Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

(Hope the thread is okay here, I noticed there isn't a gear topic in these forums)

I have a helmet with one of those pin-lock inserts. It works... ish. Works great until it starts getting cold, which is when I mainly need it. It fogs up like crazy in the evening below about 50F.

I installed it by lining up the tabs on the inside of the helmet and then sliding the pinlock into place and pushing firmly to ensure it was seated.

Any tips on making this work? Did I install it wrong? What have been your experiences dealing with the Pinlock helmets? Does it work for you?

I'm not talking a little fog either, I have to leave the visor cracked when it's cold out which, makes for a VERY cold ride! Seems counter intuitive, since when it's warm I don't need anti fog. A) It doesn't fog and B) I either wear sunglasses or safety glasses with the visor all the way open when it's warm, so it doesn't matter!

-John

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I have yet to own a helmet that doesn't fog up, this is from a $800 Shoei to a cheaper $100 G max to HJC's in between, none was any worse or better than the other, i just ride with the visor cracked open.

Make sure the vents are open to circulate the air thru the helmet, when i wear sunglasses underneath, every time i open the visor, my glasses fog up.

I'm sure there are some home remedies that may work ... i just don't know em.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use PLEXUS cleaner polish and it helps a lot with fog. Just clean the inside of your visor with Plexus and will help keep the fog from forming. I also heard that you can use liquid dish washing detergent such as Dawn by wiping it on the inside of your visor and letting it dry and that is supposed to help also.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I always take a bit of dish washing liquid soap and put a light coat on the inside of my visor and let it dry after it has dried use a soft towel and buff it off, works great for me, we used it on our off road goggles when we were racing. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used to do that with Johnsons baby shampoo... it'll work but needed to re apply at least weekly. I wanted a dark smoke visor so I went with the pin lock along with a clear insert. Pretty happy with the dark smoke as opposed to the clear visor that came with the helmet.. ( put it away incase I ever night ride ). Wont know how good it performs till Spring; but from researching online it seems to be the best anti-fog system they came up with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts