Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to drain the fuel tank on my 2007 500, and I can't move the petcock switch to the Prime position. It sits too close to the lower rim of the fuel tank, and it's blocked from turning all the way up to Prime. If I try to force it, a little gas leaks out of the center of the switch. I'm planning to order a new petcock, because they're cheap, but it won't matter if it sits the same way. Is there a gasket missing or something? On the reviews on Amazon for the petcock part, another guy had the same problem, and he said he had to cut the edge of the switch down to make it work. I'd like to avoid doing this, so there must be another solution. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I've ordered an extra petcock - they're way cheap online - just to have it, and I'll most likely switch it out when it gets here regardless. Meanwhile, I went ahead and took a grinder to the petcock switch, and now it works just fine. I haven't put gas back in it to make sure the switch itself works properly (the bike wasn't running before, and since it wouldn't move to Prime, I had no idea whether or not the switch worked to begin with), but I intend to do so tomorrow and continue the process of elimination.

I'm still VERY curious to know if anyone else has had this issue with the OEM petcock. I looked closely at the photo in the owner's manual, and at first I thought maybe it had an after-market one that didn't fit right, but it looks like it moves almost the exact same way - the positions are labeled differently; Prime it in the middle, and Reserve is up under the tank, but otherwise it seems to move the same way. I did see some photos online where the switch moved perfectly fine under the tank rim, so maybe it's just my tank, and the original holes were drilled in the wrong place. When I was shopping for petcocks on Amazon, I saw a review that said it fit wrong as I described, so maybe it actually IS an aftermarket part. I don't know. We'll see what happens tomorrow, and then when the second part gets here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts