Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

please help

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  1barron 
#1 ·
is there a way to grease the drive shaft on a 2004 750

#3 ·
Here is a link to fergy`s write-up with pictures for the rear spline lube.
http://pages.tstar.net/~fergy/writeups/final_drive1.html

There are also a couple of pictures of lubing the u-joint and splines on the front of the drive shaft. fergy shows the coupling to the rear splines being filled with 3 tablespoons of grease. The Clymer manual says to coat the splines with a light coat of high Moly grease. I believe using a small toothbrush to apply a good even coat of Honda Moly 60 grease to the splines is more than adequate. The coupling does not need to be filled, as the movement of the driveshaft will try to pump it out past the O-ring seals at either end.

Don`t delay the spline lube as it has been reported that many VN750`s, especially from the years 2000-2006, seem to have left the factory with little or no lube on the rear splines. Many new riders have performed this service and report it is not nearly so difficult or involved as it first appears. Good luck.

#4 ·
As a non 750 owner I was forced into removing a rear wheel for one of our chapter members 750. It really is easy, takes less than 15 minutes!
You need a 2x6 piece of wood about 14" long minimum.. A 14mm box end, a 13 and a 12mm box/open end. In addition to this you will need a 27mm socket and breaker bar, and a 10mm socket/ratchet.
Ready? Remember, I'm not versed in the 750, I've only done it once, and that was after riding 105 miles, double, in heavy rush hour Cincinnati traffic to fix the problem.
1)Place the 2x6 under the center stand and lower the stand. It will be a bit tougher to get it up on the stand this way but it makes rolling the tire out super easy.
2) Loosen the right hand side exhaust hanger/foot peg via the 10mm head bolts. No need to take them out, just lossen about 3 turns. Now remove the shock lower nuts, loosen the upper nuts almost to the point of coming off, and slide the shock off the lower studs. The swingarm will now drop way down, past the muffler
3) remove the brake rod nut and the torque arm nut(beneath the brake rod)
4) Using the 27mm socket loosen the large axle nut on the left side, reach around the wheel and rotate the brake backing plate so the brake rod will come out.
5) remove the axle nut, slide axle out the right side and wiggle tire free from the drive splines.
6) the 4 nuts that hold the final drive to the left swingarm can now be removed, and the final drive will fall off in your hands. Inspect the splines for wear, if all is good then poke about 3 spoons full of grease into the socket and rub some on the male splines, and reassemble.
Put it all back in reverse order of removal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.