Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a bike with pipes, K&N, and removed the secondary plates. I have this done on my bike and am wondering if a fuel management system will make a big difference or not enough to notice. Exhaust popping is not really an issue every once in a while it may pop but this is rare. Just wondering if it's worth the money and which one would you recommend.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the Cobra fi2000R and although it is a little more involving to set up, I highly recommend it. IMHO and others on here, the factory set up these bikes on the lean side.

You have up the flow of air on both sides of the combustion chamber, which would make the bike even run more lean.

I'd get one on there sooner than later, it's worth it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have heard about them being lean but I don't believe mine is lean, when I took the air cleaner off there was a lot of oil that dropped out of the cover. And know the bike was never over full. Am definitely getting one soon, live in Michigan and only have about 3 more months before I have to park it for the winter and that is when I will put some more money into it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
166 Posts
crankcase is vented into air cleaner housing, this is where the oil is coming from. this is normal, just not excessive amount, mine has had a small amount between changes. pull your plugs and that will tell if you are running lean.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Just as a heads-up...do some research on the removal of the throttle plates before you attempt it...after my reading I decided to NOT remove those throttle plates...use your own judgement after reading other people's experiences. If you do remove them, be super-careful with the screws, and don't strip them...and don't drop them into the intake. Also, be careful with the actuator gizmo that is attached to those same throttle plate rods (I think it is, can't totally remember). Just do your research. E&OE.

Here:
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/49-vulcan-900/172257-review-sub-throttle-plates-out.html

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sounds like he has already removed the throttle plates.Having oil in the air filter housing has nothing to do with running rich or lean.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only difference I have noticed with the secondary plates out is a way improved throttle response. That was the last thing that I did and there is no hesitation. I don't ride highway much but it doesn't seem to have anymore vibrations with them out. I have checked the plugs a few times and they look good, have an orange color which I have always found to be optimal. Don't know a lot about these v-twins usually had inline 4's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts