Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am one of those people that always has to work with their hands. If I don't have a bike project to work on, I will find one in just a few weeks. I tend to keep them for a season or two and then let them find a new home.

The 2006 Nomad and 1996 Vulcan 800 I got in a package deal, went for the Nomad but had to buy both of them as a package. When I was checking out the bikes, the good news was the Vulcan 800 turned over but would not fire. Was missing a fuel line to the carbs but the bike was clean for the age. Had good tires on it and well I had to take it with the sale.

The Nomad key turned on and lit up all the lights, but no fuel pump and it would not start. Thanks to this site I was able to check on the round relay and then the 15 Amp fuse under the seat.

There was much extra wiring for some LED lighting kit that was on the bike. It also had wiring for a air horn and a few other things. All those things were either removed or disconnected before I started to trouble shoot.

Once all the wiring was removed and the bike was more or less back to OEM, I started to trouble shoot. In my searching for things, I found a seeping gas leak! I guess this is a normal thing for these bikes? I will have to do some more reading on that issue. Seems to be coming from a very nice weld on the tail of the tank as it meets the seat, seems I have read other have the same issue.

Tested the round relay by the coolant tank, all was good there. Found the little hiding place for the 15 amp under the seat and yep, it was blown. Put a new one in and turned the key, wonderful sound of the fuel pump pressurizing, I was so happy. Hit the starter after putting on the choke as it is still freezing in my area and not too warm in the shed. Bike fired right up and sounds really good with the Cobra pipes on it.

I will get some pics loaded to the cloud so I can post some pics here. Really looking forward to having my first real cruiser bike. I am more of a standard sports bike kinda guy, but really hope I enjoy some lone days on the Nomad.

Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From the little reading I have done, looks like there are a few tank leak fixes. One is to let the local deal know and see what they have to say. I did put the vin number in of my bike and there are no recalls on it.

The other good option is to solder or braise the area of the leak. I guess that will be a long time fix and the one I will do if I don't hear from my Kawasaki dealer.

Great info on the site, will keep reading and looking over new mods for the bike.馃憤

Registered
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
Are you going to restore the 800 too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes I will be restoring both bikes, just a good way to keep my busy in the winter months.

The 800
tank is not ready to have the Evapo-rust added too it. It will have to sit for about a week to dissolved all the rust in the tank. I noticed that the petcock fuel outlet is huge compared to other in-line 4 bikes I have worked on. I will be putting a non vacuum petcock on the bike so that it can be manually shot off each time the bike is turned off.

So far the only issues I found the the 800 were the front brake caliber and the rear cylinder spark plug wire. Seems the PO made their own wire for the rear cylinder and it was not making spark. "A" for effort if it was a road side repair, but once the bike was back home needed a real wire with good insulation on it. Made a new one up and after cleaning the carb and getting that bugger back on, the bike more or less started right up. I had to hold my hand over the intake of the carb to get a little more fuel going and then it started. Have no idea how long it has been sitting but the carb was very clean so maybe a yr?

Removed the front caliber and cleaned up the seals and polished the puck. A little pitting but not bad on the puck, can tell it was parked outside in the elements for some time. Fluid in the brake system was good but is all new and been flushed. Will have to get brake pads for the front and I am sure the rear. The brake are adjuster for the shoes in the back seems to be screwed in a long ways. Bike is on the table so I have not pulled any wheels off yet.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mXaCBS]267940371_6840016422706892_195435006813484783_n by Tim Brown, on Flickr[/URL]

The 1600,
Looks like I was unlucky enough to have found one of the 2006 's that has a seeping gas tank by the bottom tank mount. Just got a return call from the local Kaw dealer and my VIN is not in the recall database for this, so on my own. For now it was a victory to just find the power issue in the 15 amp fuse and have the bike running so well. More or less a blind buy and kinda feel lucky it is not a lemon.

The bike really needs a front tire. The extra wiring with all the added stuff was not done so well. All if it came off and it I want to keep anything that came with the bike it will be installed differently

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mXcp6T]267156662_6523443477726586_6760133300616103479_n by Tim Brown, on Flickr[/URL]

Registered
Hi Tim,
  • Would have been nice to see a pic of the spaghetti menagerie of wires so people can see how NOT to install their accessories.
  • Actually any before and after pics to share would be nice. There may be a board or thread here to add them to.
  • If not we should generate one where people can add Y/M/M and the pic.
  • Good wrenching.
  • A tank cream may stop the leak at the back. Are the front and rear dampers installed and in good shape? May consider grinding a little off the rear damper collars to secure the rear of the tank a bit more.

Registered
2012 Nomad
I had those LED lights on a Yamaha 950.
First time I looked under the seat it looked like a snake pit of wires.
Took half hour to sort it all out and jerk it all out.

Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Registered
I don't know if it's the lighting or what but that tank looks to have fresh braze weld on it already.
The leak looks to be above the the tank halve seam. Maybe a rusty hole working through from the interior.
It may be necessary to grind/sand away some of the paint at that spot and see what's underneath.

Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree...when the temps are not so cold I will get back there and get started on it. So that braze under the tank is not normal than? I guess that is good and maybe bad...

More searching to see what is up with that tank. The inside looks really good, not rust in sight. Can't be said for the 800 tank...nasty.

Registered
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
I agree...when the temps are not so cold I will get back there and get started on it. So that braze under the tank is not normal than? I guess that is good and maybe bad...

More searching to see what is up with that tank. The inside looks really good, not rust in sight. Can't be said for the 800 tank...nasty.
That area of the tank is also covered in paint from the factory. It looks like someone tried to correct the leak issue previously and may have created a stress crack under the painted surface above it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tank is 3/4 full right now. I have the top and bottom bolts out of it now. I still have the top gauge and fuel pump wires on. I will have to take the huge tank off and take a better look. I might just take the pump wires off and carefully prop up the rear of the tank and get a better look.

3 1/2 gallon of Evapo Rust in the 800 tank. Let her set for a good week and let it do the work for me. Love that stuff.

Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@MotoMedic1, same with me so far. Looks like the factory weld on the left side is giving the seeping issue. I plan on warming the tank up, doing a little prep work to ruff up the area. Hit with some JB Steel tank sealer and hope that does it.
It is just a small seep too, but anything to do with gas coming out is a bad thing.

I read that thread, seems people drain their tanks before working on them....Don't do that...liquid gas will not go boom, gas vapors will though. If you ever have to do work on pin holes, rusted through or damaged tank. Make sure you flush it and or fill it with water to work on it. Bad things happen with gas vapors.

Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did some grinding on it and then mixed the heck out of the JB Steel stick. Used a small flat tip and forced it all over the weld in that area. If this does not work, I will try the other more liquid JB weld and do it in layers like the other link suggested.

Have to let it dry for a good 24 Hrs

Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steel stick didn't do the trick. I think it was not liquid enough to get into the small holes left int he braze. I removed the material over the braze and then mixed up some two part JB epoxy with a heat gun. This made it more liquid. I also headed the tank with the heat gun as well to bring it up to a good temp. I added the JB epoxy to the area and once again hit it with the hot air to make it seep into the braze.

Are temps are dropping back down again, will let it sit for a few days and then check to see if it is fixed. If not the next step will be some hand soldering if I can find a bit enough heat iron.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mY64NA]271772744_692344205472525_8955869535106798095_n by Tim Brown, on Flickr[/URL]

Registered
2006 1600 Nomad
Hi all, I am one of those people that always has to work with their hands. If I don't have a bike project to work on, I will find one in just a few weeks. I tend to keep them for a season or two and then let them find a new home.

The 2006 Nomad and 1996 Vulcan 800 I got in a package deal, went for the Nomad but had to buy both of them as a package. When I was checking out the bikes, the good news was the Vulcan 800 turned over but would not fire. Was missing a fuel line to the carbs but the bike was clean for the age. Had good tires on it and well I had to take it with the sale.

The Nomad key turned on and lit up all the lights, but no fuel pump and it would not start. Thanks to this site I was able to check on the round relay and then the 15 Amp fuse under the seat.

There was much extra wiring for some LED lighting kit that was on the bike. It also had wiring for a air horn and a few other things. All those things were either removed or disconnected before I started to trouble shoot.

Once all the wiring was removed and the bike was more or less back to OEM, I started to trouble shoot. In my searching for things, I found a seeping gas leak! I guess this is a normal thing for these bikes? I will have to do some more reading on that issue. Seems to be coming from a very nice weld on the tail of the tank as it meets the seat, seems I have read other have the same issue.

Tested the round relay by the coolant tank, all was good there. Found the little hiding place for the 15 amp under the seat and yep, it was blown. Put a new one in and turned the key, wonderful sound of the fuel pump pressurizing, I was so happy. Hit the starter after putting on the choke as it is still freezing in my area and not too warm in the shed. Bike fired right up and sounds really good with the Cobra pipes on it.

I will get some pics loaded to the cloud so I can post some pics here. Really looking forward to having my first real cruiser bike. I am more of a standard sports bike kinda guy, but really hope I enjoy some lone days on the Nomad.
Pics:
Fuse that was blown.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mX89PN]Wiring_LI by Tim Brown, on Flickr[/URL]
Pulled left side cover:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mXd1uv]Wiring mess_LI by Tim Brown, on Flickr[/URL]
How long LED harness was:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mXdAew]Lenght of kit_LI by Tim Brown, on Flickr[/URL]
Possible gas leak?
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mXgGjy]Fuel_LI by Tim Brown, on Flickr[/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mX8aac]Fuel 2_LI by Tim Brown, on Flickr[/URL]
I had the same problem with my 06 Nomad and Kawasaki said it was to old to do anything about it but offered to sell me a new tank for $1300.00. Well that wasn't happening so I took the tank off and bought some JB Weld. First thing you have to do is make sure your tank is empty, then use a fine sandpaper to sand it down all around that weld, ( I went a little further) then mix the JB Weld in small batches and apply with a cheap paint brush in thin layers. Wait until each layer dries before adding another coat, you may need more than 1 brush, until you have about 4 layers on it and VIOLA all fixed for about $10.00 and some patience. Did it the beginning of this season and it's been holding up fine so far.

Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@topwop,
Thanks for the post, I did a search and found your thread and read threw it. Looks like that is what I will have to do. Started the first coat the other day. Will do another soon. Just picked up new JB weld as I had some old stuff, just in case.

Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like the two part JB weld held fine. Had it sitting in normal position to check to see if the gas would seep...it did not. So, I will still put a few more coats on that spot just to make sure it holds well. Will over cover the area a little each time for added strength.

I would guess KAW knows about all those tanks and just wants to save the $$ and say they are out of date for a safety recall. That and maybe none of the new tanks will fit on the older ones? Either way as long as the bike does not burst into flames while I am riding her, we are good.

Registered
2006 1600 Nomad
Glad it worked out for you. Mines away for the winter but haven't noticed any leaks since I fixed it last spring馃榿.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts