Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -
I have my new Vulcan s and love it. One thing I am finding a bit annoying, however, is once the bike is parked (in neutral) I usually can't get the bike into either first or second gear unless the engine is on. The solution is simple (turn the engine off in gear), but I often coast to a stop in neutral and then shut the engine down. Most of the time I have to restart the engine to get the bike back into gear.

Is this a Kawasaki thing, a Vulcan s thing, or just a "me thing".

Thanks,

Dan

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
You'll just need to walk the bike forwards or backwards just a bit (about 6" max), while continuously clicking the shifter, to get the gears to line up. I have to do this every time I get back from a ride after pushing the bike back into the house. From what I understand its a pretty common "all bikes thing", though I could be misled there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wait what? So your saying you put your bike in gear while its off? Why? Ive never done this or even heard of doing this in my 40 some years riding motorcycles. Why would you? I'm I missing something or is this going to be one of those "You learn something new everyday" things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi -
Yes, if I shut the bike off in neutral, I put it in gear (although I try to remember to turn it off while in gear (1st or 2nd). I do this so the bike won't roll. Neutral is fine if on a flat surface, but my driveway has an incline as do others and some streets.
I am pretty sure I am not unique to this, but I could be wrong.

Dan

·
Registered
57 Posts
New, to riding but always leave my bike in 1st gear as well. Then I know it won't roll. I have friends that have left there bike in neutral only to find it is a different spot (usually on it's side) when they go back to it because it has rolled. I see no reason not to leave it in 1st gear when it's off. Unless there is some sort of mechanical reason not to?????

·
Registered
111 Posts
I always just hold the clutch in, put it in first and coast to a stop. Whats nice about it is that the bike shuts off when you put the kickstand down while in gear.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have always parked vehicles in gear. I was taught it at a young age to prevent rollaway.
Farm Tractors, Trucks, the Motorcycle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ok cool I get the parking on a hill. I have seen people get tossed off the back of bikes from starting them in gear and the bike jumping forwards. Always said the same thing after. "Damn someone sat on my bike and put it in gear." LOL This was back when you could start a bike in gear and with the kickstand down and in gear. (I'm guessing those 2 safety fetchers were add for that reason) I guess its just depends on where you are and when you started riding.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just get used to never turn off with the key.

I come to parking spot. I put down the kickstand. If the engine doesn't shut off, it means I'm not in gear, so I put it in gear and it's off.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have the solution, dont shut off the bike until you've shifted into gear.

Of course you cant get it into gear without the motor turning!

Yes you can, pull in clutch and repeatedly downshift and move motorcycle back and forth until it meshes into gear

I will add that if I’m not parked in the garage at home, the bike is in gear!

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Ok cool I get the parking on a hill. I have seen people get tossed off the back of bikes from starting them in gear and the bike jumping forwards. Always said the same thing after. "Damn someone sat on my bike and put it in gear." LOL This was back when you could start a bike in gear and with the kickstand down and in gear. (I'm guessing those 2 safety fetchers were add for that reason) I guess its just depends on where you are and when you started riding.
It's an all around common sense safety measure. Even if you aren't on a hill. Some doofus comes along and brushes against your bike, it starts to slightly move forward and BAMM. Dent city. Or worse it falls on the Doofus and he sues your ass. It's better to have it in gear and rather be safe than sorry. Or at least pull your hand brake :wink2:

·
Registered
697 Posts
"Yes you can, pull in clutch and repeatedly downshift and move motorcycle back and forth until it meshes into gear"

Why go through all that when you can shift into gear and THEN shut it off???

Some just like more work I guess.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Whenever I’m coming to a stop, I’m in first. Unless it’s parked inside my garage (where I usually have to move it) it’s parked in first gear. For all the reasons others mentioned. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with I guess 90 something percent of the responses. Stop in gear and put the kickstand down and you're done.
Let me also add that rolling to a stop in neutral is a bad habit to be in on/in any vehicle. One never knows when one might have to get the hell out of the way of an idiot.
I do sometimes have the opposite problem of wanting to move the bike after it's parked and have to turn it on to get it in neutral. Don't think i have to start it though if I remember correctly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts