Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, below are pics of seat combo's I drafted up on Corbin's website. Then a couple pics of my bike at the end. Please vote for your favorite seating combination, or the one you like the best with whatever mod you would make if it was yours. They are all kind of similar but all different. Thanks for the help in advance. Personally I am currently digging #5 but I am going to let it sink in and take much input from others.

#1, Bomber Seat, black vinyl sides, white welts

#2, Bomber Seat, black vinyl sides, black braided leather welts (poor representation of the braid)

#3 Bomber Seat, Asphalt Sides, Black vinyl stud strip, no welts

#4 Alligator Seat, vinyl sides, white welts

#5 Alligator Seat, Asphalt Sides, Black vinyl stud strip, white welts

#6 Alligator Seat, Asphalt Sides, Black vinyl stud strip, no welts

Pics of bike. Keep in mind I have studded the backrest now as in the last picture. Also the mustang has been returned which is the reason for this post.

·
Registered
67 Posts
#1 or #5 I think would look pretty sharp on your bike. At first I dismissed the white stripes until I saw your ride and completely changed my mind. I think they would compliment the tank really well

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
#3 for me, simple and clean looking, not over the top. Think I would actually have to see how the white stripe would actually look on the bike. Hard to say otherwise.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm not much on photoshop but here is a failed attempt:

VS

·
Registered
95 Posts
What was the problem with the mustang seat?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What was the problem with the mustang seat?
So far I have tried the mustang, the ultimate, and now will be ordering a Corbin. I don't really want to get into an in depth review because I plan on posting about all 3 once I get the corbin, but I will say that my particular Mustang seat had some sort of manufacturing defect that caused the seat to be taller on one side vs the other. I had to put furniture buttons on the bottom of the frame stops on the right side in order to level it out. Since those are not adjustable, and for a few other reasons, I sent it back.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
#5 is what I'd go for from those choices. The white piping really adds a nice touch. Perhaps some red/maroon stitching around that white piping and then you'd really have a matched look. (And I know you know that I know what I am talking about). :D

I can photoshop it for you if you want a better preview. Heck, I can even try to put in some red stitching if you want. If you could post a pic of your bike in the same orientation at the seat then that would make the photoshopping more realistic (read: easier for me).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
#5 is what I'd go for from those choices. The white piping really adds a nice touch. Perhaps some red/maroon stitching around that white piping and then you'd really have a matched look. (And I know you know that I know what I am talking about). :D

I can photoshop it for you if you want a better preview. Heck, I can even try to put in some red stitching if you want. If you could post a pic of your bike in the same orientation at the seat then that would make the photoshopping more realistic (read: easier for me).
I may take you up on that, but let me show the wife first. She may have strong opinions and I don't want you to have to do the work if she is totally off put by the white for some reason. Plus, I can do better if I try, just need to get off my lazy seat and start clicking buttons.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Dark Archer

The Corbin seats are made to order and cannot be returned. If it turns out you don't like it it will be easier to sell if it is all black. I think any of your seating surface choices are fine, but the white piping makes it very much a custom seat.

The Corbin uses a very hard foam that takes a little while to mold to your bottom, so don't freak out the first time you ride an think this thing is harder that a church pew. It get better with the more miles you ride.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Been playing some more tonight and have another contender, slightly more crazy than the rest. Wish someone in Cincinnati had a Corbin I could sit on first! I'm kinda out of options so I will have to learn to love my church pew Wild Bill

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
@darkarcher
I have Corbin seat. I did not buy it on line, went to the factory to have it tailor made. Yes, it is hard foam, but that is the good thing about it. It does not collapse. It is not the foam that makes things comfortable, it is the shape. The more contact points spread out over wider area the better. Instead of sitting on a pogo stick (stock seat) you will be seating in a body hugging throne.

However
If you are buying online, it will take sometime to manufacture and ship. It will also take some time to brake it in. 1500 miles they say. At fist it will feel uncomfortable. My custom seat will feel very uncomfortable to you unless your size, shape and sitting position is exactly the same as mine. Seating on someone else's Corbin to try it out will not work. This is not how it works. You will have to brake yours in to your very own body shape. It will be a huge improvement over stock seat, but the true comfort will come after you brake it in.

I absolutely love my Corbin. 8 hours in a saddle is nothing to complain about. No butt fatigue at all. Nada. I will not even look at any other seats. No need.

The white trim looks very good when it is new. However after a while that white will become brown. Not so good. For practicality I would not use white stitching or trim. Also as you know they have different types of leather and vinyl. Leather on top, vinyl on the site would probably be best combo.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Dark archer

Like Don said it will take 1500 miles or so to break in the seat. When you first get it you will think this thing is really hard. However even though it is hard it is still way more comfortable than the stock seat from day one. Just gets a little better with every ride.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Sound advice guys, lots of things to consider. I think the white stitching, although cool, would get dirty and brown very quickly. I really like the look of that white piping or "welts" but as it ages being that it's vinyl, that could cause issues. I still cant decide, but after looking up how well some marine grade vinyl's age, I may still consider it.

Also, the wife has weighed in and says she doesn't like the alligator or any animal looking materials. She is indifferent about the welt color and likes both the white and the braided leather. So it looks like its going to be bomber seat, asphalt vinyl sides, black vinyl stud strip, chrome studs, black stitching. The only thing left is to figure out if I am going with the braided black welts which will make it easier to resell, or white vinyl welts. .... Decisions, Decisions....

·
Registered
643 Posts
Sound advice guys, lots of things to consider. I think the white stitching, although cool, would get dirty and brown very quickly. I really like the look of that white piping or "welts" but as it ages being that it's vinyl, that could cause issues. I still cant decide, but after looking up how well some marine grade vinyl's age, I may still consider it.

Also, the wife has weighed in and says she doesn't like the alligator or any animal looking materials. She is indifferent about the welt color and likes both the white and the braided leather. So it looks like its going to be bomber seat, asphalt vinyl sides, black vinyl stud strip, chrome studs, black stitching. The only thing left is to figure out if I am going with the braided black welts which will make it easier to resell, or white vinyl welts. .... Decisions, Decisions....
Mustang makes the decision easy studs or no studs!!!

Like you I played with a ton of different options.

Suggest you call them and talk to them about your final short list. My experience is that they were pretty strait up and told me what their experience was not necessarily what I wanted to hear. If it were me I would call them and ask them about how well the white welts will stand up over time and if they have had any issues with yellowing or cracking etc.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
The only thing left is to figure out if I am going with the braided black welts which will make it easier to resell, or white vinyl welts.
@darkarcher
Corbin seats do not resell very well. Only people that do not know anything about Corbin seats buy them on eBay. They are fantastic when broken in to your body shape. That is the original owner. After they are broken in, hey do not re-brake in. Anyone who bought it used on eBay would complain how uncomfortable they are.

When you get it, seating with your legs down on the floor will not be comfortable. That is because it is not made for sitting at the show room. However once you engage the cogs and start rolling, put your feet on the pegs/floorboards, suddenly you get this "oh hell yeh!" feeling. But you do not get that from a used Corbin, because it is broken in / tailored to someone else.

So if you are buying one, buy one for you, and brake it in for yourself. You will be comfortable in it, everyone else will think you are insane. But you will be able to do 600 miles a day with a huge smile, grinning from ear to ear.

Corbin recommends vinyl on the sides and leather on top. That is for a reason as their tech Luis explained to me when he made mine. The seat lasts a lot longer that way. They guarantee it to the original owner, so they do not want to spend labor for free to fix tears.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
@darkarcher
Corbin seats do not resell very well. Only people that do not know anything about Corbin seats buy them on eBay. They are fantastic when broken in to your body shape. That is the original owner. After they are broken in, hey do not re-brake in. Anyone who bought it used on eBay would complain how uncomfortable they are.

When you get it, seating with your legs down on the floor will not be comfortable. That is because it is not made for sitting at the show room. However once you engage the cogs and start rolling, put your feet on the pegs/floorboards, suddenly you get this "oh hell yeh!" feeling. But you do not get that from a used Corbin, because it is broken in / tailored to someone else.

So if you are buying one, buy one for you, and brake it in for yourself. You will be comfortable in it, everyone else will think you are insane. But you will be able to do 600 miles a day with a huge smile, grinning from ear to ear.

Corbin recommends vinyl on the sides and leather on top. That is for a reason as their tech Luis explained to me when he made mine. The seat lasts a lot longer that way. They guarantee it to the original owner, so they do not want to spend labor for free to fix tears.
No offense, but anything that needs to be broke in to be comfortable is not for me. My Ultimate was comfy right out the gate. No matter what position I was in. We were riding home not too long ago after a full day run, many hours in the saddle. And all I could think was how soft the seat still was. JMO, as always.

The way you just described the Corbin is enough for me to never consider one. Just what position should you be in to break it in? I switch back and forth often as we all do. Why would someone want one position to be more comfortable than another?

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
If you have it custom made, no brake in needed. Only if you buy it from them on line. I wanted a different sitting position, so it had to be custom made. price is the same.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well I am ordering online, but I am going to call my order in. Since the wife said she didn't like the alligator, I tried to find a good picture of the bomber jacket black leather. It is much more grey in real life than in the mock ups above in this thread. So it looks like I may just be going with standard leather. Nice simple seat that I know I will be happy with. The compromises we make......

Actual users seat in Bomber Jacket. That is one of the two I have posted above. Doesn't exactly look the same does it....

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Too bad it isn't darker. I do like the stitching. Will you be getting a rain cover for it as well?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts