Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me to decide on buying a 2012 Voyager.
I like the fairing, wind protection, storage space, power, etc.
But, I am concerned on the weight, stability on windy days, performance, etc.
Are these bikes reliable? do they have enough passing power? any problems with the rear luggage box when riding on the highway and the wind is strong?
would you buy a Voyager again?
If I buy this bike, I will keep it for at least 5 years or longer.
I found a 2012 Voyager with 5,000 miles, nice condition, garage kept, for $10,500.00 out the door. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like mine .. 2013 Voyager .. They are heavy but not unmanageable. I changed the kickstand to a longer one ( off ebay from a 2000
vulcan classic $14 shipped ) that made a HUGE difference in moving it to upright after getting on. Power .. yes tons of it, especially after Ivan's Flash. I do notice the wind more than I did on my 1500 classic but still not a problem. I would absolutely buy another one.
The price you have is good. I paid $10500 for mine this spring with 10,000 miles on it from a Harley Dealer. GO FOR IT !!!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dont know much about 12s, just bought a new 16 for $12,999. Liked getting a 3 year warranty. Been out in some nasty winds already 75mph on freeway. Glad i had the weight. Seems really well balanced. Love bike, wished it had newer radio but not a dealbreaker.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies!
gmer140 I think you got a great deal on your 16. What dealer was that?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Off Road Outlet Bad Axe Michigan. It was a new bike but 2016 model. Doesnt look any different than 17 except for diff color. From what ive read not change since kawi improved heat issue with addef rear fan in 2013? $1500 rebate on 16 model at that time.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I think I'd look at 2016 models that are still on the lot if I were you. A guy on this site sold a 2013 recently with low miles for $9,500 or less. It had a lot of upgrades. As far as the bike, it is definitely reliable and stable. Due to the frame mounted fairing, wind does not push this bike around at all. No problems at all with the trunk or saddle bags. The only issues I can tell you of are: Heavy bike-can be hard to handle in parking lots. Right side of bike can be a little warm on your leg in the summer. A lot of folks have got the Ivan Flash which helps with several things including temperature. I have a 2013 Voyager and would buy it again in a second.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Glenn just reminded me on weight. Dealer told me b carefull at stop turning slow coming from 900. My brother wanted 2 ride it the other day. Told him its lots heavier than his 1300 yamaha. Just about broke his ankle when it fell on him takimg off. Luckily he wasnt hurt and bike landed on front and rear crash bars.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Yep, you can't let the bike tilt past the center of gravity. I have let mine hit the ground twice. Once backing out of garage onto slanted driveway. I let it get too far over and down it went. Second time was in a gravel parking lot and I hit the front brake, and again down it went.

Glenn just reminded me on weight. Dealer told me b carefull at stop turning slow coming from 900. My brother wanted 2 ride it the other day. Told him its lots heavier than his 1300 yamaha. Just about broke his ankle when it fell on him takimg off. Luckily he wasnt hurt and bike landed on front and rear crash bars.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Are these bikes reliable? do they have enough passing power? any problems with the rear luggage box when riding on the highway and the wind is strong?
I found a 2012 Voyager with 5,000 miles, nice condition, garage kept, for $10,500.00 out the door. Thanks for any help.
The Voyager is by far the best Value in a big cruiser, used or new. I see in your signature you have a custom. If you are not planning to keep it I recommend trading it in if you are dealing with a dealer. They are great mid-sized bikes that it is hard to get fair value out of in the used market.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Off Road Outlet Bad Axe Michigan. It was a new bike but 2016 model. Doesnt look any different than 17 except for diff color. From what ive read not change since kawi improved heat issue with addef rear fan in 2013? $1500 rebate on 16 model at that time.
Small world - I'm in Ubly - In Bad Axe all the time. What color is your bike?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Dude, go for it! Either new or used, but for a couple of grand, I'd get a leftover 16. I bought my Vaquero last August for $15k out the door, and it was still 2016. If you can get a Voyager for $13k OTD, that's a heck of a steal!

I came from a VN800, so similar to the 900, but yeah, you'll feel the weight for a few days, and then you'll have gotten used to it, no biggie. Like the others said, don't let it get too far off center, and you'll be fine. I've got 6k trouble-free miles on mine so far, and love every minute of it. Plenty of power, good creature comforts, and $10k less than a Harley.

Heck, I can't even flat-foot mine ... tippy toes or one foot, depending on road surface. Don't care, once I'm moving, the weight melts away and it corners nicely.

-John

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Try riding across the Macknaw bridge with a 30-35 mph crosswind and open grate road surface.:surprise: I've done it twice, once on a Triumph Thunderbird 1600 and once on the Voyager. The Voyager was much more stable.:kiss2:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I went from a 900 Classic LT up to a '12 Voyager a year ago this week. I miss the light weight and maneuverability of the 900 but the comfort, power, and stability more than make up for it. My wife is much more secure riding with me on the Voyager. She says that on the 900 she could feel the bike move with every move I made, as in adjusting my seating position, scratching my a$$, etc. On the Voyager she doesn't feel any movement. The frame mounted fairing and windshield makes it much more stable than the fork mounted windshield on the 900. I also don't mind riding on the interstate with the Voyager. I hated riding it on the 900. I paid $10,500 for mine and it had just over 10k miles on it, so that's a good price, but if you can get a new '16 for just a thousand or 2 more, I'd go for the new one.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Alwhite00 mine is black and silver. Wanted all black like my 09 900 classic, looked like past model was. New 17 is sharp also. Black and a titanium grey. No rebate on 17 when i got mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought my 2012 Voyager in March of 2015 with 7,000 miles - paid $8500.00. I got a steal as far as I'm concerned. These bikes are fantastic values! A friend I ride with bought a 2012 HD Ultra with 12,000 miles a few months after me and paid $16,500.00.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I bought my 2012 Voyager in March of 2015 with 7,000 miles - paid $8500.00. I got a steal as far as I'm concerned. These bikes are fantastic values! A friend I ride with bought a 2012 HD Ultra with 12,000 miles a few months after me and paid $16,500.00.
Yeah, a month after I got my Vaquero, a buddy of mine bought a used Street Glide (I think it was an 07 or 09) for the same $13k.

-John

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Bro, I live about 2hrs riding time from you. Spring Hill. Anyways, I can't speak about the Voyager but I have the same year and family of bikes: 2012 1700 Nomad. I got mine last Sept. from a Dealer in Orlando for $7600 with 4750 on the odometer. Spotless, show room condition. Seems the price you quoted is a bit high. As others have mentioned here, there are new '16's on the lot you could probably get for maybe twenty bucks more a month. Got a couple of things for you to consider:

I sunk about $2000 immediately after buying the bike. Right off the bat you're most likely gonna need a Big Air Kit because from the factory the bike doesn't get enough air, runs hot. You'll probably want to install a Power Commander too. Stock bike has decel pop that becomes way more noticeable with custom exhaust, Power Commander and a good map gets rid of 95% of it. If you get custom exhaust, when you're installing them, use a good sealer to eliminate fresh air causing more pop. I installed Vance and Hines slip-on's because they make me smile. All the aforementioned will greatly increase your ride experience. I'm 6'4" so I HAD to get a Corbin seat to sit me deeper and lower and also installed 4" risers (any taller would necessitate cable change-out).

After all that I absolutely love the bike. If and when I wear this one out, I'll get a Voyager since Nomads are discontinued. Almost 10,000 miles on it now and never once had any issues at all. Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I traded in my Yamaha 2004 Custom 1100 in January for a new 2016 Voyager. Probably 300 lb weight difference but I found it an easy transition really. Stable well price rig for all the standard goodies....air shocks, cruise, ABS, lots of storage. 3 year warranty is nice and I added 3 more years to it.

I did replace the stock 18 inch screen with a 16 inch Slipstreamer. Also put on short risers and a back rest. I also got the Kawasaki Gel Touring Seat as the dealer gave me 30% off any accessories I bought. After 1900 miles I had the Ivan reflash...wow! Different performing bike. I just turned 3000 trouble free miles on it today. I am very satisfied with this rig. I was looking on Cycle Trader yesterday and there are some new 2016 models around the country. One way ticket to pick one up would be a great road trip!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts