Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

peeling side engine covers

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ballbreaker 
#1 ·
Checked the search engine to no avail. I have a 2013 Nomad and after changing the black plastic side cover to chrome ( what a difference } I started noticing that the other engine cover beside seems to be peeling what looks like plastic. Started checking out the other engine covers and it looks to me that there are stick on covers on the engine covers. Does this seem right that there are stick on cover and is this really a plastic film that is wearing off. Anyone got any ideas what to do about it. Can the stick ons be taken off and if so what is underneath the stick ons. Any input would be appreciated.

#2 ·
The earlier 1700's(09,10,11) had engine decal fading issues. Have not heard anything about pealing of 13's. I think you can zoom in on the lower case to see where I used paint remover to erase the decal on the dog bowl and polished the aluminum.

#3 ·
The bike is crated and shipped with clear plastic film over each engine decal, the dealer is supposed to remove these during pre-delivery inspection. Just remove them now and you should have like-new decals!
That said, you may still find your decals will get a mottled look over the years and your boot may rub some stenciling off, so I have peeled all my decals off (they are aluminum sheet) and I polished the chrome that was under them.

#4 ·
thanks to TS Tinker and gv550 for the info. I was quite surprised to find the peeling. It is nice to know that the decals are of the aluminum variety and that there is chrome under them that can be polished. I find some of the decals a little to busy for my taste as I have already rubbed the decal near the shifter with my boot. I think I will try heating them up with a hair dryer so make removal a little easier and polish them up. One other question. Has anyone removed the black ring that circles the cover on the brake side lower engine rear cover and replaced it with chrome and if so what did you replace it with. Thanks again.

#5 ·
The one by the shifter is on the water pump cover which is plasti-chrome. The decal is on an aluminum disc and if you get it hot enough for the glue to turn loose it will deform the plastic cover under it. I found this out the hard way. Also the cover under the decal there is not much to look at.

#6 ·
had the same 'yikes' moment after buying my 2012 nomad. noticed the clear plastic peeling on covers. had to remove several of them myself. i just figured it was something the dealer should have done in prepping the bike when new.

#7 ·
Thanks for the heads up TS Tinker. I can usually get myself in enough trouble such as you described. I agree Elmer Fudd51. Makes you wonder exactly what they do to actually charge what they do on PDI charges. They make it sound like they have spent hours and hours on our bikes before it gets to the customer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.