Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and a buddy are leaving in a few weeks on a 1200 mile road trip were leaving from detroit and headding to the east coast. my bike is a 07 900 custom with 14000 miles on it the tires are great and ill change the oil but what else should i check befor i depart and is the 900 custom capable of this trip i dont know if its really a highway bike

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
me and a buddy are leaving in a few weeks on a 1200 mile road trip were leaving from detroit and headding to the east coast. my bike is a 07 900 custom with 14000 miles on it the tires are great and ill change the oil but what else should i check befor i depart and is the 900 custom capable of this trip i dont know if its really a highway bike
Of course your bike can make it.
I rode part of the way with a guy going from Florida to California on a Honda NightHawk 250.
He made it with no problems.

The 900 is a great highway bike.

Rod

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Make sure your tires have plenty of tread for that long a trip, and be sure to check the air pressure in the tires.

If you haven't recently done so, change your oil and oil filter.

Clean and polish the windshield (if you have one) and just go. The 900 is a fine touring machine. My wife thinks so, and she has taken hers, an LT, on trips longer than 1200 miles and was just tickled pink with it. The Custom is a capable a long distance bike as the Classic and the LT.

The biggest thing is to make sure you have fun!!!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The 900 is a great highway machine. What makes you think it isn't?

And a stator can fail on any bike. So, no need to stress over it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
from my house to detroit is about 200 miles ive ridden it a few times for 100 to 200 miles and it just sounds like its reving high at about 75 80 i know they make difrent pulleys for it and it prolly sounds worse than it is but it just singes a tune on the eway

·
Registered
346 Posts
as you said, change oil and filter, check all important bolt and nuts that's tight.
make sure tire pressure are good, break fuel level, check all cables like clutch or break. make sure your battery are good because i heard some vulcan have bad stator to charge it.

here comes the important things, if you are all guys and single. make sure you bring protection and lots singles.

that's all i can think about for now

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just finished doing a 8400km round trip on my LT. Sunshine good food,maybe a extra wobbly pop or two. now have 37000 on the 07.
Of course Its a Hwy bike. Fresh oil, fresh filter, proper air pressure then grip it and rip it.

+1 on EVO

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
from my house to detroit is about 200 miles ive ridden it a few times for 100 to 200 miles and it just sounds like its reving high at about 75 80 i know they make difrent pulleys for it and it prolly sounds worse than it is but it just singes a tune on the eway
You should understand that this is the way these bikes were engineered. A lot of thought goes into gearing and overall performance for highways. Get you some foam ear plugs, and tear it up!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ditto on the ear plus, also pack a little first aid kit for the bike and yourself. Bike: pliers, adjustable wrench, electrical tape, assorted size hose clamps, flat and Phillips screw-drivers. You: sunscreen, band-aids, maybe some type of talc powder, ibuprofen, nasal moisturizer and be sure to drink plenty of water.

I have made several 400 plus mile trips on mine and the only problem I had was the clutch cable, the soldered end under the bike snapped off (ie: the hose clamps) of course I didn't have the bike first aid kit and spent about $40 bucks at the interstate exit gas station for the pliers, screw drivers and hose clamps.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have taken my Custom on many, many long tours. I don't have a wind shield, so I wear a full face or a 3/4 with a face shield.

These bikes are awesome for long tours. Great on gas, and handle very well, If you have not done long distances before on this bike, try a "mini" long tour to see if your butt and back can handle the stock seat (if that is what you have).

As for the revs, they are probably a lot lower than they sound. I also wear ear plugs when I do long tours, because my pipes are so damn loud. (They came with the bike).

Just as others said, check tire pressure, do an oil change, if you have saddle bags make sure they are closed properly (I have seen many people with stuff fly out of their saddle bags!) If you don't have saddle bags, make sure whatever you are carrying your stuff in is secured properly! Check your air filter too.

And, last but not least, enjoy your ride!!!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I've started telling people that if you have some new accessory that hasn't been on a long trip yet, take a tool or two to tighten or reattach it. Beyond that, do all the stuff that's already been mentioned. Make a checklist to ensure you've packed everything that is important to you, whatever that might be. I've taken my bike 500 miles in a day, mostly interstate, and the bike did fine. I have a few accessories to make the trip more comfortable but the bike would go 75mph from gas station to gas station (150-180 miles) without even breaking a sweat.
Don't forget to pack your camera and read up on how to post pictures here for when you get back.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm sitting in Durango, CO half way thru a 1,500 mile trip and the 900 has been a dream even with 108 degree temps in Moab yesterday. The biggest thing I've needed was a way to clean my windshield and faceshield while on this trip. Also, if you are running a stock seat you will probably notice you will want to get off the bike after about 100 miles or so. I did some homemade mods to my seat and now I can ride all day with no seat issues.

Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'm sitting in Durango, CO half way thru a 1,500 mile trip and the 900 has been a dream even with 108 degree temps in Moab yesterday. The biggest thing I've needed was a way to clean my windshield and faceshield while on this trip. Also, if you are running a stock seat you will probably notice you will want to get off the bike after about 100 miles or so. I did some homemade mods to my seat and now I can ride all day with no seat issues.

Enjoy your ride.
Sounds like fun!

I'd like to know what you were able to do with your stock seat. I can't tell from the pics you posted due to them being of your car tire. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You might want to pack along a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide for removing bugs off the windshield. Spray it on, let it sit several seconds while it disolves the bugs' protein (you can watch it foam up as it works), then wipe off. Finish with a good windshield polish.

I wouldn't worry much about the stator, either. I think the reason most fail is because they are overtaxed. So unless you have an unreasonable number of lights hooked up as well as other electrics, it should be OK. As I understand it, most of the stator issues have been with some of the older 900's.

Yesterday I took my wife's LT for a little ride of about 80 miles because the tires on my VStrom are in serious need of replacement. I'd forgotten just how pleasant the 900 is to ride. I had a very nice time and enjoyed the ride a lot.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I get home tonight and will throw together a thread about what I did. My plan was to do it when it was done, but I stretched the deer skin over ther seat and then loaded the bike for this trip. Still needs a little tweaking, but I'm in it for about $90(mostly the deerskin).

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Cruisers were designed for cruising, not touring, but you can tour on them just fine. IU've ridden mine from Edmonton, ALTA to San Diego. But they really aren't made for 80mph all day, as the bore and stroke on them is for low end torque not high end performance, thus the high revs at high speed. I have a 1500,and I usually run it at 65-70 all day and it does just fine. Any faster than that and it wastes a lot of fuel and seems to run a lot hotter. Heat is an enemy to any engine, and besides, isn't the point of a trip to enjoy the scenery and the ride? The 900 will do just fine on a trip, but if you don't have to go 75-80, I wouldn't. It will do those speeds just fine, but it can wear internal parts out a lot faster, too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Are you trying to compare the high reving 900 with a Harley?

I will agree that the American built V-Twins are built to turn low rpms, but thats not the case with the 900. I'm not sure if its a Japanese thing, but both my VX800 and VN900 are designed to turn high rpms and if you try and compare them with the American V-Twins they do sound like the are being over rev'ed. If you read the tech manuals on the 900 you are well within safe rpms running at 75mph. I would recommend ear plugs if you have Cobra Dragsters like me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts