Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was riding home today on my 03 vulcan classic and it started cutting out. Everytime I would lose power the oil light would come on and the gauge would go a little funky and the display would turn off like the bike was off. Finally got it home and let it idle and it seemed ok. I wiggled one of the spark plug wires and it died. Consistently it would die when I manipulated that wire. I'm thinking its probably time for a tune up as idk if it has ever gotten one. I just got the bike a couple weeks ago.
Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Check the spark plug wire at the spark plug connector. If if is bad, you can cut a little bit off and then rethread the wire into the connector. Also make sure the spark plug connector is fully down on the spark plug.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rode it today after realizing the boot wasn't ALL the way connected to the plug and it ran fine but eventually started doing it again. But everything checks out. Battery is like 12.6v sitting and 13.2 running. I haven't checked the wires yet but will shortly. I also realized that it calls for 90+ octane but first time I filled up I put 87 in it but I don't think that would do anything this drastic. But after it did it today I realized i was in stop and go traffic. Rode it all highway for about an hour and it did fine so I'm not sure. I'm thinking electrical bc when it does this the gauges act like I'm shutting the bike off but im at a loss at the moment

·
Registered
83 Posts
That just seems weird to me that it would do that down a plug. I'm no expert, but I would think something else is contributing. Let us know please and thanks. Good luck my friend.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Would check the spark plugs. Since it was running crappy, the plug might need replacement. You mentioned it was time for that tune up anyway. 😀

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That just seems weird to me that it would do that down a plug. I'm no expert, but I would think something else is contributing. Let us know please and thanks. Good luck my friend.
Yeah I've been looking at it and I'm thinking now that the plug wire was a coincidence and there's a wire partially broken in the harness somewhere. Thinking about either trying to track it down or just getting a wiring harness for it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts