Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently posted on a thread with a couple of pictures of my bike. I later have found the pictures have been edited out because of a size limit. It would seem the limitce the forum didn't complain about it when I posted and they could be seen for a couple of days.

So...

1. What is this size limit?

2. Why is there a size limit, if the pictures aren't hosted here? It is just a link to somewhere else, and the only issue is they take time to load?

3. If our posts are edited and no longer make sense, shouldn't we be told/advised or some kind of web site notice posted about this?

I rather like large pictures. I am on DSL and don't mind the load time, vs looking at postage stamps. A fair warning can be stated for those on slow modems (who is these days??) like "56K beware"...

Just asking. Love the site. Just was kind of a surprise.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
There isn't anything set in stone...yet...but we are working on it.

1. 800x600 is an acceptable size, not too big, not too small.

2. There still some people on dial-up, granted, probably not that many with todays' technology, but either way we want people to be able to download at an acceptable rate. As an example, there's another bike forum that I lurk on, they post huge pics and lots of them, even with my DSL it tskes forever to download. Now imagine a dial up guy trying to get on the same page, more than likely they'll get frustrated at the download time and not come back to the site. I used to be that guy, we didn't get dsl until just a year ago(I live in the boonies:p) We'd like to keep the site available for anyone to peruse, reguard of their connection. I'm not really a web-tech guy so I really can't answer the bandwidth usage part.

3. Yes.

We're working on some more things, nothing drastic, just things that should be in place while the site is small. IMHO, it's easier to get used to things while the site is small versus trying to adapt later.

For me, I'm a noobie mod here, I'm admin and mod on another forum and it's a completely different system here than what I'm used to, but I'm learning the ropes. If anyone has any questions or concerns feel free to pm me anytime.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would urge you to consider 1024x768 as the max. I think today many of us have flat screens and dsl and can enjoy the higher res pictures. I do understand a limitation should be there for signatures, but on a thread labeled "Post pictures here" then people should realize pictures will be posted and can take time to download if on slow access.

Thumbnail to larger pictures would be ok, I hope. :)

·
hasbeen
258 Posts
Sounds like a misunderstanding. Please feel free to contact one of the admins whenever there is any doubt.

I heard the pics were posted under your signature (to show up on every post). If so, then the pics should have been removed as they were too big as stated in your signature upload box. If the pics were just linked into a thread that should have been fine. No reason not to alow high resolution pics IMO. If thats the case, please feel free to repost and our appologies.

As mentioned earlier, the site rules are currently in the works so it will be clear to everyone. They are not intended to suck the fun out of the board but simply guidelines. They should be posted within the next week.

·
Registered
42 Posts
From Dial up user

As part of that small community of dial up users I think 600X800 is plenty of detail for a picture. As mentioned above there are site that I do not go to anymore because of the HUGE pictures they allow and one where I think each signature is at least 100K. I quit trying to download those threads because 90% of the screen area was just signatures.

Threads related to pics would still be great at 600x800 max.(actually I think a file size limit would be more appropriate so you can have lots of detail in a smaller pic or a broader shot with less resolution) you don't really gain that much with the extra data especially when the (and I am talking in general and not about any particular pic I've seen here, let me stress that) the pic is not cropped and includes half the neighborhood. I understand the concept of composition and some of the wider shot are interesting but they are in the minority.

Just my $0.03 worth.

·
hasbeen
258 Posts
LOL I cant even figure how to show a picture of my bike
Well your close. :) Now that you have uploaded the image you can see the image linked above the manage attachments button. Click on the link and it will bring up the image in a new window. Highlight and copy the address (CTRL C) and then edit your post and click on the insert image icon and paste the image address into the window, hit enter and submit reply/edit.

:)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Still working on this....I am at 1348x1078 (I think), wide screen, new Acer. I am still learning this pic thing.

bh
If you search the internet there are several programs available for free that will easily reduce a pictures size... I personally like one called "Photo Razor" that is a free down load, and will let you reduce the pic size for whole folders at a time... it then places the smaller versions of the pics in sub folder in with the original pics labeled "small". It also helps if a person signs up for a web hosting account somewhere... some places (including here in post) the pics have to be stored and the URL of the pic you are wanting to show has to be used from that storage site.

As to putting in my 2 cents worth on image size... I would think using a kb limit would be the better option.. I know myself I could make an image fit within the size limits, but be fairly large in kb's if I chose to do so, but know I can also make a larger image be very low resolution and fit within a kb limit... anyone on dial up could view a large low resolution pic just as well as a small high resolution pic. :cool:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I will try Photo Razor, this sounds like a good idea. On kbs, I have that prob because the pics I took are 2mb (nice pics I guess). Fine, will see what I can do, thx for the solution (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I keep mine at Photobucket and never have a problem. It is free and you can direct link all you want. I choose to pay the $20/year to have the upgraded account, but you really don't have to. And it generates the code you need to post here as thumbnails, which is very nice.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I will try Photo Razor, this sounds like a good idea. On kbs, I have that prob because the pics I took are 2mb (nice pics I guess). Fine, will see what I can do, thx for the solution (fingers crossed).
I hear you.. I have one digi-cam that takes 2-3mb pics, and another that takes them at around 8-9mb, many places on-line will not even come close to letting you upload pics that size... and if it will... it takes forever for them to upload at that size.

I personally pay for a web hosting site at Domania... mainly because they have no bandwidth limitations, and seldom are down so pics don't show where I use them... and I also have a hobby of bulding web pages that there are all the things I need there for doing that... but there are many free web hosting sites that work pretty good.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Photo Razor is totally awesome :) Thanks Musicman!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
There's also a "freebie" out there called Easy Thumbnails that allows you to cut your photo to any size you want, including avatar size.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've never had trouble uploading my pictures on another site, but every pic I've tried to upload here gets rejected and they are the same pictures. I know I'm not "savvy" about how to "cut" or "crop" or whatever you seem to have to do to get these to work on this site and to me it's not worth the effort to try and figure it all out so I probably won't renew my membership to this site when it comes time because it is so "limiting" as to posting pictures. I guess my point is, yes you may lose some 56K people by offering a better picture download capability but you are going to lose some high speed internet users because you don't allow better picture downloads too! Your choice but if you can't come up with a solution this site is going to lose members either way!

·
Registered
123 Posts
trying to attach pic

Rocky 1 (640x480) (640x480).jpg

Ok going to try and put this pic on here.:confused:
son of a gun, it worked.
I used the infraview program and got my 1.3mg pic's down to 640 and it worked but I had to crop it, then save it then was able to download it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've never had trouble uploading my pictures on another site, but every pic I've tried to upload here gets rejected and they are the same pictures. I know I'm not "savvy" about how to "cut" or "crop" or whatever you seem to have to do to get these to work on this site and to me it's not worth the effort to try and figure it all out so I probably won't renew my membership to this site when it comes time because it is so "limiting" as to posting pictures. I guess my point is, yes you may lose some 56K people by offering a better picture download capability but you are going to lose some high speed internet users because you don't allow better picture downloads too! Your choice but if you can't come up with a solution this site is going to lose members either way!
I too was getting frustrated trying to figure out how to post a large picture. Here is my easy solution - set up a free account at ePhotoBay.com. Upload your photos. Select an image by checking the box that says "Select" then click on "Get linking code for this image". Select and copy "Hotlinks for Forum" and paste the link into your post. The results look like this:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm curious..

What would be the reason for posting any pix larger than about 800x600 on a forum? Ego? (my picture is bigger than yours... ;)

That size has enough resolution to show mucho detail on the screen. If the intent is to print the image 8 1/2 x 11 or larger, higher resolution might be justified. How often is that the case? I just don't see the point in posting multi-meg images other than it avoids a little effort on the part of the poster.

Woody

1 - 20 of 23 Posts