Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a PCV with Ignition and Autotune. I have been fine tuning a map and the bike runs really good. I was playing with the Power Commander software and found where you can have different maps (Fuel and Ignition) for each cylinder or for each gear or both. Does this work on the VV and has anybody setup multiple fuel and ignition tables?

Frank

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I installed a PCV with Ignition and Autotune. I have been fine tuning a map and the bike runs really good. I was playing with the Power Commander software and found where you can have different maps (Fuel and Ignition) for each cylinder or for each gear or both. Does this work on the VV and has anybody setup multiple fuel and ignition tables?

Frank
I have been asked to perform custom mapping utilizing ALL of the tunability within the PCV.

OK, so lets relate this to a V-Twin.

#1...a seperate fuel map for each cylinder for each gear (12 maps)

#2...a seperate ignition map for each cylinder and each gear (again 12 maps)

WOW...I can't imagine what I would have to charge!!:eek: Utilizing the auto-tune obviously would cut the time considerably. The main reason all of this adjustability is built in to the PCV was for the road-racers's needs for different maps for each gear to get the most out of their engines at all of the different speeds seen on a road course.

To tune each cylinder you would need two wide-band sensors, one in each primary tube and a 2 channel module.

I have made a few custom maps on V-twins in the past and have found some differences in the air/fuel ratio needs for the 2 cylinders, but I have not performed individual gear mapping as of now.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Racnray,
I touched base with a Dynojet tech and as you said, we would need two O2 sensors (At-300) to tune for each cylinder. I have the AT-200 so that's out. He also indicated I would need to tap into the gear position sensor and route that to the PCV. The autotune would adjust each table for each gear. Not sure it's worth the effort. I was looking at the software and found that and thought it was interesting. As always, thanks for your response.

Frank

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I think on a liquid cooled bike the benefits of independent cylinder tuning would be not such a big factor as an air cooled bike where it's a pretty well known fact that the rear cylinder runs a bunch hotter (+15% or so).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you tapped into the Gear Position Sensor where would be the best place? In the manual there is a Gear Position Switch Lead on the left side near the battery and a Gear Position Sensor Lead right behind the battery near the rear fender. What wire should be tapped into?

Frank

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wires coming from the Gear Position Sensor are Blue, Green and Black. They plug into another set of wires and those are Green, Light Green and Black/Yellow. Anybody?

Frank

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whoaru99,
I contacted DynoJet and they were the ones that told me I had to tap into the Gear Position Sensor. I asked which wire and they could not give me a wire or color. I'm looking at the 2009 VV Manual on page 16-108. It does list resistance values for the Blue and Black wires. Based on the attached file I'm thinking wire #2 or Blue. I'm hoping no difference between 2009 and 2010 in that regard.

Thanks,
Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I think either blue or black would work...but the PC-V manual seems to indicate tying into the speed sensor so I don't really know the direction the gear position thing takes you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whoaru99,
You are correct regarding the speed sensor. According to the documentation the speed sensor settings are suppose to come from DynoJet already setup for stock tires and gearing. When I looked at the speed settings in the DynoJet software it shows all zeroes. Does anybody running a PCV have values listed under their speed calibration settings?

Thanks,
Frank

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
whoaru99,
I contacted DynoJet and they were the ones that told me I had to tap into the Gear Position Sensor. I asked which wire and they could not give me a wire or color. I'm looking at the 2009 VV Manual on page 16-108. It does list resistance values for the Blue and Black wires. Based on the attached file I'm thinking wire #2 or Blue. I'm hoping no difference between 2009 and 2010 in that regard.

Thanks,
Frank
The gear position ssensor on most FI skoots does a duel purpose. As seen in the schematic there are 3 circuits. #1 is for the nuetral light function.
#2 & #3 are seperate circuits with different resistance values for each gear. This brings into play the dual function of those two circuits.
The #2 is the has the lowest resistance and is usually the circuit for the gear position readout on the dash. The #3 has the higher resistance and is usually used to send a voltage signal that corresponds to the gear you are in, to the
ECU.

I have not set up a Kawi yet but I believe either the blue or black can be used.

HOPE THIS HELPS

RACNRAY

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, making some progress. I called DynoJet to verify what all I needed to do to make the gear dependent mapping work. The tech said I could connect to the Gear Sensor or the Speed Sensor. I tapped into the Blue wire off the Gear Sensor. That wire was then connected to the 3rd hole from the outside of the PCV (listed as speed in the PCV install directions). I then created a gear dependent map in the PCV software. A fuel map and ignition map for each gear. I copied the fuel map and ignition map from the current map I'm running and pasted them into each fuel and ignition table on the gear map. The tech said I would need to calibrate the gear position in the software. Put the bike in first gear, click calibrate. Put the bike in second gear, click calibrate. Do this for each gear. When I went into the software to do this there was an option to use the gear settings based off of I think gear ratio that were already defined from DynoJet. I selected that option instead. Buttoned everything up and went for a ride making sure to get into all 6 gears. The bike ran fine. When I got back I connected my laptop to the PCV to see if the AutoTune made trim adjustments for each table for each gear. It only made trim adjustments for 1st gear. I guess the pre-defined gear by ratio option didn't work. Tomorrow I will go back in and define the gears as suggested by the tech. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Frank

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I finally got the Gear Advance on the PCV to work tonight. Now I have a Fuel Table and Ignition Table for each Gear. I went for a short ride and checked the Trim Tables and the AutoTune made adjustments for each Gear. Next thing is to adjust the A/F ratios in 5th and 6th Gear in the cruise Zone to maybe bump up the mpg.

Frank

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Wow, that's very interesting but it's a lot of maps to deal with. I'm sure it will work out for you as you seem to have a lot of knowledge on that. I'm glad I got the PCV with ignition and that's all. I am so satisfied with my final adjusted maps that I doubt if I will try anything else. Anyway good luck to you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
David,
Strictly a novice when it comes to the PCV. I was playing with the software and saw that it was available. Thought I would give it a try. I don't think the maps will be too bad. I started with my base fuel map I had been running and copied that to each fuel table for each gear. That way I have a good starting point and the AutoTune doesn't have to adjust too much. I also copied the Ignition Map I was running to each Ignition Table for each gear. Again, a good starting point. The AutoTune will automatically adjust while you are riding. If you want to save the Trim Adjustments you can and it will update the Tables accordingly. I'm hopefully in the fine tuning mode now and this will just fine tune it more. If you had an O2 sensor for exhaust manifold you could also do it by Cylinder and Gear. As Ray said earlier, that would be a lot of maps/tables.

Frank

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've been following this thread and I'm a bit confused and need some help. How is Autotune trimming or adjusting anything with no 02 sensors installed, or did you install at least one ?

If it has no wideband readback of the mix I don't see how it's gonna know what to adjust.

The open loop can run on pre-designed or pre-adjusted maps with input from the TPS, MAP, tach and Heat sensors giving data which the ECM can use to decipher which map table to look up, but don't see how it can tell what to trim the maps to ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
R_W_B,
Sorry, I did install one O2 Sensor. It's located just past where the exhaust manifolds join. The O2 Sensor connects to the AutoTune module which connects to the PCV. In PCV basic mode you have one Target A/F Ratio Table, one Fuel Table and one Ignition Table. The O2 Sensor will adjust off that one A/F Table. You can setup Gear Advance then have the same thing but one for each Gear. That way you could have different A/F Ratios or Ignition Advances by Gear. I'm going to up my A/F Ratios in 5th and 6th Gear in the 5-20% throttle zone to see if that will help out my mpg. Hope that helps.

Frank

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ah thanks, I see now. Did Dynojet sell you the bung or did they just tell the size and you found it elsewhere ?

Did you drill and weld it yourself ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
R_W_B,
DynoJet does provide the O2 Sensor bung. I drilled the hole myself based off what they suggested. Took it to a muffler shop and they welded it on ($10). The only thing they didn't provide was the wire to tap into the Speed Sensor but that is another conversation.

Frank

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Ah thanks, I see now. Did Dynojet sell you the bung or did they just tell the size and you found it elsewhere ?

Did you drill and weld it yourself ?
Some have to go this way, others like the V&H pipe I put on my bike, came with a M18-1.5 bung installed for an O2 sensor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts