394 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
I carry either/or, not both.
No self-respecting LEO that I know would ever leave the house without a BUG. There's a good reason for that, one with which I happen to agree.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Envious

Ah, sweet smell of cordite! Unfortunately, when I moved back here from Texas I had to give up the "right" to carry. Don't think it will ever change north of the border either. My defense weapon of choice now is a TRG-42 in .338 Lapua, but it is kind of hard to strap on:D Club to club restricted transfers have to be made in locked box, and locked action, and locked ammo...you get the picture:mad: Now I have to rely on being big and ugly:cool:

·
Registered
394 Posts
So, since I can get a CCW for Florida just by mailing in the application, does that mean I would be able to carry in NJ should the law pass?
The short answer is, unfortunately, no.

The text of the bill can be found HERE.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The short answer is, unfortunately, no.

The text of the bill can be found HERE.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of... Reciprocity only applies to non-residents of any given state. So, every non-resident passing through or visiting with a CCW from any other state would be legal, but not us residents....sad.

·
Banned
593 Posts
Exactly. .... and in my 40 years of riding in 3 different countries, i have had enough brains not to find trouble as well.
I was robbed at gunpoint in my own car one. Sometimes, trouble finds you. If I had been carrying that day, then the chick that pulled that gun on me wonder be where she should be right now - dead.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
or you would be dead because she shot first.....im just glad us squeemish folk from up north dont need to carry to be safe or to give oneself the illusion of being safe

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Here's where it gets ugly...

I'm just glad that us Southerners (at least most of us) can, if we choose, exercise our Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, with no justification needed.

·
Banned
593 Posts
or you would be dead because she shot first.....im just glad us squeemish folk from up north dont need to carry to be safe or to give oneself the illusion of being safe
That's a chance that would be willing to take. Either way, I'd rather have that choice to make for myself. Besides, I'm a former Marine infantryman with years of experience sive weapons training. She was a crackhead. I'd bet on Lloyd. :p

·
Registered
399 Posts
Enjoy the illusion ;)

·
Registered
394 Posts
This may come as news to you, but in the U.S., criminals really don't much care about restrictive gun laws (or any other) and are pretty much going to do what they want do until apprehended or otherwise discouraged from their illegal, injurious, sometimes deadly, behavior. Perhaps you Canucks have a more sophisticated, respectful, and law-abiding brand of criminal. If so, power to you, but I would challenge you as to which of us is living under an illusion of safety. So far, my personal method has proven to be 100% effective.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Just the kind of response I would expect from one of our squeamish northern neighbors
not at all, i have owned several weapons over the years since i was of legal age to do so.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here's where it gets ugly...

I'm just glad that us Southerners (at least most of us) can, if we choose, exercise our Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, with no justification needed.
I doubt those in NYC (50 or so miles away from me) subscribe to any illusion of safety. My illusion is a lot stronger since I live in the farmlands of western NJ, but it's still just an illusion even here.

It's amazing to me, having lived both in NJ and VA, how different the perceptions are with regards to firearms. Whether in NoVA, Norfolk, or Blacksburg, it was just accepted. Lots of people had guns...shotguns, handguns, whatever. Lots of people also hunted. It wasn't anything special.

Here in Jersey, people are almost ashamed to admit if they own a gun. The hunting here in hunterdon county is fantastic! No one hunts here. The deer are overrunning the state. I drive 25 miles each way to work, and for much of the year I can expect to see 2 or 3 new, road-killed deer each day. They keep expanding the deer season here in hopes of limiting the population, but there are just not enough hunters. More venison for me ;)

Here's another funny one in NJ. I live in a small town, and I'm not allowed to fire hollow points in self defense. Apparently, they'd rather I fire straight ammo in hopes that it goes through the intruder, my walls, my neighbors walls, and rattle around in their home for bit... All this because hollow point is more likely to be fatal to a victim. Here's a clue. If I have to fire a gun to protect my home, I'm TRYING to kill the intruder. Who'd a thunk it?

But honestly, I doubt I'd ever have to fire a round in self defense. All you have to do is chamber a round in a 12 gauge. That sound echoes through the whole house, and there's no mistaking it. Anyone in the house will be picking the nearest door or window to escape....believe it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
change is the name of thier game. They change the rules and you get to pay for it.
Cleaning house more than jus WH, senate n reps all need the boot for good!
One term only for life, till we do this is jus a breeding pool for career criminals.
I concur. One term, and no pension.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Here is the inherent difference. Us "squeamish" Northerners would rather be robbed than kill. What's a couple of dollars compared to a human life.....some things just aren't worth killing over....well, nuff said.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here is the inherent difference. Us "squeamish" Northerners would rather be robbed than kill. What's a couple of dollars compared to a human life.....some things just aren't worth killing over....well, nuff said.
Who ever said they won't kill you after they rob you? From everything I read, that happens quite a bit, whether or not you give them your money, watch, etc...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
That opinion is peachy and very logical; if you live to tell about it.

Unfortunately, by the time you know for sure one way or another it's too late to change the outcome. Maybe you want to roll the dice of your life into the hands of a "nice" criminal, but I don't.

21 - 40 of 163 Posts