Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys
I am getting the cobra swept exhaust in black and the barons big air kit for my 2009 vulcan 900 custom I just need to know exactlly what power commander or fuel management to get for my bike. Please respond

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've got a bully BUT the new power commander (mk5?s) have pc support if you can hook a laptop so you can get real time or delayed readings. I believe you can use it to set your idle RPM as well, ie hook it up, check your idle and twist the knob. Also they advertise self programming modes. Though without O2 sensors I dont' know how that works. You can get pre loaded maps for your setup. There is a place to get them from Jim's powersports or something like that. If you have money for it, you can take it to a shop and have it dyno'd and set precisely in increments. The rest of the controllers including mine, trigger on load and rpm. You set cruise, mild accel and hard accel. Mine (Bully) you can set the trigger points for the transition as well.

Unless you find one of the bay for cheap, they all set you back a pretty penny. BUT you'll need it with exhaust and intake and to get the most out of your bike.

If you're not into the last critical bit, I'd go with the Bully over Cobra. You can hide it OR mount it where it's visible and change it while your riding. (pull over and hit the buttons). That beats stopping, pulling the seat off and twiddling the dials. Plus the lights on it give you real time feedback of how much load you're putting on the injectors and what mode they are in. I saved mpg by simply changing the mild accel trigger point. On several of the small but long hills on my way to work I was going into mild accel mode without noticing it. I bumped the trigger up a notch and now it just cruises up the hill under the same load.

I also found that although I had gutted my exhaust I hadn't removed the front of the muffler can and I just wasn't flowing any more exhaust, so I changed my cruise and mild accel to factory loads although hard accel I give a little more, it seemed to give it a bit more punch.

I seeded the yard today, 4-5 hours of work really, shouldn't be so bad but I'm rambling so, maybe a light supper and bed. Hope I've helped.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm running an Arlen Ness Big Sucker and Cobra Speedster Shorts with the Cobra FI2000R. I guess the 2000R does the job but I would not recommend it if you can afford better. I bought it because I needed something affordable but the set-up method is far from scientific. Basically it's keep tweaking it until it seems like you've passed the sweet spot and then back it down a setting. I'd hoped for more. Anyway, I have been unsuccessful in getting rid of the popping on decel including replacing the gaskets.

·
Registered
976 Posts
There will always be some popping in the pipes. But if it's excessive, then some more tweaking is involved. You did marble the reeds yes?

I'd take the Bully over the Cobra. If I was interested in the up most performance, Id go with the power commander V.

But I'm happy with what I've got. Someday, I'll have a 2000. Gman says the 900 unit fits on the 2000 so all I gotta do is get a quick flash on the setup. I think I have to send it in for that, but I suppose I can get used to the power of the stock V2K while I wait on the turnaround.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts