Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a 1600 Nomad tomorrow, keeping the 900 too.
I always tell my wife that love my 9 but sometimes more power and less revs would be great.
I hope this fixes both of them. ☺

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's a great fix for the 900's lacking power...enjoy it and let us know if you lose interest in the 900 once you are spoiled by the Nomad.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Nomad

I am sure that you will enjoy the Nomad vs the 900. I ride a V2K, and bought a 900 for my wife/kids/bros etc to ride. Bunch of my buddies have Dynas, Softails etc so I would grab the 900 when I was riding with them. Loved the bike but a little too small for a 300lb wide load... My brother bought a 1600 Nomad in Weyburn after running my 900 down to Sturgis and back. Every toy you can get for the Nomad is on that bike and it is a sweet ride.:D I still have the 900 but have "converted" it to a bar to bar bike, noisy pipe, BAK, solo saddle etc. Loads of fun for short runs but I still like the big bike for the long hauls. Lots of highway between Edson and Virden MB when I visit the folks... Lots and lots of flat thru Sask.:cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, it's quite a bit less revs on the highway, that's a definite bonus. Picked it up in Saskatoon today.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've never understood this whole "the 900 is underpowered" thing. I'm nearly 350 pounds and my 900 totes me along just fine. I do 75 - 80 on the interstate without even trying hard.

I guess, having come from a VN750, I just don't see what you guys are talking about.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've never understood this whole "the 900 is underpowered" thing. I'm nearly 350 pounds and my 900 totes me along just fine. I do 75 - 80 on the interstate without even trying hard.

I guess, having come from a VN750, I just don't see what you guys are talking about.
I think some just like the engine to be loping along at 2500 revs doing 80mph. I just put earplugs in and 4500rpm sounds like 2500. I have no trouble at all doing 80 2 up. Whiting tows a caravan behind his!

That being said I'd like a big tourer one day.

·
Registered
199 Posts

I don't feel the 900 is underpowered necessarily, (I'm also coming from a VN750), as I can hit 80 just fine with my girlfriend on the back. However, I'm definitely your stereotypical red-blooded American. I want things as big as I can get. I LOVE my 900, and there isn't anything that I want it to do that it can't, but I still plan to move up to a 1700cc range bike in a few years. As a friend of mine has described me, "I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46"

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't feel the 900 is underpowered necessarily, (I'm also coming from a VN750), as I can hit 80 just fine with my girlfriend on the back. However, I'm definitely your stereotypical red-blooded American. I want things as big as I can get. I LOVE my 900, and there isn't anything that I want it to do that it can't, but I still plan to move up to a 1700cc range bike in a few years. As a friend of mine has described me, "I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46"
When I was shopping for my current ride (2008 Kaw Vulcan 900 Classic LT), I thought about a 1700 or a 2000. However, they don't have quite as good a turning radius as the 900, and my favourite riding is twisty mountain roads. So, that's why I chose the 900. Haven't regretted it since.

Now...I wouldn't mind having a 1700 or 2000 for a nice long cross-country, long distance trip. But, that'll be in the future, and I'd want it as a 2nd bike. :cool:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Power hungry

Speaking from both ends of the spectrum here, having both the V2K and the 900C, (and a 1500C....), everyone should take a look at the riding they do on a regular basis, their skill and comfort level, and what they really want from a bike. I bought the V2K first, mostly because of the GVW capabilities over a similarly classed Harley and Yamaha (Star). Big guy, heavy 2 up, lots of luggage..... AND lots of LONG distance riding. I bought a 900C 4 years later so that my wife and kids could learn and ride with me. Not to say I haven't put lots of road miles on the 900 myself because the thing is a hoot to ride, super responsive and a good power to weight ratio. After my wife convinced me to put a trunk on the V2K, the 900 became a project bike for me and I still enjoy it. Would I trip across Canada on it, probably not. Could I ?,, Absolutely. I'd need a windshield, bags etc, but it would be fine. Our max legal speed here is under 70 mph and the roads aren't much good for more than that...:eek: After a year on the 900, my son felt he could handle a bigger bike more suited for long distance 2 up so we found a gently used 1500C. Does he still ride the 900? Absolutely. The 900 isn't a top selling bike because it is underpowered and buzzy, it is a top seller because of a good power to weight ratio, easy handling, good accessory packages available and really, really competitive pricing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had it for a few days now ,I really miss the maneuverability and lightness of the 900 so far.
It is going to take some seat time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have both a 900 and 1600 Classic. Love both of them. One for around town and the other for long hauls. Kepp thinking I should get rid of one, but I think if I ever do it might be the 1600. Big and heavy, wide turn radius. But it sure rides nice on the slabs. Having said that, I have ridden the 900 over 700 miles to Pittsburgh in one day so it ain't that bad. And I sure love the gas mileage it gets, even around town. That 1600 sounds so sexy with the V&H pipes though... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts