Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a buddy of mine at the job mentioned the possibility of adding a performance chip to me. He sent me the link and everything. It got me wondering if i should or not. does anyone know anything about these?

heres the link he sent me.

Not that i need anymore power, but i must admit that i am intrigued. It is not something that i would do immediately, but i am curious.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Your bike doesn't have oxygen sensors. So there's no way this would wire up!

These things are always on eBay and they are nothing more than some wires and resistors. The one you're looking at is fancy because it has some sort of variable resistor with a screw adjust; but it's still just $3 worth of parts from radio shack, some sort of fitting they found, and some sort of epoxy to throw it all together. They 'trick' the airflow, exhaust, etc., sensors into reporting incorrect info in order to get the car/bike to run 'differently', usually by making it run a little richer. It's not worth the money, IMO.

Now, if you want a 'chip', you need a fuel processor. Something that is adjustable, computer controlled, and will actually adjust the air/fuel mixture on your bike. A common one would be the "Power Commander III".

The difference would be, it's not 'tricking' the sensors, but rather adjusting the air/fuel mixture at various sensor positions, meaning more reliable power.

In order to really open up the performance on these bikes though, you need to do 'the big three'. (Intake/exhaust/fuel) Doing one or two but not the third will result in only small gains, and potential problems. Doing intake and exhaust but not fuel can cause all sorts of issues AND won't gain you any real power because; although you have a lot more air, there's no extra fuel to go with it. Doing intake alone or intake and a fuel processor won't do much either, because it can't 'fit' more air in when there's a restrictive exhaust not letting it out! (Like trying to exhale through a straw, but you only have a split second to exhale then you inhale again, so you're really not inhaling any more air!)

But when you change out the pipes, air intake, AND add a good fuel processor- you can get some pretty good results. ESPECIALLY if you take it and put it on a dyno and have it dialed in (every bike is different. You can download 'maps' for the fuel processor but it's only a ballpark)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. Thanks for the info. Maybe down the road I will give it some thought. Right now I am pretty happy with stock performance.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Right now I am pretty happy with stock performance.

HEHE, I was too , but when you do one mod, you end up getting sucked in :). WE be waiting on your first mod

1 - 5 of 5 Posts