Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have my first big trip coming up relatively soon to Sturgis SD from Cincinnati OH and I have been thinking that I could probably do with some way to play some fun tunes to help stay alert for some of the long days. I do not want to go all out and place some speakers on any fairings (no fairings yet on the bike). I was thinking along the lines of maybe bluetooth headphones or something. I am wondering what some of you guys have rigged up to listen to the radio or an ipod or some other music player.

For those about to rock help me rockout and I salute you ;)

Background: bike is a 2009 Vulcan Classic

·
Registered
214 Posts
Take a look at the Sena units. I have been using an SM5 for 3 years works great and uses its own headphone in your helmet.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I was thinking along the lines of maybe bluetooth headphones or something. I am wondering what some of you guys have rigged up to listen to the radio or an ipod or some other music player.
blue tooth or just earbuds and yor eyefone.. I have bt hearing aids can sync up 5 devices thru eyefone. technology moves on. don't bugger yor bike w/stereo crap..

·
Registered
101 Posts
I always did earbuds connected to my iphone in the pocket. Got a bluetooth set to put in my helmet last Christmas. Very easy to put the speakers in, and probably better for my hearing than the earbuds. Has a microphone for phone calls or to do intercom with a similar bluetooth device in another helmet. Best of all, I can change the volume or change the songs with just a twist of the dial on the side of the helmet.

The only drawback to the bluetooth is it doesn't have as long of battery life as the phone does (I think its 4 hours), and it takes 4 hours to charge.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always did earbuds connected to my iphone in the pocket.
Me too ...... singing to myself in a full face helmet just did not cut it ...... with a open face helmet, it was not only bad for everybody else, it was also embarrassing.LOL

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I started out with Bluetooth earbuds, then went to a Shark stereo 600 watt system. I have a windshield, but no fairing. At 70 mph, I can't really hear the tunes anyway, so off it comes and back to earbuds for me.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I used headphones for many years. They are good, but the cause pressure in my ears under my helmet. I just upgraded to the Boss Audio 600w kit and couldn't be happier. I have a windshield and I can h ear the system at 85 mph with my helmet on and in the rain. The quality is top notch.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Headphones are a great option if they are comfortable. My ears started hurting after about 2 hours, so shorter rides were not the problem. It's all about comfort, and I am taking a 2 week bike trip on the 20th. I needed something that provided all day tunes and comfort.

·
Registered
37 Posts
scala rider pro, set up, bluetooth link with pandora, or I tunes. Built in radio, just home from a trip to the coast, no problem. you can also use a 3.5 jack into the scala unit, without bluetooth, so if the iphone is on charger should last a long time. you can also add a set of headphone speakers in the helmet with velcro works too.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sounds like a lot of people use ear buds. My only concern with ear buds would be that after a while the pressure of them in your ears start to hurt although I guess I could probably find some really comfy ones if I searched around.

I have seen some guys who embed their ear buds in their ear plugs so that they cut out the noise of the wind and can play music. Has any one done this? Supposedly there is a material you can form to your ear that will then harden later into a soft plastic.

For those of you who went with a blue tooth speak set how hard was it to install in your helmet? Was the preferred method Velcro?

Thanks for all of the responses. You guys are giving me a lot of good ideas.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It sounds like a lot of people use ear buds. My only concern with ear buds would be that after a while the pressure of them in your ears start to hurt although I guess I could probably find some really comfy ones if I searched around.

I have seen some guys who embed their ear buds in their ear plugs so that they cut out the noise of the wind and can play music. Has any one done this? Supposedly there is a material you can form to your ear that will then harden later into a soft plastic.

For those of you who went with a blue tooth speak set how hard was it to install in your helmet? Was the preferred method Velcro?

Thanks for all of the responses. You guys are giving me a lot of good ideas.
No, it wasn't hard at all. The one I have was very easy to install. (Sorry, at the office, or I would tell you what brand/model it is...will check when I get home).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought a set of JBL BT ear buds from Crutchfield. works ok with an open helmet comfort wise, not sure about a closed face style. i have only had them on for about an hour at a time while riding. has some sound deadening capabilities, but sound awesome, really clear. once in a while it looses connection for half a second, but it picks up where it left off.

takes about an hour to charge last about 6 hours, sweat/water resistant. volume control on the wire but with the sound deadening capability, I don't need to turn it up very loud even running down the highway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put a Sena 3S in my full-face helmet a couple of weeks ago. Shipped with the Velcro needed. They have a YouTube video with instructions that was very helpful. Took me about 10 minutes to do the actual installation.

The sound quality isn't as good as going with in-ear (a little light on the bass), but that wasn't a surprise to me and was an acceptable tradeoff. The longest I've had the music going was about two hours, so I can't speak to total battery life. Sound quality on phone calls was surprisingly good—my wife said she didn't hear any wind or motor noise. For a relatively inexpensive option, I'm pleased.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My Sena unit last for 2 full days of riding before it needs charging.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I use audio technical ANC23 active noise cancelling ear buds. Then purchased 33 dB foam ear plugs, cut a 4mm hole in the center of the ear plugs with a biopsy cutter tool ($4 on eBay) cut length of ear plug to a little longer than the rubber ear bud tip and replaced the rubber tip with the ear plug tip. The foam tip provides a better seal and is more comfortable.

The rest of my setup is a Senda SMH10 with earphone/bud jogger control. Phone holder on handle bars along with a power port. I run a dashcam app, play music, run google maps with voice turn by turn and have access the the phone all at the same time. The Sena is good for a long time between charging, headphones last about 25 hours of use on a single AAA battery and the phone is Ok because it is plugged into a power port. The phone screen is not bright enough to see in the sunlight so I just have it facing strait ahead and use a dashcam app to record those crazy drivers ahead:)

I Originally used the Sena in helmet speakers with ear plugs which worked fine, but the sound quality with the noise cancelling ear ear phones is much better.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
Easy and cheap? Use Plantronics BackBeat Fit BT earbuds and slip on your helmet. Comfortable, loud enough and they block some wind noise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts