Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New 02 Vulcan 800 owner. Picked up Friday and was putting some miles on it Saturday. Bike has 28k miles. At around 170 miles of me on it and cruising at 85 mph it lost power. Got it home. Pulled plugs and this is what I see.

Anyone have a clue what would cause this? I’ll have to assume the motor it done. I am tempted to put new plugs in and see what happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used to race a Lotus 900 series engine, these are well known for pistons touching plugs due to rod stretch at high revs, It is not unknown for there to be no damage to the engine, the plug can 'compress' a little at the gap, so try new plugs, reason is either rod stretch (so piston is to high) or plug to low, this can be wrong/long plug or i've seen some one remove the compression washer/ring of the plug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like he may have installed wrong plugs before he sold it. At this point you have nothing to lose.. Try it!
Turned out they match what’s in the owners manual. I put new in and it still didn’t start. I’m getting fuel and spark. Sprayed starting fluid. I’m beginning to think the piston has a hole or it’s missing a valve. I can’t test compression with how deep the cylinder is.

I used to race a Lotus 900 series engine, these are well known for pistons touching plugs due to rod stretch at high revs, It is not unknown for there to be no damage to the engine, the plug can 'compress' a little at the gap, so try new plugs, reason is either rod stretch (so piston is to high) or plug to low, this can be wrong/long plug or i've seen some one remove the compression washer/ring of the plug.
I bet you’re right. I doubt this little 800 likes to rev high for long periods. It had the correct plugs and still had the compression washer on the old ones.

Frustrating. Thought I had bought a good little runner. I think I’ll need to figure something it part out or engine off eBay.

·
Registered
103 Posts
“cruising at 85 mph”

Vulcan 800 - “cruising at 85 mph”

I have the Vulcan 900 I am not able to cruise at 85 mph

Seems like a new owner fail!!!:surprise:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You probably want to run a magnet around the top of the piston to make sure there are no bits of plug left before installing new ones.
I wanted to try that but couldn’t locate my magnet. It still didn’t start when tried. I feel like it’s lost compression. It’s just weird since there’s no funny sounds. It turns over just as normal.

Vulcan 800 - “cruising at 85 mph”

I have the Vulcan 900 I am not able to cruise at 85 mph

Seems like a new owner fail!!!/forums/images/VulcanForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png
Your 900 isn’t able to get to 85? In this part of Texas you’d be run over!

This 800 wouldn’t go much over. That was about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
More likely it has dropped a valve. Not unheard of on 800's that have had valve lash checks ignored.
Do you think it would drop both at same time? That's what has me puzzled. I hate to start tearing down the engine.

I'm not sure it it'd be cheaper to fix the current motor, get one off ebay, or dump is as a parts bike... I bought it so my little brother could ride Twisted Sisters with me and my Dad 9/19. So that sounds like I'll either need to buy another bike or he's not coming.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
1. If it was the piston hitting the plugs, I would think that you would not have gone more than 10 feet without it stopping. The very least is that it would hammer the plug gap closed.
2. Both plugs...the only thing I can think of is that a piece of the dropped valve got blown into the intake manifold and sucked into the other cylinder.
3. You are looking at a very expensive repair. If it were me, I would look for another engine.
4. You mentioned a lack of compression. You are probably right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Go on ebay and buy a cheap bore scope for your phone, I saw one the other day for 3$
I just ordered one off Amazon. It has a light, magnet tip, hook, and 30,45,60* mirror. Well have to see what the width is. The spark plug is 9.88 mm wide at the threads. The bore scope doesn’t list its width.

GUYO WiFi Wireless Endoscope 2.0MP 1200P Full HD Inspection Camera,IP68 Waterproof Borescope with 8 LED Lights,Semi-Rigid Cable Snake Camera for iPhone Android Smartphones,Table PC,iPad 16.5FT(5M) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DH8BGTX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DWXBDb6C3T9Q4

1 - 14 of 14 Posts