Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you change your plugs, what plugs do you use and do you use anti-seige? Domo!!!:D

·
Registered
719 Posts
I usually pull and clean plugs once a year - primarily due to dissimilar metals not due to any problems. It's no fun fixing cylinder heads. Nothing on the threads. A-S only really works for a short time due to the high temp. I prefer to have a good ground. I don't even know what type the bike takes but I use NGK's in all my small engines.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I use anti sieze on EVERYTHING as it makes disassembly if needed easier.

I think the OEM is NGK plugs, not sure if they're standard NGK or something higher tech... I use NGK on anything Japanese or 2-cycle.

I use AC Rapidfire in the cages I replaced plugs in, and I like them a lot. (a saturn with the old Saturn 1.9 DOHC and a GrandAm with the pushrod 3400v6)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I haven't checked my plugs yet but I probably will this winter, I'll probably have around 7500 miles. I won't replace them (kawasaki recommends replacing @7500 mi) unless the electrodes are worn or there is excessive buildup.
I usually use NGK plugs if I'm replacing them. I think that it's good idea to use anti-sieze. I have typically used a brush on copper or nickel base anti-sieze, either one of these is rated at over 1500 deg F. At work I have been using a moly spray (for different application) thats designed as a anti-sieze and is also used as a mold release and is good to over 2000 deg F. I'm going to try this, it doesn't buildup like the brush on anti sieze, it a very thin layer and is a great lubricant.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well I wouldn't say it's a "pain" to pull them, but I could think of many other things I'd rather be doing instead. :) Yea, if I go to the trouble of pulling them, I'm gonna spend the $14 and put new ones back in.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Mark, I use an anti seize compound every time a plug comes out, but just a bit and I keep it a couple of threads away from the tip. Every oil change my plugs are inspected and gapped and the air cleaner is blown out and replaced if it seems too grungy. I am also in the habit of removing that small rubber drain plug on the lower back side of the filter housing to drain accumulated oil. Once after an oil change enough excess oil sprayed onto my new filter and choked it pretty good, so now I change my filters after running the engine for a few minutes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree if you got the old ones out at 7500 just replace what was it i paid 11 or 12 bucks for.
Not a big expense

·
Registered
941 Posts
Anyone have thoughts on replacing them with Iridium plugs?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw some postings that stated the Iridium plugs may be too hot for the 900 and could cause problems...could be just a rumor though. I think I'll stay with stock. NGK's are pretty decent plugs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts