Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is unpaid endorsement...I just put a new MT66 up front(back tire last season) both are stock size(dont care about the speedo) and the front tire has made a huge difference in handleing for me...maybe this my imagination but it seems to inproved my cornering and it is much less "graby" on uneven pavemet and milled road surface...so in closing if your in the market for new tires check them out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm really enjoying my new MT66 on the rear. It handles much better than the Dunlop on wet roads and it is a lot less likely to lock up during heavy braking.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Next time you need a front tire, give a thought to the MT66 Rear in 130/70/16 for the front. Turn the tire to run in reverse, and enjoy.

Reason. Rear tires are made with almost 2x the rubber the front has, more wear is put on the rear tire, than the front, so the rear is thicker in the hope they will wear out together.

Double your milage with the same handling as a front tire.
6,000 miles and hardley worn at all.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Why run it in reverse? This would seem to inhibit the tread from evacuating water correctly. Isn't the front a 130/90-16 on the Classic/LT?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Why run it in reverse? This would seem to inhibit the tread from evacuating water correctly. Isn't the front a 130/90-16 on the Classic/LT?
You could be right on the 90 getting old.
If you run it in reverse, you face the tread in the correct position, and you avoid the peel that could happen under extreme stress.

The tread on the front and rear tires are just reversed. If you reverse a rear you have a front.

Lots of people do it. Its the Double part of DOUBLE DARKSIDE.

The great thing is we can do it. Our front tire is the size of a lot of rear tires.

·
Registered
292 Posts
On the Kenda site for the Kruz, there is a listing for the 130/90-16 front and rear. The front has a tread depth of 4 mm and the rear a tread depth of 7.5 mm. Interestingly enough, the weight difference between the two tires is almost 10 pounds. http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/motorcycle/street/kruz.aspx

·
Registered
424 Posts
On the Kenda site for the Kruz, there is a listing for the 130/90-16 front and rear. The front has a tread depth of 4 mm and the rear a tread depth of 7.5 mm. Interestingly enough, the weight difference between the two tires is almost 10 pounds. http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/motorcycle/street/kruz.aspx
Pirelli, Metzeler, Avon, most of the tire company's make that size, it is widely used on many older bikes.
We just have the option of putting it on the front.

Well that's almost 2x.

That's OK I just shed 10 lbs of ugly lead, thanks to my new friend, and gained 10 lbs of tread.

6k and still more tread than the Dunlop when it was new. I look to get from 15k to 18k on the (rear) front. It is a motorcycle tire at LEAST, the rear tire is another story, but I expect to get 25k on the rear tire.:D

Do some math and it becomes very easy to see, that this is a popular mod on large cruisers that pack on a lot of miles.

Some light reading on the subject is
http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=DarkSiding&nav=start&prettyurl=%2FDarkSiding%2Fstart
Ride safe.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I switched to Pirelli's last year and love'm! I currently have 8,600 miles on them and by looking at the tread should get at least 4-5,000 more out of the rear. I contacted Pirelli about tire pressures,and they replied that they always recommend higher pressures for longer lasting tires.I know some like the lower pressures for handling,but I mainly ride one up and keep 40 psi in the back and 38 psi in the front with these.I used to run lower pressures on the Bridgestones I had,but these pressures seem to work well with handling and treadwear. www.americanmototire.com seems to have the best prices I could find with free ship

·
Registered
851 Posts
I put front/rear Pirelli MT66 on my Classic/LT and I have 14.5k on them and still looking to get 1500+ miles from the rear. All I can say is that they are hands down much better than the crappy Dulops that I will never go back to, I love em and plan on staying with them.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Glad to hear they're good tires. Mine will be installed this weekend.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Recently put MT66s on my Custom and couldn't be happier with them with regard to handling and braking. No idea about wear yet as they're only just scrubbed in. Best thing was, they were actually cheaper than buying a new set of Dunlops!

·
Registered
455 Posts
More than 8k on mine now. Certainly not even close to end of service.

Much better than stock dunys. But, I think you need to be sure of a proper tire that fits you area of operations.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm on my second set of Mt66, a truly fine tire. I'd have gotten 12K miles out of the first set, but I was going on a long road trip, so changed them at 10K to have new rubber a long way from home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts