Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Okay well we've put a few thousand miles on the Vulcan 900 and I think we know what we need to do to make it perfect, but I do have one question;

My fiancee keeps complaining about knee soreness on the back of the bike. She's about 5' even, I've just got pegs, and she wears some mens tall hiking boots with a steel toe when we ride so she's got plenty of ankle support. Do you guys think floorboards (and thus being able to shuffle her feet back and forth a little) will help with that? Any other suggestions? Usually only happens when we're on the bike for an hour and a half or more at a time, but the problem is, when we're doing that, we're going somewhere, and once it's sore, it's sore the rest of the day, and we have to keep stopping to let her stretch her knee.

Anyone care to share their experience? I'm thinking floorboards, I find myself moving my feet back and forth on long rides.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I am thinking about the same thing for my wife, and floor boards so she can shift her feet around a bit. I know it helps me to be able to shift my foot position and relieve knee strain. My wife will be off her feet for a while (foot surgery), so if you do add floor boards would like to hear if they helped.

Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
91 Posts
Strongly recommend you invest in floor boards.
My passenger melted the sole on her right foot sneaker when her foot slipped off the peg.
Also now she can move her feet with the floor boards which has improved her riding comfort.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It's all about flexibility. The more she can change postions during a ride, the better. Floorboards, definitely. I'd even look for ones with the little switchblade type highway peg that pops out. In the end though, if her knee bothers her while riding distances, you should just plan on stopping more often. It's not a big deal as long as you plan accordingly. As you said, once she's in pain she's hurting all day. That's no way to spend your time.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I highly recommend floorboards and maybe looking into a Mustang seat, it will cost a bit but the investment is worth every penny. I and the wife could ride forever and not know what pain is. We both loved the passanger floorboard, she had no more pain in her feet and I had no more pain with having to clean off my pipes from her melted shoe on them.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Do you guys think floorboards (and thus being able to shuffle her feet back and forth a little) will help with that?
Yes. My wife is MUCH happier now that she has floorboards.

Get a Mustang seat too.

Joe

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Are her legs too cramped? If that's the case you can extend the pegs down and/or forward a little bit. I believe I've seen these for sale but if not any good bike shop should be able to take care of you.

I put passenger floorboards on for my wife and she really likes them. The Kuryakyn boards I bought have five different spots to attach them to the bike so you get a little bit of flexibility if you have aftermarket exhaust. With the stockers, you are somewhat limited. You can get them in chrome (KY-4351) or black (KY-4357).

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My wife is doing much better with floorboards as well. Her problem wasn't knees though, she was getting peg-foot (sore arches). We already did the Mustang Seat, next we're going for an AirHawk to help with her lower back issues. With the AirHawk I figure I can use it on solo rides too.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My wife loves the passenger floorboards over the pegs; she can shift to multiple safe foot positions, whereas on pegs, only arch, toe or heel, and even then, with the pipes right below, she has to be conscious of not touching the pipes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts