ 1500. canadian , give or take . $ 400. for a Kawasaki gasket set , $60. for the oil pump gear and a day and a half labor , plus rings .Think i will be taking mine in when buddys is done. I can't wait for the light to come on . Geter done !! I will up date when I hear more .
good and bad news. bad that it is the pog. good that the engine has received little or no damage. make sure he checks the cam shafts and valve seats carefully, the hydraulic lifters fail first with no oil, so the cams and valves may have some damage.

have you shopped around for the parts? Tried Ron Ayers, or Bike bandit?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Thanks sunnybob , this guy has been doing this for 35 years , but I will be sure to pass it on to him directly . Every bit of info helps , and YOU have been a BIG help . Thanks again !!:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Sunnybob , tec asked me to ask you , if anything could have happened to the oil pump it's self , that could have ruined the pog . He just thought you may have come across it . Thanks:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts