Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to hear from sfair, I've been diagnosing for 3 weeks and still no luck. The story, I was cruising for the second time this year booking it about 110 mph, it got boggy and shut off, I dropped a gear and fired it up and kept going, I made two different stops and it fired up no problem so as I was nearing home I got on it good again, it was bogging in 4th at high rpms, I grabbed 5 the and powered thru it until I got high rpms and it shut off again, I pulled in the clutch and tried firing it back up but it wouldn't go, I pushed it in the garage and started tearing into it, I replaced the battery imideatly with a new load tested battery from battery plus and verified through their web site that it was the correct battery and nothing, the battery will be at 12.6 volts, when key is on 12.5, then when starter button is pushed it drops roughly 7 volts, replaced the starter relay with a new one even though when testing it everything looked good with the meter, the starter was taken in and checked out good at a professional shop, replaced it anyway due to frustration, ground going to the case checked out good for continuity and resistance, positive going to the starter checks out good as well, fuses are good, tried a 2nd battery out of a friends bike, still no luck, kill switch and start switch seemed good when check for continuity, the bike struggles to turn over and drops massive amounts of volts? Any ideas what to try next? The bike is a 02 Vulcan mean streak 1500cc, thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am new and hope its the correct place to post this, I was really hoping to ride this holiday weekend and can't find anything online and have no clue what to do to get this going

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Ever think it might be fuel related? How old is the fuel filter? Have you tested the fuel pump for pressure?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not fuel related, fuel pump does not make the bike drop 7 volts, it drops like .1 volt with all the running lights and dash junk along with the fuel pump priming at the turn of the key, I'm thinking it may be a "stalled starter gear" from one of the forums I was reading, that would make sense why the starter struggles to turn the bike over and why the bike pulling such a heavy load to even try to start

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Newest update- removed clutch side cover and drained oil, with large lower right gear removed (starter clutch) and smaller top gear touching starter splines(tourque limiter) removed starter spins like it should with no hesitation, so week 3 here, its no longer an electrical issue, the smaller gear on top right (torgue limiter)torques/moves like a 1/4" when everything is bolted together, bearings look good so what would be bad here or what do I look for?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible that the tourque limiter bearing is so sloppy that its causing the starter to bind?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
31,000 miles, owned it for 5 years, no modifications for at least 3 years, thanks for your time and replying! Your like the Vulcan God

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I thought it was an electrical issue, the start struggles, and will briefly try and then do nothing while making the battery drop voltage, after testing it and trying it again I got frustrated and purchased a new one along with a relay, the starter spins like a dream, as a new starter should when the tourque limiter gear is removed from underneath the clutch side cover, put the gear back where it belongs and it seems almost like the motor is tight, but I highly doubt it is but very well could be a possibility at this point

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No recent work besides what's listed above, new load tested battery at 12.6 volts, new relay, new starter, current state of the bike, clutch side cover removed, removed tourque limiter gear and the large gear and counterweight it makes contact with

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the plugs pulled already not sure how to go about turning the motor over, I can not push it in gear because I had to remove a section of the frame in order to remove the last two bolts from the cover, I have jack under it for support and the other side is all connected yet

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Expose the clutch retaining nut and with the plugs out and not in gear, put a socket on the nut and the engine should turn over freely.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can go ccw how ever but its not like its easy to turn that direction and now the clutch handle is really tight

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
You are going to have to take the alternator covers off to expose the rotor nut so that you can turn the crank directly from that side.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts