Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a Pa tour during July...starting at Greensburg to Wellsboro (Grand Canyon) then back on the Grand Union of the Republic Hwy (rte 6) and then south back to greensburg...is there anything I should really see? or do? Anybody have any help here?

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you plan on taking I-99, or US-322 at some point, be sure to make a stop in Centre Hall, just over the mountain from my hometown. Really nice area, with a lot of amish farms, and (for the most part) relatively few housing developments. Really nice ride right around sunset time. Sorry, but that's the area I'm firmiliar with. Not so much the greensburg/wellsboro areas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would recommend going to see the Case knife factory in Bradford, Pa. You may have to call ahead to se when the tours are but well worth it. One of few made in USA still going strong. Quite collectable items. Also if not to far east for you is the steam railroad musem in Wilkes barre. Old turntable that they demonstrate certain time during day using old steam engines along with musem area, many old railroad cars etc. If you have the time visit "bills bike Barh in Bloomsburg Pa. You will surly enjoy that, Google bills bike barn for info. Hopes this helps tour trip Obe

·
Registered
8 Posts
sorry, didnt look at the dates but I hope to make the rally in july but thtas a bit far in advance
. Obe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quite a ride from NS. I am only about 4hrs from Wellsboro. Not sure if I will book a room or hit a nearby camp ground, I have all the gear for that. Contact me when the time gets closer Dave. Obe

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wellsboro

obe Any suggestions on Rts to travel coming from the east. I have been to Laconia N.H. a couple of times,but no farther on a bike. Driven to PA by car on I-95 N.J. pike,but the traffic was crazy. I really wouldn,t want to do that on my nomad. I hope to meet up with members from the northeast and ride down with them. Thanks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I would recommend going to see the Case knife factory in Bradford, Pa.
Can't forget the Zippo lighter factory! Also in Bradford, PA. THAT is an interesting place that makes a great product that has ALWAYS been made in America.

Driven to PA by car on I-95 N.J. pike,but the traffic was crazy. I really wouldn,t want to do that on my nomad.
I95 is a nightmare. There are US routes that can get you to and from PA, a lot less hellish than 95. If you are interested, I can get the names of them for you, but I don't know them off the top of my head.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Zim I am travelling from Nova Scotia to the nomad rally in Wellsboro PA 16-20 July 2012. Hope to meet up with members from Maine or Vermont. However its early and plans can change. I may go down the I-95 part way or Rt.2 to Vermont,not sure what Rt to take through NY to avoid heavy traffic , to Rt 6 to Wellsboro. Any suggestions would be appreicated. Thanks Dave

·
Registered
702 Posts
Zim I am travelling from Nova Scotia to the nomad rally in Wellsboro PA 16-20 July 2012. Hope to meet up with members from Maine or Vermont. However its early and plans can change. I may go down the I-95 part way or Rt.2 to Vermont,not sure what Rt to take through NY to avoid heavy traffic , to Rt 6 to Wellsboro. Any suggestions would be appreicated. Thanks Dave
Just wanted to let you know, I had no idea you were in Nova Scotia. I would mapquest "Nova Scotia" to "Wellsboro, PA". The suggested route will take you down 95, hook up with the Boston I95 loop, and sling you around that way. I would avoid that route at all costs. Riding on the beltway of a major city is too risky for my blood, and I have a death wish. Might I instead suggest "Trans-Canada Hwy to I-91S" as you route. Yes, it will take you two hours out of your way, but you will have a good stretch of scenic highway in central Maine, and you won't be anywhere near Boston or NYC. If you need more details, please let me know and I'll be happy to draw a route up for you.
P.S. Wellsboro might as well be in my back yard. I'll have to make an appearence. :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
David,
Depending on if you meet up with anyone on your ride to Wellsboro, PA, if you ride south on Route 95 into Massachusetts, exit 95 at the MA/NH border on to Route 495 and exit 495 on to the Massachusetts turnpike (Route 90).
Ride west on the turnpike and exit on to Route 84 which will take you thru CT and into New York to Port Jervis at the NY/PA border. Then it is an easy ride to Wellsboro.
This route will get you around Boston, MA and avoid the traffic and bring you to NY/PA border probably as quickly as any route.
The only city you will need to go thru will be Hartford, CT but that is only a problem twice a day.
Route 84 is a nice ride and mostly scenic especially the closer you get to NY. and very scenic in NY.
Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I just remembered this thread existed yesterday. I was wondering, do you need to be a member of a club or organization in order to go? Do you have to stay for all four days? It's a hop skip and a jump from my house, and I'd really like to go to ride with some other Vulcan owners.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Zim The rally is put on by Nomad owners. They have a regional rally one year and the national rally the next year. This rally is the northeast and Canada east group. The dates are 16-20 July. Rooms are booked at the Canyon Motel in Wellsboro.. A couple of riding days are schedule for the Grand Canyon area and a day of socializing. All are welcome, It doesn't matter if you are doing a day trip or are staying in the area. I am sure there will be local riders from your area. Some members ride wings, harley etc. Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Zim The rally is put on by Nomad owners. They have a regional rally one year and the national rally the next year. This rally is the northeast and Canada east group. The dates are 16-20 July. Rooms are booked at the Canyon Motel in Wellsboro.. A couple of riding days are schedule for the Grand Canyon area and a day of socializing. All are welcome, It doesn't matter if you are doing a day trip or are staying in the area. I am sure there will be local riders from your area. Some members ride wings, harley etc. Hope to see you there.
Thanks for the info, David. I was looking online but couldn't find anything useful. All I found was a Canadian motorcycle forum talking about how they were getting a group together to come down. Should be fun, and I just may be there!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts