Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fello VN900 riders,

Yesterday on my way from Capitola to San Jose, Ca on Hwy 17 I picked up a nail. I noticed it as the handlebar started to feel more and more heave when tilting the handlebars. I pulled over, asked my wife to get off, to take a look.

At first I thought it was my wife counter balancing on the curves. The handlebars just seemed unusually heavy and I seriously thought something was in the way.

So my question is, do you have to replace the tire, or can you just plug it and pump it. I don't even know if there's a difference when the tire has an inner tube. I appreciate your wise reccomendations.

Regards,
chalomalo

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Custom or Classic? If it's a tubed (Classic) tire, you can just replace the tube & not the tire. If it's a Custom (tubeless), you can most likely get away with having it fixed, as long as it wasn't a big honkin' gutter nail. Or a sidewall puncture-those don't patch well.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Inner tube you have to patch the tube and the tire. If tubeless then yes you can just plug it and worry free.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine's a Classic LT, oh and to make matters worse, I had to wait 2 hours for the tow truck for the road side assistance.

Well I thank you both for sharing your knowlege. Ciao

Regards,
chalomalo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just picked up another nail. It hasn't even been a month. I must have the worst motorcycle rider's luck. At the rate I'm going, I should just invest in a stand and all the required gear to fix my tires when they go flat.

These spoke rims have to go. They make it so much more expensive and difficult to work with.

Any advise from the more seasoned riders?

regards,
chalomalo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not much you can do other than a) swap wheels (expensive), b) seal your rims (not sure I would trust sealed spokes), c) carry spare tubes/tools or d) understand that if you get a flat, you're calling someone with a trailer.

When I bought my current bike, I bought a custom and my the deciding factor was the spoked wheels. I am willing to spend extra to buy bags and a shield to turn it into an LT if it means no spoke maintenance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts