Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt my petcock and it still leaked on reserve.Fed up I looked around to see if there was a replacement.Nobody knew of any.
This is also a very common problem on the Suzuki Savage.And their fix is a Yamamha Raptor 660 petcock.It's a manual valve with no vacuum. On/off/reserve.
I wanted to ride so I pulled one off of one of my Savages and tried it on the 800 and it works.
The only thing I can see visually is it might get a little less mileage in the on position and a little more on reserve.Seems like the Raptor on tube is just slightly taller.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
This is one of those things that's a 50/50 shot on the rebuild. Some it works for and some it dont. Many have gone to a full manual petcock, just remember to turn it off when stopped for any length of time and then turn back on. This is something I would likely forget to do.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice to know it worked for you. My last bike had a manual petcock and my problem was always remembering to turn it back on, not so much off. I'd get to the end of the street and it'd start stumbling. Oops - glad I wasn't on the highway yet! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm used to it with the Suzukis and my Harley.I would have rather the rebuild would have worked.I've read on here about the K&L kits.Seems like not many are successful.Like Rick said 50/50 shot I guess.

I looked on here trying to find a replacement.Didn't have any luck.So I figured I would at least post this so there was an answer/option for replacing the original.

·
Registered
1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 800A
74 Posts
I got the Raptor petcock but I noticed a big difference in the size of hose barb from the stock to Raptor petcocks and carb. How did you get around this?

·
Super Moderator
2,690 Posts
Hi Whiskeymoto. This thread is over five years old. It is easy to miss the original posting date. Don’t know if you will get a response. Suggest starting a fresh post in the 800 Model Section so fellow 800 members can help out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts