Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:

I had my first motorcycle scare yesterday. Was on my way home from work and was riding behind a bus. Figured the driver would not be able to see me at all so it would probably be safer for me to go around him and get in front.

The cars in the left lane were moving faster than me - no problem there. I waited until there was a break in traffic, put my signal on, checked my mirror, (the car in the left lane was far enough back -could of probably fitted a Mac truck in the space), so I started to excelerate and move into the left lane. At the same time the cars ahead of me (in the left lane) breaked quickly.

You can imagine what happened next. I have practiced emergency braking but have never really had to do it. Braked quickly and unfortunately locked my rear brakes. You all know what happened next! Yep, I started to fishtail. Eased off the brakes a bit (still had to stop before hitting the car in front of me), shifted my weight with the bike (I'm amazed at how automatic my reaction was) and managed to get the bike stopped with me still on it. Luckily I wasn't going so fast that I was unable to control the bike.

My heart was pounding a mile a minute as I'm sure were the drivers around me.

I'm only 5'2" and have had people comment that the bike is quite large for my size. But I've got to say that I've always liked the 900 for how stable it is - this just confirmed it more. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad to Hear You're Safe

and kept the shiny side up. Luckily these incidents are rare, but just reinforce the fact that we all need to keep in practice on our emergency moves. You've motivated me - thanks for the post.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Glad to hear you saved it, Gail.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my first indication that I was in trouble was the huge screetch coming from the back tire! Went out for a nice long ride today - no incidents but I was more alert on what was happening around me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts