Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what/if any weapons y'all carry while on you/your bikes. I'm almost always armed, and that includes while I'm on my bike. You just never know when a situation might go the way that you need to defend yourself or someone else.

I have a Glock 26 carried either in my jacket or on my hip. I also use these pretty cool Under Armor-like shirts that have a holster sewn in to the rib cage of a shirt, so you don't have to wear the leather shoulder holster, and can wear a nice button-down shirt. I know you can find them at 5.11 on-line and different sporting goods/outdoor outfitters.

I've also carried a Kel Tec 3AT in my pocket. I don't know why I put it in my pocket, if I ever were to need it, I'd have had to take my gloves off first to get to it.

I've seen Smith & Wesson 3913s and 619s open carried. A few rallies I've been to have had Glocks and Rugers open carried. I guess I can really only visually report on the open-carry, as the purpose of carrying concealed is just that, concealment.

Obviously, carrying while riding offers pros and cons of all kinds. What experiences have you had while carrying?

I'd rather not have this turn into a debate on whether or not you should carry, or anything like that. If you choose not to carry a personal defense weapon, that's fine.

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
my S&W Bodyguard .380 fits perfect in the inside pocket of my riding jacket. When not on the bike I have a wallet holster for it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My G27 and my P-3AT don't shower with me, but that's about the only place they don't accompany me. I have various IWB, OWB, and pocket holsters for both.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Ruger LCP. Started with LC9 but wanted something smaller yet.

In my several years of driving I have never encountered a situation where I felt use of any weapon was imminent.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
In my several years of driving I have never encountered a situation where I felt use of any weapon was imminent.
I have deleted a portion of this message as the OP has PM'd me expressing that he was personally offended. I take the point.

Having driven in all 48 states from NYC to LA, Compton to Hunts Point i have been in the worst "Burbs" at all hours of the day.

Never once has i ever felt that my life or safety has been in danger.

I just question why that somebody riding down the road would.

I will leave it at that. If others got offended, my apologies to those as well.

Maurice

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some one carrying 2 pieces is more likely to shoot both their own 2 feet vs one of them
I carry either/or, not both. Sorry my wording wasn't clear before.

Also, let's try to refrain from childish insults.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sig P226 here but you can't carry, concealed or otherwise, in NJ. I doubt I'd carry anyway, but I'd prefer to have the option.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Springfield XD 9 Subcompact on my hip.
Love the Springfields. The next time I'm willing to go through the 3 month, 2 personal recommendation needing, constant follow-up requiring, hellish, onerous, handgun application process here in NJ, I'll pick up an XDM.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Interestingly, if I lived 20 miles west in PA, I could buy one same day...and have a ccw.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Same here, but it sure is a comforting feeling knowing you have it if you need it, isn't it?

I carry for a number of reasons, some of which are:

1. The Second Amendment to our great U.S. Constitution enumerates (but does not grant) my unalienable right to do so.

2. I am ever-mindful of the old adage, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

3. Cops, even small ones, won't fit in my pocket and are too heavy too carry around all the time anyway.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Same here, but it sure is a comforting feeling knowing you have it if you need it, isn't it?

3. Cops, even small ones, won't fit in my pocket and are too heavy too carry around all the time anyway.
Even with a backpack, they're just too tough to tote around...

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I'm in the Coast Guard, and am hoping to not ever get stationed in New Jersey for that reason. Differing state laws regarding CCWs and reciprocity with one another makes it at least a little difficult to ride from state to state while carrying. I'm making a road trip from Phoenix to Seattle along the PCH in July, and that means I have to deal with California. Even with WA and AZ CCWs, I still can't carry at all in CA.

Of course I'll follow the laws, but sometimes they can be a real pain.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Exactly. .... and in my 40 years of riding in 3the different countries, i have had enough brains not to find trouble as well.
Some one carrying 2 pieces is more likely to shoot both their own 2 feet vs one of them
Not this particular someone. I've owned guns for about as long as I've been riding, both in the multiple decades, and I have never come close to shooting anything that I didn't intend to shoot.

.the OP is the perfect reason why condoms were invented.
:cool: ....... give your head a shake.
Bring it on ....
Just the kind of response I would expect from one of our squeamish northern neighbors. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeah, I'm in the Coast Guard, and am hoping to not ever get stationed in New Jersey for that reason. Differing state laws regarding CCWs and reciprocity with one another makes it at least a little difficult to ride from state to state while carrying. I'm making a road trip from Phoenix to Seattle along the PCH in July, and that means I have to deal with California. Even with WA and AZ CCWs, I still can't carry at all in CA.

Of course I'll follow the laws, but sometimes they can be a real pain.
When I go to the range, my gun must be unloaded in a locked container, situated in the car such that it cannot be accessed by the driver. Ammunition must be in another container (can't remember if it also needs to be locked, but I do, just 'cause). I may not stop on the way to the range unless it's an emergency. I may not stop on the way home from the range unless it's an emergency. I've been told that stopping for gas because I didn't plan ahead, does not constitute an emergency, though I have my doubts about this one. If I am pulled over, for whatever reason, I must notify the officer that I have a firearm in the car and submit to a complete inspection. God help you if you fail in following the letter of the law on this one...

1 - 20 of 163 Posts