Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had not ridden in a couple of weeks. Started her up and didn't get the initial high idle. While riding, she bogged down at stop lights and on takeoff. Also seemed to bog down when accelerating to higher speeds. Looking through the forums, I have seen these as possible causes and will try to correct them before taking it in to the shop:
--possible debris in tank (of course, I just filled it up.....ugh)
--dirty air filter?
--low battery charge? New battery 9 months ago
--Idle too low?
Anything else I should look at, without having to do any major removals/work?

I used to work on my own cars back in the 70s and 80s, before they got too hard to work on (for me). Technology has passed me by, and my patience is not what it used to be.

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had not ridden in a couple of weeks. Started her up and didn't get the initial high idle. While riding, she bogged down at stop lights and on takeoff. Also seemed to bog down when accelerating to higher speeds. Looking through the forums, I have seen these as possible causes and will try to correct them before taking it in to the shop:
--possible debris in tank (of course, I just filled it up.....ugh)
--dirty air filter?
--low battery charge? New battery 9 months ago
--Idle too low?
Anything else I should look at, without having to do any major removals/work?

I'm in Central Florida, so cold isn't really an issue.

I used to work on my own cars back in the 70s and 80s, before they got too hard to work on (for me). Technology has passed me by, and my patience is not what it used to be.

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
First thing to check is the air cleaner. Pull it and make sure there aren't insects or rodents taking up residence. Then take a look up the exhaust for the same issue. Also, a new battery isn't the same as a fully charged battery. It doesn't sound like a battery issue, but if it's been sitting idle for a few weeks, it should have been on a tender to maintain the charge. Check the battery connections and the ground strap connection. These are some no dollar checks you should do regularly. Sometimes simple things cause crazy problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out spark plugs were fouled. New ones installed, oil changed, air filter changed, and off we go!
(But not today......it's 32° here in Florida this morning)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
reason for fouled plugs could be oil bypassing piston rings, or could be too rich a fuel/air mixture, or too little air to fuel ratio

1 - 5 of 5 Posts