Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to increase power but not noise. I am considering getting my ECU remapped with Ivan's new map. I have a Cobra power flow intake installed so the other step needed is to reduce exhaust restriction.

I don't want the bike to be loud (I am Ok with stock sound) so my question is this.

Is there any power increase difference between a stage 1,2 and 3 debaffle. If yes is it significant?

I am hoping to get all or at least most of the power increase from a stage 1 debaffle.

WB

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Is there any power increase difference between a stage 1,2 and 3 debaffle. If yes is it significant?

i hope you are looking forward to the reduction in HP. from around 43 hp at the rear wheel to around 37 hp at the rear wheel from the before de baffle and after dyno map that was posted on here last year.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hope you are looking forward to the reduction in HP. from around 43 hp at the rear wheel to around 37 hp at the rear wheel from the before de baffle and after dyno map that was posted on here last year.
Whitings 57,

Are you saying the only way to increase power is with a 3rd party exhaust?

I thought the Big three was reduce restriction of intake, exhaust and add a fuel processor so the bike does not run too lean.

WB

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to Ivan at Ivan's performance products. He has been doing performance modifications for over 30 years and has great reviews for his products.

Here is the bottom line regarding exhaust with Ivan's new ECU map. If you debaffle you will get an increase in power in the upper rev range like above 5,000 rpm. The increase in power from debaffle will be modest i.e. 1-2 HP.

You can get a pretty good bump in HP with an open type air box like my Cobra Power Flo and the Ivan mod with stock exhaust, so this is the route I may go. If debaffle a little more power as noted above.

To get big HP gains you need to go with the new ECU map an open air box and a 3rd party exhaust, like Cobra power port Duals. The big difference with these pipes is that they have a much larger diameter pipe off of the header and very little restriction. The downside (for me) is that they are VERY LOUD.

Ivan went on to explain some of the difference with his mapping vs a generic fuel processor add on, which that along with the glowing reviews of his product has convinced me that his map is a better option than a generic add on fuel processor.

Last point to note is Ivan has different maps depending on your bike set up i.e. all stock, air box, exhaust, air box and exhaust. If you have debaffled exhaust this would be treated as stock exhaust (due to smaller pipe off the header etc.). Need to be sure and fill out the form according ly when you send in your ECU for remapping.

WB

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Whitings 57,

Are you saying the only way to increase power is with a 3rd party exhaust?

I thought the Big three was reduce restriction of intake, exhaust and add a fuel processor so the bike does not run too lean.

WB
what I am saying is what I saw on the before and after dyno print out .... do a search on here for the dyno report ... try debaffle dyno report. I have seen results , dyno reports showin from 43 hp at the rear wheel to to 61.5 hp with the big 3 ... but it sure wasn't from a stock debaffled pipe.

I ran the big 3 on my custom and got a huge jump in hp, but it was with aftermarket pipes, a hypercharger and an cobra auto tune fuel processor.

there is no cheap way to get HP, speed costs money, its just a matter of how much do you have and how fast do you want to go.

·
Registered
50 Posts
what I am saying is what I saw on the before and after dyno print out .... do a search on here for the dyno report ... try debaffle dyno report. I have seen results , dyno reports showin from 43 hp at the rear wheel to to 61.5 hp with the big 3 ... but it sure wasn't from a stock debaffled pipe.

I ran the big 3 on my custom and got a huge jump in hp, but it was with aftermarket pipes, a hypercharger and an cobra auto tune fuel processor.

there is no cheap way to get HP, speed costs money, its just a matter of how much do you have and how fast do you want to go.
Bingo.........:devil2:

Have a quick question for you guys on something hope its ok but you guys are on something i'm new to. . Have the 07 1600 with Vance and Hines long tubes on it . They were on it when I bought it.

I'm into speed on the track and water but just getting into these cruisers. Ordered a power commander and having a bike Dyno shop in Virginia Beach install it and see what they can do with it. What I was interested in was more torque and response not the top end speed.
What research I have done on it the power commander 3 is all they offer they have a commander 5 but nothing I seen said the newer ones will work and the dealer said 2 to 15 hp 10% in power . I ask about the tune shop said I would have to pay about 200 to have the computer flashed then their tune said they thought i'd be better with the commander or about as good. What is you guys take on this or does this Ives but a turn work better than the commander.
Thanks.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I talked to Ivan at Ivan's performance products. He has been doing performance modifications for over 30 years and has great reviews for his products.

Here is the bottom line regarding exhaust with Ivan's new ECU map. If you debaffle you will get an increase in power in the upper rev range like above 5,000 rpm. The increase in power from debaffle will be modest i.e. 1-2 HP.

You can get a pretty good bump in HP with an open type air box like my Cobra Power Flo and the Ivan mod with stock exhaust, so this is the route I may go. If debaffle a little more power as noted above.

To get big HP gains you need to go with the new ECU map an open air box and a 3rd party exhaust, like Cobra power port Duals. The big difference with these pipes is that they have a much larger diameter pipe off of the header and very little restriction. The downside (for me) is that they are VERY LOUD.

Ivan went on to explain some of the difference with his mapping vs a generic fuel processor add on, which that along with the glowing reviews of his product has convinced me that his map is a better option than a generic add on fuel processor.

Last point to note is Ivan has different maps depending on your bike set up i.e. all stock, air box, exhaust, air box and exhaust. If you have debaffled exhaust this would be treated as stock exhaust (due to smaller pipe off the header etc.). Need to be sure and fill out the form according ly when you send in your ECU for remapping.

WB
What gets me about Ivan's mod is the price. For about $150 or more less, you can get the fuel processor and your bike won't be down for very long. $350 seems quite steep considering the minor gains and longer duration your bike would be down. If the gains were much more than a few HP, I'd pay the $350.

On my 900, I'm running stock air box with K&N filter and Baron's Hack N' Slash slip-ons. No fuel processor and the bike runs fine. I do get a bit of decel pop, but it's not bad. Sometimes it can be and it sounds like a gun firing off. But overall, I'm pleased with the setup.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What gets me about Ivan's mod is the price. For about $150 or more less, you can get the fuel processor and your bike won't be down for very long. $350 seems quite steep considering the minor gains and longer duration your bike would be down. If the gains were much more than a few HP, I'd pay the $350.
Why not consider buying an ECU on ebay to run while your's is getting mapped. Then sell it when you get your ECU back? You could probably sell it easily to a member on here looking to do the same thing. Dunno if that would work for you but maybe worth considering if downtime is the only thing holding you back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts