Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine stated leaking recently so I have taken it completely out and today ordered a kit off ebay to repair it. While packing it away until parts arrive I noticed a green residue coming out of the hole in the side of the valve, it looks like crumbled chalk. I think it is coming from inside the screen that goes into the tank and would have a straight shot into the carb. I can see a little green tube or something inside the screen and the screen looks like its made into the petcock, I would not want to replace it without taking care of this. Has anyone experienced this or know a way to replace it without buying a new petcock? Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I kept bumping the petcock until the crumbly green stuff basically stopped and have ordered a filter for the line. I took the back cover off and the little silver plate on top of the gasket is very fragile, how do I get it off? I tried gently pulling on it and it won't budge, any ideas? thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't that part of the vacuum diaphragm ?
Yes, I tried to locate a you tube video and the ones I watched were all different. I tried pulling on it with a small pair of pliers but it wouldn't budge, so I decided to stop until I could get good info.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Those fuel taps are one of the items that it is more cost effective to just replace the whole unit than fool around with them.
The rebuilds are hit and miss, with more misses being the norm.
Most folks just replace and be done with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those fuel taps are one of the items that it is more cost effective to just replace the whole unit than fool around with them.
The rebuilds are hit and miss, with more misses being the norm.
Most folks just replace and be done with it.
I just tugged on it and it popped out, since I have ordered the kit I will give it a try, if it fails will order a new one. thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
I see you got it out now, but just for the record...

When things are stuck on your bike, I've learned 2 ways to fix it.

If it's metal on metal (no rubber/plastic/vinyl/leather nearby) WD-40 is your pal.

If there is anything involved that is not metal or is ultra delicate and you're worried about WD-40 being too abrasive, go grab a bowl from the kitchen, dump a few tablespoons of dish soap in it, and fill it up with the hottest water you can stand. Grab a rag and start with some gentle soaking. Get firmer from there, but take your time.

The soap acts as lubricant and the heat is a natural method of cleaning off grime.

Good luck with your petcock. While it's out of your tank, see if you can wipe around the inside of the tank with a towel and check for really bad residue. Wouldn't do to reassemble everything and find out later that the cause is coming from the tank.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see you got it out now, but just for the record...

When things are stuck on your bike, I've learned 2 ways to fix it.

If it's metal on metal (no rubber/plastic/vinyl/leather nearby) WD-40 is your pal.

If there is anything involved that is not metal or is ultra delicate and you're worried about WD-40 being too abrasive, go grab a bowl from the kitchen, dump a few tablespoons of dish soap in it, and fill it up with the hottest water you can stand. Grab a rag and start with some gentle soaking. Get firmer from there, but take your time.

The soap acts as lubricant and the heat is a natural method of cleaning off grime.

Good luck with your petcock. While it's out of your tank, see if you can wipe around the inside of the tank with a towel and check for really bad residue. Wouldn't do to reassemble everything and find out later that the cause is coming from the tank.
Well received the new petcock kit today from ebay, added an inline filter and put the kit in in less than thirty minutes, then went to get straight gas so I am happy. :laugh2:

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts