Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many thanks to all of you for all the good info while I was researching my new bike. I pick it up in a few days. I have a couple questions concerning the belt tension and all the ugly stickers:

1. I don't have a 2012 service manual yet. What are the torques on the axle nuts and (what appears to be) and jam nuts on top of the alignment nuts? Do both sides of the axel get loosened or is one side part of the axel itself?? Other than this info, I understand the concept and procedure and I don't want to create a thread on belt tension. I will loosen it up a little and check it again at the break-in maintenance.

2. How do you get those damn stickers off without ruining the paint?

Thanks again, folks!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
did same as rusty

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Many thanks to all of you for all the good info while I was researching my new bike. I pick it up in a few days. I have a couple questions concerning the belt tension and all the ugly stickers:

1. I don't have a 2012 service manual yet. What are the torques on the axle nuts and (what appears to be) and jam nuts on top of the alignment nuts? Do both sides of the axel get loosened or is one side part of the axel itself?? Other than this info, I understand the concept and procedure and I don't want to create a thread on belt tension. I will loosen it up a little and check it again at the break-in maintenance. Thanks again, folks!!
Okay first of all you only have to loosen the one axle nut on the right-hand side. The other end of the axel is part of the axel. The torque value for the nut is 80 foot-pounds. If you're referring to the belt adjuster lock nuts, there is no torque value for that in my manual.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay first of all you only have to loosen the one axle nut on the right-hand side. The other end of the axel is part of the axel. The torque value for the nut is 80 foot-pounds. If you're referring to the belt adjuster lock nuts, there is no torque value for that in my manual.
Thank you!! I would assume from my days working with airplanes that snugging down a locknut on top of another is sufficient to hold them both together.

Thanks again for your post. Off to Home Depot to get a couple cotter keys!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not sure about the nut, but I used WD-40 and a hair dryer on my stickers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts