Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I bought my Voyager back in 2010 and soon after put on Cobra Tri oval aftermarket exhaust. To keep it from popping or back firing I installed a plug in the hole on the right side top left corner that is under the right hand engine cover. I have now just got back my ECU from Ivan and was wondering if I keep the plug in or take it out or does it matter either way. Thanks in advance for your answers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also have that line plugged on my vaquero. while I dont have my ecu ivanized YET, Im pretty shure ivan turns off that system off when he reprograms the ecu.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine is not plugged and I haven't heard a single pop since I got my ECU back from Ivan.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is not plugged and I haven't heard a single pop since I got my ECU back from Ivan.
Thanks T Gibbs for your reply. The popping was so bad I put the plug back in and that quieted it back down. I have looked for an exhaust leak but found none. Maybe going about it the wrong way. Also do not feel much of a difference before Ivan and after Ivans update. I did get the 98 error code thought so I know he updated it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So yours is popping after Ivanizing it? I assume you told him what exhaust you have on it. You must have an exhaust leak. Mine used to pop like crazy from my house to the stop sign because it’s downhill so I’m not on the throttle. Since the flash it hasn’t popped at all. You may want to replace the crush washers where the pipes come out of the jugs, and seals where the slip ons attach. One of those is more than likely where your leak is

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello. just want to put this out for general info. A while back I asked for help about having popping noise out the exhaust when decelerating. This was happening after I got the Ivan update. After looking for any exhaust or intake leaks as many of you had suggested I gave Ivan a call and let him know what was happening. I told him I had to put the plug back in to make stop popping. As soon as I said that he knew what the problem was. Downstream of the hole I put the plug in is a Air Switching Valve and it had got bad. I ordered the valve and changed it out and now no popping noise. Everything works great. If you have a maintenance manual it is in section 5-13. part number 16126-1437. I have a 2010 Voyager. Just putting this out here in case some one else has the same problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi - I recently bought an 09 1700 Nomad with Cobra TriOvals. It backfires and pops on deceleration - too much. You said, "I also have that line plugged on my Vaquero." Did you do that to stop backfires and pops? Was it successful? Can you tell me what you did (steps) mechanically to reach the plug hole? If possible, could you post a pic of the hole you plugged or direct me to an online pic that shows the plug hole location? What you used to plug the hole? Thanks for any info you can offer on this subject.

·
Registered
67 Posts
plug

If your refering to my post#2 then yes I put a kids glass marble in the air induction system or AIS as others call it. the idea is to block the hose for the AIS system located behind the right side air intake cover. If you lift the back end of the gas tank up you will see the hose at the top of the cover. remove the hose at the back of the cover with a pair of needle nose pliers and put the marble in the hose and reinstall it on the cover. you may have to put a bit of oil on the marble to get it in as it is a tight fit. THATS the mod. after doing that 95% of the back firing was gone. you will still hear a little bit of burbbling now and then but not near as loud and sharp as before. since doing that I have since then had my ECU IVANISED. this is by far the BEST thing you could ever do for your bike.
ivansperformanceproducts.com check out the web site.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi rozie - Thanks for the reply. I've attached a pic of the right side air induction area. You'll see an arrow and circle pointing to a black hose, which has an OD of about 3/8". Is that the hose that needs marbled for reducing backfires/pops on deceleration. Thanks for confirmation or correction.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
NO. the hose you show with the arrow is NOT the one I'm referring to. in your pic there is a hose that has a orange plug already installed.THAT is the AIS intake hose and it appears to be plugged now. if your still having backfiring then check all of the exhaust connection clamps and the acorn nuts at the jugs where the header pipes are bolted.you could also remove that orange plug and do the mod as I described then reconnect that hose to the back of the intake cover.I hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks rozie - For convenience sake - the pic that I posted and which you reviewed, was from a 1700 pic I found on the web. I "assumed" that the web pic posted represented a stock, unchanged area behind the right side air induction cover. As you pointed out, it does not. When I get some time to lift my tank etc, I'll take a pic of my bike's "actual" right side air induction 'plumbing' and if I have any doubts about which hose needs to be marbled, let me check with you. Thanks again. Have a great week!

·
Registered
669 Posts
When you take the right side cover off, there's a hole at about 11 o'clock. That's the one that needs plugging. Remove the screws that hold the backing plate, take the 11 o'clock hose off the back of it, plug that hose with a marble, and then re-connect it to the backing plate. There's not much room to work with, but that's the easiest way to sort it out.

While you're in there, it's the ideal time to make sure the intake seal is a good one. It often isn't. There used to be an aftermarket Thunder Manufacturing gasket available... It no longer is, and was stupid expensive shipping for a wee bit of paper anyway. Just use some Threebond 1211 liquid silicone gasket in a figure 8 around the throttle body before you put the plastic backing plate back on. Tidy up any excess that squeezes in when you tighten the bolts, and give the throttle body a good clean up afterwards.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When you take the right side cover off, there's a hole at about 11 o'clock. That's the one that needs plugging. Remove the screws that hold the backing plate, take the 11 o'clock hose off the back of it, plug that hose with a marble, and then re-connect it to the backing plate. There's not much room to work with, but that's the easiest way to sort it out.

While you're in there, it's the ideal time to make sure the intake seal is a good one. It often isn't. There used to be an aftermarket Thunder Manufacturing gasket available... It no longer is, and was stupid expensive shipping for a wee bit of paper anyway. Just use some Threebond 1211 liquid silicone gasket in a figure 8 around the throttle body before you put the plastic backing plate back on. Tidy up any excess that squeezes in when you tighten the bolts, and give the throttle body a good clean up afterwards.
Thanks Peg!

·
Registered
19 Posts
rozie - Again, I got a pic from the Internet for convenience. The hose to be marbled is marked "B" on the attached pic. Is that correct? Interestingly, on my bike that hose was disconnected and NOT plugged. I'll work on getting the hose plugged today. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again to you and Peg.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
plug

YES... thats the one. put the marble in and reconnect it to the back of the air box. because that hose was off means that unfiltered air was going in to the engine from the back of the air box. while you have every thing apart maybe do as peg suggested and clean the throttle bodys and add some sea foam to the gas tank. go for a ride and let me know how that works.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A little background: depending on a given day and before plugging the AIS intake hose, the backfiring could vary from tolerable and infrequent to intolerable and frequent. I have no idea as to why the variance from day to day. Barometer? Air-temp? I don't know. Anyway, the bike is now plugged and all muffler seals/gaskets were checked/tightened. Today, the temp is 85 with low humidity. I took a test ride with varying speeds and with a lot of up/down shifting (frequently decelerating the bike). Generally speaking, there is now a reduction in backfiring; it's infrequent but not entirely gone. I understand that Ivanizing might further help but I understand it costs around $400, which is expensive for me. Thanks for all the help and support!

Technical question. I'm going to show my ignorance here. It's not clear to me as to the direction of the air flow being plugged. I think it only makes sense that the plug stops air from flowing into the AIS hose. The reason I think this is because there is "always" air coming into the the throttle body air intake from the air filter. Therefore, it only makes sense that the plug is preventing air from exiting the throttle body via the AIS hose. Am I right? Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Technical question. I'm going to show my ignorance here. It's not clear to me as to the direction of the air flow being plugged. I think it only makes sense that the plug stops air from flowing into the AIS hose. The reason I think this is because there is "always" air coming into the the throttle body air intake from the air filter. Therefore, it only makes sense that the plug is preventing air from exiting the throttle body via the AIS hose. Am I right? Thanks for your reply.
Correct, it's part of Kaw's "clean air system", consisting of a vacuum hose drawing air from the throttle body through an air switching valve to reed valves atop each cylinder. It does little but create exhaust popping, and is entirely unnecessary. Ivan's ECU reflash renders it inoperable, but I've left the marble in the hose of mine anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts