Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a set of these tires, normal for front, 200 for rear. The customer service folks said that my current tubes should be fine, so I didn't buy any.

Any tips for installation or riding that I should know about with these tires? I'm thinking that they'll make a nice enhancement to my 900. :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
pay the guys that have the machine to mount them, without damage.. JMO..
Dan

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just my 2cents worth. I worked in Bike shops for about 10 years and I've seen people re-use tubes and I've seen people replace them. You only have 2 wheels and depend on them much more than in a car. You're not as likely to coast to the curb on a flat tire on a bike. Although the existing tubes may look OK they have been subjected to a lot of heat and stress as well as being pulled around a lot in the tire change process. As long as you're payingb the labor and going through all the hassle of pulling the rims (especially the rear one) it makes sense to put new tubes in while it's pulled apart. Rubber compounds tend to harden and become less flexible and more prone to cracking with age. I know there will be replies to my comments from someone who says he has gone through 5 sets of tires and never replaced a tube, but for the costs involved (about 9-10 cents a day for the first year) thats a pretty low price to pay for peace of mind. Again these are only my thoghts on the subject and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've seen em pinch a new tube just as quick as a used one. I've had a friend and his wife go down and be out of business for 6 months while they were rehabilitating thanks to a new tube that had a fold in it thanks to a bad install.

The more important thing is, how old and how many miles are on the tube. When I swapped to my first car tire the tube was only 6 months old and only had 7500 miles. If it had 20,000 on it or was 2-3 years old, I'd think about the service life of the tube. But such low mileage and such a young age? Didn't worry a bit. 2 tires per front tube puts the mileage close to 25,000 miles.
It's just the same as when do you change a tire. When it has 1-2 millimeters left or when it's bald? 90 percent of the problems with the tire are in the last 2 millimeters, might as well swap it before unless you don't go fast and you don't go far. Tubes are the same. 5 tires a tube? The amount of miles most folks put on the bike that will be one OLD tube. 10-15 years by some reconning. If they ride a lot, that will be a tube with way to many miles on it. My Car tires last 20-25,000 miles. Thats enough miles to swap the tube. If the tube looks and inspects good on swap, I'll stick it back in on a front till I get mid 20's on that one.

Low performance Car application, where I don't have tubes but if I did, I'd run that sucker till it wouldn't hold air. Like you said, Cars are different then bikes. But rubber is rubber and it doesn't wear out just because you change the tire.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My tube replacement plan is every three years or two tires, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. My inclination was to buy and install new tubes. I bought the tires from the Motorcycle Superstore and they were out of the tubes that I need. I talked with their customer service and the guy there was of the same opinion as MrClean.

Personally, I'm inclined to side with Bob Kay. I'm buying these tires because they're very good, sticky tires, to help keep me from falling. IOW, I'm paying extra for performance tires that I won't usually need, for the additional security they should provide over the OEM Dunlops. So, I think it's wise to have the dealer put in new tubes, if they can get them for me, when they mount the tires.

As an aside, my original intent was to go to the dark side. My dealer's service manager said that they'd tried several times to mount car tires on various bike rims and failed to get it done in all cases. I'm not sure what that means, but it wasn't welcome news..... I hope they don't have any issues mounting my Pirellis when they arrive. :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts