Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 900 Vulcan Classic LT. Just hit 5000 miles on it. Tired of sounding like the old lady next door on a "grocery getter". Any recommendations? Brands? Chrome concerns? Lengths? Engine/Fuel efficiency? Tips would be appreciated. Recommendations for sound... Factory, Louder and Loudest would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I went with Cobra Speedster Shorts, however, I also upgraded the intake (Arlen Ness Big Sucker) and added a fuel processor (FI2000R) along with a need to twist the throttle. My point is, I was getting just about 50 MPG and now I seem to come in between 42.5 to 43.5 MPG but I don't know how much of that I could attribute to the pipes. I really love the sound (not too loud but definitely right there), the slight performance boost, and the look is what I wanted so I can live with the mileage hit. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im really looking into the Cobra Swept exhaust. I think they look great blacked out with the 900C SE factory blacked out look. Dont know for sound though. I hope to soon though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a new set of Rush Racing exhaust.

Here is the link
Rush Mufflers - Motorcycle Mufflers - Slip On Mufflers - Motorcycle Exhaust
I tried to install them and just do not know how to. So I am just going to sell them
You will need more wrenching know how than me. Which is not much.

I paid 539.00 for them will sell for 295.00 shipped to lower 48 states.

These are a 3 peace set 2 headers and 2 slipon muffler. I know the picture looks like 2 pipes but that is the heat shields.

I liked them, I have heard them on a 900 before it sound good, just to hard for me to install.

Thanks

·
Registered
782 Posts
You might as well have asked us all what out favorite ice cream was. You are going to get lots of different answers. I personally have the Cobra Dragsters with the quiet core baffles. They look and sound great. However, if I had of had plenty of money, I would have probably gotten the Speedster Longs. The Cobras are pretty loud as stock. That is why I added the baffles and it made a world of difference. Now I can stand to ride an hour without getting a headache.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have the Cobra HP 2-1 Powerpro. I had to install a quiet baffle due to headaches, ringing ears. It is LOUD. The benefit of a 2-1 are increased performance, and esy access to the belt adjustment nuts. Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
711 Posts
This is one of those items everyone will have a different opinion. I really liked the OEM pipes style so I went for the Vance & Hines Staggereds and really love them. I hear lots of compliments all the time.

·
Registered
228 Posts
question regarding pipes. I have a 900 custom and want it a little louder. By changing the pipes does it throw off the compression in the motor??? or is it flawless and just works?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I went with Cobra Speedster Shorts, however, I also upgraded the intake (Arlen Ness Big Sucker) and added a fuel processor (FI2000R) along with a need to twist the throttle. My point is, I was getting just about 50 MPG and now I seem to come in between 42.5 to 43.5 MPG but I don't know how much of that I could attribute to the pipes. I really love the sound (not too loud but definitely right there), the slight performance boost, and the look is what I wanted so I can live with the mileage hit. Good luck.
Probably not much of it attributted to the new parts themselves, most of it attributed to you having fun with the new parts. ;)

Dunno about you, but I put louder pipes on to hear them rap out every now and then and that means on the throttle more.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have the Cobra HP 2-1 Powerpro. I had to install a quiet baffle due to headaches, ringing ears. It is LOUD. The benefit of a 2-1 are increased performance, and esy access to the belt adjustment nuts. Good luck in your choice.
I love my HP Power Pros too.

·
Registered
950 Posts
:cool:
could you send me the info for the place you got this pipe? how much was it? did you install them? If you did how did it go??

they look great!!
I bought mine off of Amazon. They currently run for $438 shipped. Rocky Mountain ATV is the actual seller. They currently have 2 in stock. Here is a pick. Install can be done alone, but a second set of hands is useful. Ensure you order a new gasket set. Torque nuts to 19 inch pounds.[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-PowerPro-Motorcycle-Exhaust-KAWASAKI/dp/B000I5C43I/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1311017481&sr=1-3[/ame]

·
Registered
851 Posts
Here's a video of my Cobra longs on my 09, I do have the K&N filter and the Cobra FI2000R processor. I wish they had a little deeper sound, but they are what they are and love em just the same. I don't think they are as loud as some say, unless I twist the wrist and open them up and thats where I with they were a little deeper sound but they still sound great. Keep in mind...The video doesn't do justice justice for these pipes! Good Luck!
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought my leftover 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom with the Cobra swept pipes already installed on the showroom floor. Mine are flat black to match the paint. Also installed is a K&N filter and Power Commander. The pipes lines flow very nicely with the look of the bike, and they sound great. On a scale of 1 - 10 on the loudness scale, I would give them a (7.5). I think you can see them good enough on my avitar.

·
Registered
658 Posts
could you send me the info for the place you got this pipe? how much was it? did you install them? If you did how did it go??

they look great!!
Thanks for the compliment. I really like the exhaust, they are loud enough without being too loud in my opinion and they supposedly give a little HP gain.

I got mine off the classifieds here on vulcan forums. I go them for abour $200 if I recall. They are the Cobra Power Pro 2-into-1 exhaust. They are a little different than the HP version, the non HP has the flair at the rear of the pipe, internally the two models are the same. (My brother has the HP version)

I installed them myself, I am by no means a mechanic but I did stay at a holiday in the night before (LOL). It was the first mod I did on my bike. The instructions are on the Cobrausa.com site. Very straight forward installation. Remember to buy new crush gaskets for any exhaust install, cheap insurance against leaks.

Feel free to ask any questions, the install for most exhausts should be pretty much the same on the engine side (front side). The exhaust (back side) my differ though.

hope this helps...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Vance and Hines

I just put a Vance and Hines staggered pipes on my Vulcan 900 Custom. I have to wear earplugs to keep from getting a headache, but there is a" saying that lowd pipes saves lives". The fit and finish is also very good and they were very easy to install.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the 2.5in Roadburner Street Pros, which are also made by Hard Krome. I also have the hard kore quiet baffles installed. I like them and get plenty compliments on the sound.

As for the price, they were on the bike when I bought it. However the quiet baffles I did add, those were around $75 from smartpartz.com

1 - 20 of 23 Posts